February 23, 2018, 11:27:14 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hack sauce  (Read 11936 times)
delawhere

Ignore
« on: March 30, 2003, 11:37:25 PM »

Some people like to dip their crab meat in apple cider vinegar or butter.  Although I like crab meat just fine plain, we always have Hack sauce on the table when we serve crabs.
   This recipe came from the late friend of my Grandfather's and father's who name was Hack.  They all belonged to the same club.  Their club would help out with church fund raisers which included an annual crab feast in the fall.  Each year, Hack would bring a gallon jug of this red sauce that all the people at his table would dip their crab meat into.   People at the crab feast that didn't know better would ask the folks in the kitchen for some of the dipping sauce, not realizing it wasn't served.   Hack would give my dad a bowl of the tangy red sauce which he shared with the rest of us.
   One year just before the event I decide to call Hack to see if he would give me his recipe, which he did without hesitation, saying " 'at stuff'll keep o'er a year in the fridge".
   That year my family brought our own jug.  As Hack passed our table on his way to fill up his pitcher, my father called him over to show him I made some of the sauce.  He stuck out his empty plastic beer cup and said "lets give it try".  My dad poured him about shot which he slurped down.  He smacked his lips a few times as if to savor the after taste.   He glanced at me as a salty smile came over his whethered face and said in his rough voice "not as good as mine" and continued over to the tap.
   I don't know if he held out on an ingrediant or if my sauce just needed to age throughout the crabing season, but everyone in my family loved it.   Every year after that, my family would all ask if I was going to make Hack's sauce,(which sounds like hack sauce).  
  It's become tradition to make the first batch of Hack's sauce each spring, usually memorial day weekend.  I spread a few jars amongst my family and friends.  Its a way for me to burn off some of the excitement that builds up, knowing that crabbing season is just around the corner.  
  I find that one batch seldom makes it through an entire season.  My family uses it for more than just crab meat.  French fries, potato chips, and even just straight out of the jug.  One friend told me it makes a mean bloody mary, which I have yet to try.
Enjoy.

Hack's Sauce (a.k.a. Hack sauce)
3/4 quart of white vinegar (I also like it with apple cider vinegar)
2 1/2 quarts of water
28oz bottle Heinz Ketchup
    It seems Heinz now only sells 14oz or 24oz bottles of ketchup
1 bottle (about 3/4 cup) of "wee-zeeana" (louisiana) hot sauce
   I use Crystal but also like Tabasco for a more spicy batch
3 tbl chili powder
4 tbl sugar
1 tbl cayene (more for hotter sauce)
salt to taste
I add some crushed red pepper flakes but this is optional.

Combine all ingredients in a large pot.  Wisk well, bring to a boil.   Boil for about 7 -10 minutes to thicken.  If thicker sauce is desired boil longer.   Stir occasionally.
  Let cool.  Taste, cleanse pallet with a sip of beer, taste again.  Repeat often.   Pour into jugs, jars or what ever is around the house that you can fit in the fridge.  Shake well before serving.  Pour into several small bowls on table.  Dip crab meat.  
At the end you find lots of meat at the bottom of the bowl so don't throw out without checking.  

NJ Grasshopper

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2003, 11:54:34 PM »

Yo 'delawhere'

Not only is this a great recipe for the 'ole hot summer' crab picken .... but ..... your views and comments are the best that we can find on this web site.

Please continue with your descriptions and observations. You have a unique way with words and thoughts that bring out the beautiful picture of the Blue Crab and the enjoyment of the "FEAST".

Hope to hear from you again soon ..........

Southern NJ Grasshopper
Steve
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2003, 08:01:43 AM »

Sounds like a great recipe... sounds like it'd be good on hickory smoked barbecue as well! I'll be trying your recipe soon... will post my results here. Thanks for sharing!!   Cheesy
delawhere

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2003, 09:26:01 AM »

Time to make the Hack Sauce!
 If anyone tries it my dad recommends using the Apple Cider vinegar.  
  I gave him a quart that I made a few weeks ago and it's gone already.  The funny thing is, he hasn't had any crabs he drinks it straight.   Grin

livenlrnat40

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2003, 09:53:16 PM »

Speaking of great sauces...we go to a Restaurant in Phila., for hard shells when we can't catch our own. We take out their sauce when we do catch them.  Grin Sauce recipe is a 30 year old secret, but I have come close to duplicating. Like 'hack sauce" I think it is vinegar based...some Old Bay, too..just wish I had exact ingredients and proportions! Has anyone ever had this sauce??

Domino

Incredible Hawk

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 09:19:51 AM »

I gave him a quart that I made a few weeks ago and it's gone already.  The funny thing is, he hasn't had any crabs he drinks it straight.   Grin

Yo delawhere...made a 1/2 batch of Hack Sauce last night.  It's chilling out in the fridge in an empty cider vinegar jug, just waiting for some crabs to come home. 

I had a few spoonfuls in between beer sips.  I like it!  Cheesy  Smooth, slightly sweet, savory, a little pucker in the jaw from the vinegar, and a low level burn from the cayenne that makes you want more. 

Only thing is: I might put less chili powder next time cause it made it a little bitter...I think, but that may mellow out with time as the spices all come together in the fridge.

Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Domino

Incredible Hawk

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 09:59:21 AM »

BTW: I had to figure it out in ounces and/or cups cause I have no quart measurer-er...

24 oz of vinegar (3 cups)
80 oz water       (10 cups)
28 oz kethcup    (3.5 cups)
6 oz hot sauce   (3/4 cup)
3 tbl chili powder
4 tbl sugar
salt to taste
delawhere

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 10:13:19 AM »

Cool - Now Just add crabs  Smiley
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 10:52:12 PM »

Can't wait to give it a try, THANKS.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
crabbyds lil girl
Lifetime Member

I love crabbing with my dad:)

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2006, 09:38:08 PM »

had some of the hack sauce tonight with my crabs it was good and it made my mouth feel like it was on fire...mmmmmmm

If you wanna catch a crabby if you want to catch a crabby you gotta go like this click click click!!

c-hawk-25

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 07:24:45 PM »

great recipe. been making it for the last 3 years. i fill a 1.75 liquior jug and keep in the fridge.tis year alone i have made it three times and i am going to make it again right now. for those who havent tried it alls i can say is this stuff is real good
Mutzy crab man
Lifetime Member

9-1/8th 7-31-08 Wye

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 08:11:04 PM »

BTW: I had to figure it out in ounces and/or cups cause I have no quart measurer-er...

24 oz of vinegar (3 cups)
80 oz water       (10 cups)
28 oz kethcup    (3.5 cups)
6 oz hot sauce   (3/4 cup)
3 tbl chili powder
4 tbl sugar
salt to taste

About how much does that make??

Outta the river an into my pot...FUHGEDDABOUDIT..
c-hawk-25

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 09:36:35 PM »

i cut the recipe in half and it fills just shy of a 2 liter bottle.great stuff. it is cooling down now. will get into the new batch tomorrow with what i have left of the crabs from this weekend
billdolfski

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 09:36:31 PM »

Made it today.  Cut the recipe in half.

Then I cut the water used in half again.  Didn't add any cayenne pepper because I didn't want the people I was giving it to to dislike it, and I used a spicy chili powder anyway.  Seems like it mellowed a bit now that's it's not super hot (temp wise).  May add ground cayenne later.

The result?

Very happy with it.  Very tangy and spicy.  Only had it by the spoonful while making it, plan on trying it with cocktail shrimp soon.  Will take with me come crabbing time.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 07:14:24 AM by billdolfski » Logged
DOMNIKDYL
Lifetime Member

Tag! your it!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 04:13:52 PM »

Remembered seeing this or another thread about it resurrected not too long ago.  Made a half batch and boiled it down to about 1/2 the consistency of ketchup.  [dang] tasty!  Only thing I did different, was substitute 12 oz of beer for 12 oz water.  I added my salt to the beer to get rid of the carbonation so it wouldn't boil over while reducing.  After making it, decided to float some JO on the bowl of sauce for an added kick while dipping.  Then did the same with Old Bay.  As much as I like JO, the layer of Old Bay seemed to go better with the sauce. Next time will make a full batch.  Oh BTW, used 1/2 apple cider and 1/2 white for the vinegar.  Good recipe, thanks.

The weather is here, wish you were beautiful.

cedar999

Catch and release - into the grease!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 09:37:08 PM »

It seems to me that this recipe would benefit from the addition of horseradish, anyone tried that?

-Paul
VaGriller

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 05:10:59 PM »

This sauce is what North Carolina people call "red sauce/Carolina Red" for bbq.

It literally has the exact same ingredients I use for my pork BBQ red sauce.

crabbywaters
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 08:04:01 PM »

Man, this stuff sounds good as h&%%. Plan on making some soon.

I wish i was a crab.
Mag
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2017, 08:27:50 PM »

Just a little bump to get this recipe back out there. She was buried pretty deep and there's a bunch of new guys and gals here that may be looking for a dipping sauce.
NJGriller

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2017, 09:45:23 AM »

Thanks for bump the Mag, I'll be making this soon.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home