November 19, 2019, 05:09:14 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: not too much longer...  (Read 10453 times)
eelfisher

Ignore
« on: April 01, 2003, 07:32:09 PM »

april is finally here! just caught my first couple dozen eels. crabs wont be too far behind. can someone in the maryland/ virginia area tell me what comm. eelers use for eel bait? horseshoe crab situation doesnt look good. females goin for 1.50 each up here.

i keep tellin myself i'm gonna quit the eel biz but once they come out, i get the bug. Roll Eyes
KaseyWolf

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2003, 12:48:59 AM »

I have only one experience with eels.  Several years ago my now ex-gf caught one on her fishing line.  Didn't know what the heck it was at first.  Couldn't get the hook loose....she wanted to keep it so I put it up on the bank.  Four hours later that sucker was still alive!  Found out you have to peel the skin off like you do catfish...I cut the head off, was going to peel the skin off, I swear that thing was still trying to reach around and bite me.

That thing had the most evil eyes I've ever seen.  
Kasey

april is finally here! just caught my first couple dozen eels. crabs wont be too far behind. can someone in the maryland/ virginia area tell me what comm. eelers use for eel bait? horseshoe crab situation doesnt look good. females goin for 1.50 each up here.

i keep tellin myself i'm gonna quit the eel biz but once they come out, i get the bug. Roll Eyes
flying dutchman

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2003, 03:35:11 AM »

:DI DID USE SALTED EEL AT ONE TIME BUT IT BECAME TO EXPENSIVE FOR THE SIZE TROUT LINE I WAS USING SO I WENT TO CHICKEN NECKS MY FRIEND WAS USING BULL LIPS BUT YOU HAVE TO WATCH IT BECAUSE OF THE RING WORMS YOU CAN GET FROM THEM.
Kodi

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2003, 07:50:42 AM »

Several years ago my wife and I were crabbing from the bank over on the eastern shore of Maryland.  We were using small collapsible traps.  We weren't having much luck when my wife said she had a very heavy crab in one of the traps.  She pulled it up and instead of a crab she had the biggest eel I'd ever personally seen caught in the bay.

She saw what it was and handed me the line.  I pulled it out and sat the trap on the ground.  The thing got out and into a small puddle of water on the ground.  It was about two and a half feet long and was as big around as my forearm.  I was trying to catch it and was going to cut it up for bait when this older guy came over and asked what I intended to do with it.

I told him use it for bait and he said..."[Sam Hill] man don't do that.  Them things make good eatin'."  I told him that if he could catch it he could have it.  

He took his shirt off and wrapped it around his had and snatched that eel up as quick as you please.  Off he went with his supper.

Big eel though.
Kodi
bluecrabs

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2003, 04:04:47 PM »

:DI DID USE SALTED EEL AT ONE TIME BUT IT BECAME TO EXPENSIVE FOR THE SIZE TROUT LINE I WAS USING SO I WENT TO CHICKEN NECKS MY FRIEND WAS USING BULL LIPS BUT YOU HAVE TO WATCH IT BECAUSE OF THE RING WORMS YOU CAN GET FROM THEM.

Ring Worms from Bull Lips? Awe come on. Where did you get this notion?(http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/h0/dizzy.gif)

eelfisher

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2003, 10:49:10 PM »

kaseywolf, you sure that was an eel ya caught?  ???american eels wont bite ya and their eyes arent anything evil looking. just curious...

i sell my eels a half ton at a time. sometimes i get an audience when i transfer the eels from the water to the hauling truck. you should see the faces of the curious ones when they see all those eels! they cant believe they come from the same water that they swim in. they get really freaked out and are suprised when i tell them they're harmless. i tell them what they really need to look out for are those nasty snappers and water moccasins..... ignorance is bliss i guess

kodi.....you never tried smoked eel? very, very delicious!!  white meat like a fish, eat it rite off the backbone. if ya ever get the chance, you should try it
Kodi

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2003, 07:03:07 AM »

Eelfisher,

Can't say as I ever tried smoked eel.  I've heard of it but have never seen it sold anywhere.  But if I do I'll sure give it a shot.

Kodi
KaseyWolf

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2003, 01:00:06 AM »

Well, I had never seen a freshwater eel before, but I have seen eels before and I know the difference between a snake and an eel.  So I figured it was an eel.  It was about 8-10 inches long and about 1.5 - 2 inches in diameter.

Kasey

kaseywolf, you sure that was an eel ya caught?  ???american eels wont bite ya and their eyes arent anything evil looking. just curious...

eelfisher

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2003, 06:48:46 PM »

if that was an american eel ya caught, it doesnt suprise me ya seen it in fresh water. they live in both fresh and salt water. in fact, the female spends most of its life in fresh water.
griffie

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 08:28:44 AM »

looking to buy fresh eel in so Md,  know anyone selling them,  phone no pls.   S

DOMNIKDYL
Lifetime Member

Tag! your it!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 08:55:15 AM »

Dude, this thread is 6 years old!

The weather is here, wish you were beautiful.
ILLSWIMHOME
Lifetime Member

Shake N Bake

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 09:27:33 AM »

I was messed up when I saw April 1 as the date on the first post.  I know the coffee hasn't kicked in yet but I was wondering where the last few weeks went!

Crab on!
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 09:45:51 AM »

Can anyone give me any information about kayaking?     laugh

Blue Crab Advisor to the NJ Marine Fisheries Council

11th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 26 & 27th, 2020
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
Crabpot Man
Lifetime Member

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 10:08:43 AM »

looking to buy fresh eel in so Md,  know anyone selling them,  phone no pls.   S

How much you want?
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 10:14:47 AM »

blackfire??

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee

griffie

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 10:15:11 AM »

ten pounds
griffie

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 10:18:54 AM »

How much you want?

Hi,  ten pounds to start.  Where are you located?  How much per pound?  I'm in Lex pk ,  Md,  how far are you from me?  Thanks
shinyhook

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 10:19:24 AM »

Can eels be harnessed to pull a kayak? laugh laugh laugh
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 10:28:33 AM »

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 beautiful girls.........and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 10:39:05 AM »

Hi,  ten pounds to start.  Where are you located?  How much per pound?  I'm in Lex pk ,  Md,  how far are you from me?  Thanks

If you are only looking for ten pounds, check out Fred's in Waldorf.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home