August 26, 2019, 03:01:27 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: oyster prices  (Read 5602 times)
procrabber

Ignore
« on: September 26, 2006, 11:28:31 AM »

anyone know what the retail oyster prices are, or are going to be, starting this season?

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 11:31:19 AM »

PC

Do you oyster?  I was looking for some the other day and forgot it didn't start until next week.  I had some crab imperial left over and wanted to stuff some oysters.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
jp57

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 11:46:54 AM »

I don't know about buying in bulk but in Smyrna, Delaware last weekend they were $6.00 a dozen
Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 01:23:27 PM »

I think I paid about 40-45 a bushel last year.
procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 02:00:40 PM »

I think I paid about 40-45 a bushel last year.

BI was that direct off a waterman?  that is a good deal either which way. 

ran_c

got crabs?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 04:21:25 PM »

wow.....thats crazy....all the boys get around here is 12-15 a bushel...most years it is 10

if love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?
procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 07:09:35 AM »

wow.....thats crazy....all the boys get around here is 12-15 a bushel...most years it is 10

ran-c that is largely due to fears of vibio in the oyster from the gulf depresses demand.  they actually taste better than md oysters but... 

there is really nothing you can do about the vibrio, it is just cause the water is warmer.  chesapeake oysters have ranged from 25-45 for the last 3-4 years

i was asking about retail prices though

R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 07:32:48 AM »

ran-c that is largely due to fears of vibio in the oyster from the gulf depresses demand.  they actually taste better than md oysters but... 

there is really nothing you can do about the vibrio, it is just cause the water is warmer.  chesapeake oysters have ranged from 25-45 for the last 3-4 years

i was asking about retail prices though
Don't be fooled on this one, these gulf oysters are being hauled up north just as hard as they can for the raw bars and resterants, the consumer will end up paying the same price as they to for local oysters, but everybody who touches them makes more than the waterman who caught them

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 08:42:43 AM »

, but everybody who touches them makes more than the waterman who caught them

cant argue with this part  Angry

that is why i completely gave up on the wholsale market.  Id rather risk not selling them and throwing them back.  I can not make money drudging at even $40 a bushel.  A boat costs at least 400/day to operate, and our limit is 12 bu.  pay someone to go out with me, them im in the red  Undecided

vibio is rare, but when a story breaks every other season, it hurts the market for gulf oysters (or al least that is what the distributors tell the watermen)

procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 08:37:22 AM »

so after hunting around, i found out some info i thought people should know

local retailers are selling oysters for $50 a bushel, and claim them to be local (which they appear to be)  the wholesale price right now is 30-40 a bushel.  so for $10 a basket, these guys are paying for all of thier overhead??  i dont think that is possible!  Made me curious, so I asked around about about it.  Found out that if a place buys 2 bushels in baskets, they sell 3 bushel in BOXES.  Actually, i think $50 for 3/4 of a bushel is still a good deal, but you might want to be aware of this  Undecided  I

kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Elvis has left the building....

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 09:04:10 AM »

OK Mark...where do you think they are getting these oysters?..I read an article lately that stated that VA waterman are not harvesting the # of oysters that they had hoped for  Undecided...do you think that these oysters are from southern waters?..i.e..the gulf?  Undecided

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press? ...The Joker
procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 09:16:30 AM »

i think they are MD oysters if they tell you they are MD oysters.  There is a scramble by the buyers so far this year.  Hand tongers cant keep up with demand.  that said, guys are still getting 5-12 bushel per boat.  they just have to work harder for it.  We will see what happens during the dredge season which starts nov 1. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home