July 10, 2020, 03:18:49 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mumbo Measurer  (Read 23446 times)
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2006, 11:06:37 AM »

VERY NICE !!!!! But if you turn the slider back around , it looks like you can get another 2 1/4 inches added to the crab. LOL !!   It looks great!! A job very well done.
Mike
But you will only need it that way in Fla.,  Wink  Grin

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
frankwyte4

Steam 'em if ya got 'em

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2006, 11:35:46 AM »

thats a real nice job,  I love the logos on it thats great.  hurry up and patent it before you see the imitations being sold at schnaitmans,   right next to the launch permits.... Grin

What hits you was not meant to miss you, and what misses you was not meant to hit you
Potty Mouth
Lifetime Member

Location: Still, somewhere 'tween the steampot and the cooler

Whatever... SSDD

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2006, 04:17:10 PM »

I like!!! Cool

"Not all that can be counted, counts. And not all that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein
mreinke

New to Crabbing !

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2006, 04:32:10 PM »

AWWWWWWW  comon now RD , dont bust my bubble about Florida . I havent even moved there yet.
Oh well theres always Bass fishing. LOL
Mike

Mike
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2006, 06:09:03 PM »

AWWWWWWW  comon now RD , dont bust my bubble about Florida . I havent even moved there yet.
Oh well theres always Bass fishing. LOL
Mike
You took it the wrong way,what I meant was that you will only need the extra 1 1/2 of measurement to measure Mumbos in Fla.  Wink Grin

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne

Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2006, 07:13:27 PM »

Real nice.  I like that... I agree with Don.. turn the end around and you've got a winner.

Will trade for a bait cutter! Cheesy

Git 'r dun!
fla chicken necker
In Memoriam 08/2013

Love those Jimmy's

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2006, 08:21:34 PM »

Thanks for all the positive comments. As I had told Kingcrabber, it could be made of several other materials, acrylic sheeting/aluminum.......But I always have some wood on hand and the tools required to work it. It was the concept I was targeting after reading KC's post on being open to  ideas on how he could resolve the measuring issues he was facing as the moderator of the Records and Citations topic on this site. Originally, I was thinking of an upside down version of this where the crab is measured from above but that would almost prohibit one from holding the caliper and shooting the photo, so I opted for this hands free design. Until yesterday I'd never put a crab on it, it works. To photograph you have to do a little positing of the left claw as to not impede the light of site to the rule. If your just measuring you could lay the crab tight to the stop and slide the measuring stop to the point and remove the crab to read. I know it's not a mumbo, but here's a photo of it in use.

Al

HATE THE HAWK---NOT THE HAWK'ER!
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2006, 09:26:16 PM »

Real Nice CN, 2thumbsup

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
tattoo

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2006, 09:27:42 PM »

nice, where do I get one at HuhHuhHuh

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
crabbin bull
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2006, 09:33:10 PM »

Great job leaves no doubt in measureing.

If winning isn't everything,why do you play the game...

SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2006, 11:33:24 PM »

I like it; nice job! Wink

Retired in paradise!
crabologist
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2006, 08:28:23 AM »

Thanks for all the positive comments. As I had told Kingcrabber, it could be made of several other materials, acrylic sheeting/aluminum.......But I always have some wood on hand and the tools required to work it. It was the concept I was targeting after reading KC's post on being open to  ideas on how he could resolve the measuring issues he was facing as the moderator of the Records and Citations topic on this site. Originally, I was thinking of an upside down version of this where the crab is measured from above but that would almost prohibit one from holding the caliper and shooting the photo, so I opted for this hands free design. Until yesterday I'd never put a crab on it, it works. To photograph you have to do a little positing of the left claw as to not impede the light of site to the rule. If your just measuring you could lay the crab tight to the stop and slide the measuring stop to the point and remove the crab to read. I know it's not a mumbo, but here's a photo of it in use.

Al
Looks real nice and I see no reason it won't work . The only thing you might want to consider changing ( and this is just an opinion) is putting the actual ruler on the floor part of the device . That way you could take the photo looking down . Again this is just a thought .

Live To Crab And Crab To Live !!!!
masspi

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2006, 08:43:12 AM »

It is really a good looking device, but as an "Arm Chair Quarterback", I would do one more thing.  The area where the points hit should be metal coated so the very sharp points don't penetrate the wood.  I just know someone would complain if there was a hole the point went into and they were deprived of a 1/16 of an inch.
Islander
Lifetime Member

"Life is simple, its just not easy."

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2006, 02:46:21 PM »

Great idea!!  thumbsup

Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BITE ME

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2006, 06:48:40 PM »

It is really a good looking device, but as an "Arm Chair Quarterback", I would do one more thing.  The area where the points hit should be metal coated so the very sharp points don't penetrate the wood.  I just know someone would complain if there was a hole the point went into and they were deprived of a 1/16 of an inch.

I thought I said the same thing a couple of days ago....or as Yogi Berra said  "It's deja vu all over again...."  Wink Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID

Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2006, 08:48:18 PM »

You can use a number of things besides wood (plastic, aluminum, titanium  laugh, etc) but I really don't see a problem with it  Wink unless it's coarse wood or you are jacking the crab in there like your first girlfriend which your likely to break the point Shocked  Cool Cool Cool I agree the ruler should be on top but that takes care of the logo. Undecided

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2006, 12:23:51 PM »

BTW..the right bookend "slides" back and forth  Grin

Very observant of you. Now here's how you use it...you put the stationary end under your chin and slide the other end down until it just touches the point on the top of your head. dunce crowngrin laugh
dfran
In Memoriam 07/2017

Labs Rule !!!!!! Crabs ain't bad either !!!

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2006, 01:42:27 PM »

The whole purpose of the slide overlaping the rule is so you can see what the measurement is. Take the picture from the front, slightly above the crab, and you'll have a great picture of the crab and its length. I think the ruler is exactly where it should be. laugh laugh laugh
kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Elvis has left the building....

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2006, 06:14:32 PM »

Very observant of you. Now here's how you use it...you put the stationary end under your chin and slide the other end down until it just touches the point on the top of your head. dunce crowngrin laugh
annoyed smoking

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press? ...The Joker
tattoo

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2006, 07:18:04 PM »

annoyed smoking
Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin laugh laugh laugh laugh Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home