September 16, 2019, 08:48:37 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: torn  (Read 2977 times)
jeff l

I love Crabby Pattys!

Ignore
« on: October 16, 2006, 08:43:09 PM »

torn b/c I am meeting people for dinner in 25 min but, I just checked my crabs and one crab started to lift his shell about 1/4" what do you call this stage and how long do i have intill its a SS

Also should I leave the crab in there after he sheds his shell for a few minutes to swell up?

Thanks, Jeff

jeff l

I love Crabby Pattys!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 11:21:08 PM »

he just got out
 it took from 7:30 -10:00
so 2.5hrs from a1/4 busted shell for this one

R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 01:00:13 AM »

I was gone to Tallahassee to play pool, don't count on that time as a guide sometimes it takes them all night from that stage and sometimes less than a hour, it depends on what you want for a softshell, myself i would leave it in the water for at least 1 hour to plump up, to me it frys up better and is easier to eat

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
jeff l

I love Crabby Pattys!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 01:17:12 AM »

I was gone to Tallahassee to play pool, don't count on that time as a guide sometimes it takes them all night from that stage and sometimes less than a hour, it depends on what you want for a softshell, myself i would leave it in the water for at least 1 hour to plump up, to me it frys up better and is easier to eat
thanks I will do that
is 7 hrs to long?  my other crab  starting busting right after my 1st that was around 10:30-11:00 I still waiting! I am ready for bed
If I left him till morning it would be about 7 hours

R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 01:23:08 AM »

you can't gauge them,what is your water temp? thats the way we slow them down right now so Shelly don't have to get up during the night for just a few crabs,let it stay cold and in the morning we turn on the heat so they will shed in the daylight hrs

- John Wayne

jeff l

I love Crabby Pattys!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 01:27:42 AM »

thanks if she does not bust soon I will just get her in the morning, I will make sure my heater is unpluged .

R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 01:30:45 AM »

There you go the colder water slows them way down and you will still have between 2 and 3 hrs be for she papershells, and if you have never fried up a paper shell try it sometime, i like the crunch,  Grin  .............bedtime  C U

- John Wayne
jeff l

I love Crabby Pattys!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 09:25:34 AM »

Tell me what you think of this idea, now I don't think it would work work large scale but it might work for someone like me. here it goes take a buster which say will take 1to 5 hrs to molt and you got to go pick up your mother in law at the airport in 1 hr. what u going to do confused so i have been thinking of a way to remove  the SS for the water after it molts or at least a time frame. I have a moterized plan still in thought but here is the simple idea; u ready its going to get really high tech here----------take a bucket w/salt water and poke a little hole and time how fast the water comes out , get it to last 3,4,5 hrs what ever. Maybe stick a heater in there to keep temp high. then when you get home stick him in the fridge. What do you think?

B/c like last night I could not really control the temp b/c it was to hot out side

R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 10:39:05 AM »

Might work, did you get to save your ss last night?you are controling the temp just by not heating it,right now it will still cool off lower than the sea water temp. even on a warm night,our seawater temp is still 81  water temp in my system this morning 69

- John Wayne
jeff l

I love Crabby Pattys!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 10:44:59 AM »

I think the SS was to for along I am going to cook him anyway

R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 10:48:19 AM »

They have some reciepes on here for cooking them, they call them buckrams or something like that, I just bring my peanut oil up to 370 and deep fry it

- John Wayne
jeff l

I love Crabby Pattys!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 11:11:32 AM »

They have some reciepes on here for cooking them, they call them buckrams or something like that, I just bring my peanut oil up to 370 and deep fry it
i will try that

jeff l

I love Crabby Pattys!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 09:08:15 AM »

I think the SS was to for along I am going to cook him anyway
cooked him if any thing i like them better that way. also found he fryed better
thanks jeff

R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 10:06:26 AM »

cooked him if any thing i like them better that way. also found he fryed better
thanks jeff
Me to, the guys in NYC like them that way better to

- John Wayne

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home