July 10, 2020, 06:27:56 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stone Crab question  (Read 10122 times)
Penthor

Ignore
« on: June 15, 2008, 12:42:26 AM »

Here in TX we are allowed to take only 1 claw, at the first joint, next to the pincher.  I have trouble taking the claw off at the first joint.  More often than I like to admit it comes off at the body. Are there any data on what percentage of these crabs die; I mean the ones where the claw comes off at the body?  I'm pretty sure they regrow if it comes off at the first joint, but I don't know if it comes off at the body.

Penthor
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 10:41:42 AM »

IF YOU BREAK THAT CLAW AT THE FIRST JOINT 100 PERCENT OF THEM WILL DIE,you have to break the claw at the body in a nice clean break for the crab to survive and regenerate a new one,the crab has the ability to turn loose the claw at the body in case it gets stuck or hung up.

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
Penthor

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 10:51:15 AM »

I guess maybe I was misinformed.  But often when I take the claw off at the body it yanks out some meat with it.  Is that normal?  It sure looks bad.  Maybe I'm doing it all wrong.
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 07:07:49 PM »

When they said 1st joint they meant the first one from the body,if its not a clean break and there is meat with it then the crab will die,it is almost impossable for me to teach you how to break claws over the internet but you can't wring it off it has to be a quick snap.

- John Wayne
spinfreak

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 07:36:12 PM »

Ditto on what RD said about breaking it at the first joint by the body.

As far a sremoving the claws, again....ditto on what RD said. Kind of difficult to explain. If the crab is flat, and facing you, it's kind of a down and towards the middle motion.

Here's a few video's on YouTube that shows it (not my videos).....

thumbsup

iNcUrAbLe

Lovely Crabs Everywhere! ;)

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 04:49:30 PM »

whats the point to remove the claw?

I'm too sexy, I'm too hot - I'm everything you are not
Crab A Lot

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 10:28:01 PM »

The claws are edible,i use to buy them by the bag they are steamed and have a very sweet taste 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Chesapeake Bay Crabs are the best!!!!!!!!
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 12:31:59 AM »

In Fla. it is illegal to keep the crab,you can only harvest the claws and if they are broken correctly then the crab will regenerate new ones.

- John Wayne
Crab A Lot

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 02:01:29 PM »

In Fla. it is illegal to keep the crab,you can only harvest the claws and if they are broken correctly then the crab will regenerate new ones.

Rd,

Are the crabs (body) edible.........alway bought the claws from the fish docks when we would go down O.c never saw the whole crab for sale maybe they were illegal to keep in Maryland Huh Huh Huh

Chesapeake Bay Crabs are the best!!!!!!!!
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 05:14:01 PM »

They are edible but just not that much meat in one

- John Wayne

ilovefood

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 11:50:28 AM »

For anyone that watches the two videos DO NOT break off the claws as shown in the first video...it kills the crab. Only the first three sections from the tip of the claw are broken off. It is legal in Florida to keep 2 claws, though it is recommended that you only take the biggest one if it is 2 3/4" or bigger.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 11:56:26 AM by ilovefood » Logged
ACFISHERIES

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 09:48:09 PM »

For anyone that watches the two videos DO NOT break off the claws as shown in the first video...it kills the crab. Only the first three sections from the tip of the claw are broken off. It is legal in Florida to keep 2 claws, though it is recommended that you only take the biggest one if it is 2 3/4" or bigger.
Yep the guy in the 1st video is killing the crab. Who recommended and why is it recommended that you only keep one legal claw? FMRI has some interesting research on stone crab mortality rates vs claw removal.

Good dogs, Rotgut whiskey, All the BS you can stand
ilovefood

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 02:49:02 PM »

The FWC is the one doing the recommending. They say having at least one claw gives the crab the advantage to more easily find food and to protect itself. Thanks for the tip on the FMRI research...will look that up.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home