December 09, 2019, 09:56:48 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: winter shedding  (Read 5699 times)
jeff l

I love Crabby Pattys!

Ignore
« on: October 09, 2006, 01:15:52 AM »

does anybody know if a crab will molt during winter, if i keep the water temp  right

R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 07:51:12 AM »

yes they will, the problem is finding peelers

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
jeff l

I love Crabby Pattys!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 11:20:40 AM »

yes they will, the problem is finding peelers
what do you do during the winter? do you have a heating system?

R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 12:56:29 PM »

what do you do during the winter? do you have a heating system?
yes i do,a propane pool or jucuzzi heater,but i don't use it much during the winter,i will let my stock of peelers build up to a point were it is worth it and then turn on the heat, right notw at the price of propane it costs me 15 dollars a day to heat the water,when it gets cold it will be 20

- John Wayne
jeff l

I love Crabby Pattys!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 02:52:17 PM »

how many  gal system do u have
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 03:10:44 PM by jeff l » Logged

jeff l

I love Crabby Pattys!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 03:26:17 PM »

also during winter,do  the stock of peelers have to be rasied in the system and then when there ready turn the heat on so they fully molt. Do I have this right?

R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 04:33:01 PM »

I don't have but around 4600 gal's right now,we are going to redo my resivior this winter  for more water capicity,   it's not raising them,when you put a red line peeler in 60 degree water she just wont shed,if she trys to more than likely she will die in the process

- John Wayne
jeff l

I love Crabby Pattys!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 07:39:44 AM »

reason I ask is b/c I was thinking of designing be shed tank with wood then house wrap and then fiber glass, ( like a big ice chest) then install a heater, before winter load it with crabs and wait for peelers.
but at even $5 a day is not really worth it to heat

R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 09:02:10 AM »

reason I ask is b/c I was thinking of designing be shed tank with wood then house wrap and then fiber glass, ( like a big ice chest) then install a heater, before winter load it with crabs and wait for peelers.
but at even $5 a day is not really worth it to heat
I have a 4 by 8 fiberglass over foam tank here if you wanted to make the trip,i think i still have 16 of them stored, could let you have it for $210, thats what i have in them,as we talked about,the time to turn on the heat is in the morning for a short time,just to get the temp up, most days we have in the deep south will maintain it once you get it there

- John Wayne
jeff l

I love Crabby Pattys!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 10:30:53 AM »

I would like to come and get a tank; I don't think I can right now; check out mapquest new aerial view, I went there to see how far you were,even looked at your city. How far are you away from water it looks like you are over a y-shaped river. check out Mandeville, Louisiana, go south to the edge of Lake Pontchartain. right of the causeway(24 mile bridge connecting New Orleans to Mandeville) The next inlet about 3 bends up is where I catch crabs.

jeff l

I love Crabby Pattys!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 07:13:55 AM »

RD, did you make or buy those tanks?

R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 02:51:05 PM »

I bought them, from a friend who in Green Cove Springs who moved to the gulf coast, they are nice tanks

- John Wayne
jeff l

I love Crabby Pattys!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 08:22:30 AM »

RD are you using your heater yet?
my water is fluctuating from 50 to 73 every day.

R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006, 05:59:22 PM »

No,costs way to much to heat my water for just a few crabs, I am going to heat it a few days before the full moon to see if I can get the Albino Stone crab to shed

- John Wayne
magicdog39

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 04:30:06 PM »

How about a solar heating pannel system for the tanks? It could be done I think. After the cost of building it all you would be paying for is the electric to run the pumps.

jeff l

I love Crabby Pattys!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 08:46:46 PM »

How about a solar heating pannel system for the tanks? It could be done I think. After the cost of building it all you would be paying for is the electric to run the pumps.
Great idea! I have looked into that but it cost more then I want to spend right now.

I also looked into building a homemade solar panel, but didnt come up w/ much

Thanks, Jeff

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home