May 16, 2021, 01:50:26 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wye=wind,waves, rope burn!  (Read 8464 times)
04ness

Im Feelin Crabby!

Ignore
« on: October 22, 2006, 06:53:43 PM »

Well, made my final pilgrimage to the Wye today.

The wind was blowin the waves were poundin, and the friggen a-holes were out in force.

You know, if I were cruising a 40+ ft mega boat at 35 knots down the middle of a narrow river channel, and I saw a guy in an 11' Jon boat powered by a Minn-kota, trying to pull traps in a stiff breeze 30 yards to the side 0f the channel, I would probably back off the twin diesels a little so as not to turn him into the Poseidon!! at least I wouldn't blast by him 3 friggen times!! and I wouldn't blow directly down his trap line 3 feet away from his floats scattering them all over, and I wouldn't have the balls to wave EACH TIME I went by!!

Anyway---

went out of Bennett point landing about 8:00 and headed about 1/2 mile up river. crabbed between 15-26' deep. 15 traps      can you say rope burn?!! 

was extremely difficult due to the aforementioned fiasco. wound up with a dozen solid crabs. had 4-5 throw backs. seemed to hit at 15-20 ft off and on had many dry runs.

was not a very enjoyable day to end the season, but at least the wife and I had a little crab & Grog feast to celebrate the ending of my first official season as a Wye crabber!

------Brad
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 07:27:44 PM »

Hey Brad, that sounds like poor Mike2. Shocked I think I counted 6 times when he went by Roll Eyes, wrong side of the channel, unless he flushed someone else. Should have let me know you were going couldn't have been that far away Sad, I think you would have had a little better luck, plenty of room to join us, right depth bad location:-\ Next year will be better I am sure. Wink Cool Cool

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 09:43:14 PM »

At least you got some, and i am sure you and the wife enjoyed them.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
04ness

Im Feelin Crabby!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 11:13:45 PM »

HI JC,

didnt decide to go until about 7:00 Sat night. was kind of a spur of the moment thing.

I think the area I was in had potential, but the waves, wind and such made it difficult. also the river is narrow there, and in my little boat it can get dangerous pretty quick.

well I have a good 6 months to prepare for '07 , maybe with a little tutoring ill be more efficient next year..

-------Brad
mrscharms
Lifetime Member

I REALLY LOVE crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 11:21:18 PM »

Brad, there are always a few a-holes out there to mess you up...and I'm sorry!  Now we have a new season to look forward to....just keep the faith....and hope that people will finally learn boating ettiquette!  It is just not right for someone to flood your boat or create serious waves...but they are out there and you have to come to expect it nowadays.  I consider myself a very polite person, but you should hear me cursing out on the water when the inconsiderate boaters leave you in their wake.  It's not going to go away!

Janice

craboholic

I got crabs!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 06:20:17 AM »

That must have been me in the 40 ft mega cruiser Smiley

Sorry  Grin

(and then I woke up...heheehhe)
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 01:22:55 PM »

Grin Grin Grin laugh laugh laugh laugh

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Islander
Lifetime Member

"Life is simple, its just not easy."

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 02:19:45 PM »

Hey Brad, sorry to hear about your bad experience at the Wye.  Sad
Did that mega boat look something like this one?  Undecided This guy nearly sunk a few other members last season.  Angry

Syoung

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 02:35:10 PM »

Hey Brad, sorry to hear about your bad experience at the Wye.  Sad
Did that mega boat look something like this one?  Undecided This guy nearly sunk a few other members last season.  Angry

He blasted right by me and my son in Shaws Bay last year. Looked like he went out of his way to scream 30-40 yards away from us. My son is not little now (6'  Shocked from 5' last year), but he could easily see he was not an adult.
04ness

Im Feelin Crabby!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 06:39:07 PM »

no it was a different boat, more of a deeper displacement type hull,  the kind that throws an extremely high (4ft) wall of water down the sides. and it whitecaps all the way to the shore.

this guy was on my side of the channel both ways. he had several hundred yards of wide open channel and he deliberatly had to hug the edge where I was. The final time he came around the pilling on the point and hugged my line of traps about 3 feet to his port side! I saw him coming and had to back off and get into position to bow into the wake.  I am pretty experienced on the water, and I knowI am pushing the saftey limits of my little boat, but I am confident in my seaman ship abilities, but I can say I was actually scared as the wall of water was approaching my boat. I thought for sure I would be swimming for shore with a bushel basket under my arm!!

---Brad

max

I have a goat with no teeth

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 07:40:54 AM »

Brad: sorry to hear about the boat issue, I myself have a small boat and had the very same issue this year on the Bohemia. I was scared... so scared I had a pucker factor of about 12 out of 10 on the Dewey, Cheatem and Howell flatulence meter. As a matter of fact if the boat had tipped over I could have held onto the seat with no hands...if you know what I mean Wink It's a shame that more people don't have better common sense, I am convinced that most of the people out there are good boaters. Of course it only takes one jerk to help form an opinion. We could always team up and rivet our boars together....then we would have a 21 footer Smiley of course with a electric motor on one side and a small gas motor on the other we would only go around in circles. Woooot!! springs just around the corner!!
ravlegend
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 08:59:10 AM »

no it was a different boat, more of a deeper displacement type hull,  the kind that throws an extremely high (4ft) wall of water down the sides. and it whitecaps all the way to the shore.

... I thought for sure I would be swimming for shore with a bushel basket under my arm!!

---Brad

Brad -

When you see an oncoming 4' wave, what exactly should you do?
Hold on for dear life?  or steers the boat toward the shore line ?(thus perpendicular to the oncoming wave)

I glad you have planned out what items to save and what not prior to any mishaps... Wink
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 09:01:16 AM by ravlegend » Logged
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 09:16:44 AM »

Brad -

Hold on for dear life?  or steers the boat toward the shore line ?(thus perpendicular to the oncoming wave)

I glad you have planned out what items to save and what not prior to any mishaps... Wink
You go head up into it and keep enough power on to keep you that way

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
Crabslayer
Supporting Member

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter soon to be Java Sea

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 09:48:59 AM »

Not excusing anyone for boat operation as everyone is responsible for their wake, however, the Wye is a large body of water especially near the mouth and an 11' jon boat is not the best boat to be using.  Especially this time of year as temps are falling.  It may be ok in protected portions of the Wye but where larger vessles are running you may want to reconsider.

This is how it's going to go.  After I kick your A$$ i'm going to run you through the wood chipper and put you in containers in the freezer to use in my crab pots!  The really sad part?  You let an old man kick your A$$!!!
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 11:04:21 PM »

Good advice, I spent the summer with broke ribs from big boat wakes and I was in a 24 skiff,it was mostly from me not paying attention,  Embarassed

- John Wayne

04ness

Im Feelin Crabby!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2006, 07:59:21 PM »

Brad -

head directly into it under moderate power. dont take it at an angle or broadside, you will easily flip.  usually on a small boat, the first wave is not a problem,the problem is, when you come down off that wave and hit the 2nd, the bow will plow into the wave and water will come over the bow.
04ness

Im Feelin Crabby!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2006, 08:09:37 PM »

Not excusing anyone for boat operation as everyone is responsible for their wake, however, the Wye is a large body of water especially near the mouth and an 11' jon boat is not the best boat to be using.  Especially this time of year as temps are falling.  It may be ok in protected portions of the Wye but where larger vessles are running you may want to reconsider.

I know im pushing the envelope with my boat, but I do exercise extreme caution. I dont go that close to the mouth. the areas I crab are fairly "protected", maybe a small wind chop. the only concern is the larger vessels that go down the channel. and if they are where they are supposed to be I can work around their wakes. but when the deliberately come to the edge of the channel, on the wrong side, and not at least back off the throttle then I feel its their negligence. There are also many kayakers out there where Im at as well, I personally would have more consideration for others trying to enjoy the waterway as well.
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2006, 11:28:35 PM »

I know im pushing the envelope with my boat, but I do exercise extreme caution. I dont go that close to the mouth. the areas I crab are fairly "protected", maybe a small wind chop. the only concern is the larger vessels that go down the channel. and if they are where they are supposed to be I can work around their wakes. but when the deliberately come to the edge of the channel, on the wrong side, and not at least back off the throttle then I feel its their negligence. There are also many kayakers out there where Im at as well, I personally would have more consideration for others trying to enjoy the waterway as well.
You are not using caution if you are pulling traps next to the channel in a 11 ft boat that is best suited for being a flower bed in your yard, i have been on a few SAR'S for people in small boats who thought the rest of the world should cater to them because they wanted to go on the water in a bath tub,none of them ended in a happy ending

- John Wayne
04ness

Im Feelin Crabby!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 06:49:32 PM »

You are not using caution if you are pulling traps next to the channel in a 11 ft boat that is best suited for being a flower bed in your yard, i have been on a few SAR'S for people in small boats who thought the rest of the world should cater to them because they wanted to go on the water in a bath tub,none of them ended in a happy ending

Hi R D,

didnt want to turn this into a pissing contest. I take full responsibility if something should happen on the water(god forbid) I dont feel anyone should "cater" to a boater in a smaller vessel, everyone has a right to enjoy natures bounty. and I wouldnt think of trying to venture out into the main part of the channel.  I know big boats throw big wakes and I respect that and even envy the larger boats out there.

but, someone to deliberately go out of their way to come as close as possible to me is no different than someone deliberately trying to run me off the road.  He was three feet from my trap floats and they were nowhere near the channel. he did this 3 times!

bottom line, everyone has the right to use the river, but everyone has the responsibility to use it safely.

Good luck down there and be safe!  ------- Brad
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2006, 07:51:05 AM »

My bad then,but you posted that you were to the side of the channel and the big boat was in the channel,

- John Wayne

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home