November 16, 2018, 07:59:48 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: storage in a restaurant  (Read 2082 times)
68Bronco

« on: June 04, 2004, 09:06:15 AM »

I'm a chef. The owner and I are having a disagreement.
He says the softies should be stored in the 38 degree refrigerator live. As the softies start getting soft or look like they're dead or dying (but not smelly) use them first.

I know that this will kill them.

My theory is to clean them immediately upon arrival, when they are at their freshest. Then wrap them, and put them on ice.

Besides being impractical to have to clean as I go in a busy kitchen my theory is that I don't want the softies getting limp. I also know that if I remove the guacamole/mustard, they will not deteriorate as quickly. When hunting, you gut the deer immediately. When fishing you evisorate (sp) the fish immediately. I feel the softies should be cleaned to prevent spoilage.
Personally, I would rather not eat a frozen softie, but I would rather eat a softie that was frozen firm and fresh than a “fresh” softie that was cooked limp.

Any thoughts?
DancinCrab

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 04:37:45 PM »

I am not a pro at this, but I think your method is correct. the best retailer of softies here near me does just what you say, he cleans them immediatedly , wraps them individually in plastic wrap and puts them on a stainless tray on top of ice.

PS he's done this for years and sells hundreds a weekend
madcrab

Say hello to my littl' friend!!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 01:15:01 PM »

Where I work, they get a crate of soft crabs in every three weeks or so.  As the "special" when they first come in, they are eaten quickly, but days after that they are still kept in the "walk in" (fridge) at 36 degrees.  I tell the chef to wrap em up and freeze them, but they pay no attention.  By the way, get one of the other line cooks to clean them for you!!  Grin Wink

"...as a free man, I take pride in saying, I am a doughnut."

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home