May 24, 2018, 11:16:47 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: meeting this month  (Read 29007 times)
joecrabbr

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2007, 06:38:29 PM »

No the problem is recs dont have to report their catch..If they made you report your catch then it wouldnt be a problem. I also think the 300ft of line is to small..make it 600ft..Also either you use traps or a line not both at the same time. I dont have a problem really with what they do..I just feel a few bad apples where I crab has left me with a bad attitude about the recs and their gear..But the running count on rec to comm ratio is about 100 to 1. Cruise down the middle of the WYE on a Saturday in the middle of the day and count how many recs then count how many comms then you will see. Alot of crabs being caught and not reported to the state..Just like reporting your kill in hunting season..No difference.
I agree with ya on mostly everything you said, but see some things a different way. Saturdays on the wye are [Sam Hill] for anybody commercial or not. If you look in the april reports of the TFAC you see that  the commercial guys are deliquent in thier reports
Letters for delinquent 2005 reports:

"Twelve people failed to meet reporting requirements in 2005 and were unable to renew their licenses for the 2006 season.  Each person was personally called to notify them.  Overall, the watermen took care of reporting; the delinquent list went from over 1000 to 12 in 2005.  For the 2006 reporting season, 884 delinquent notices were sent on March 27th. Watermen are responding and we are now down to 686 delinquent reporters; some of these watermen only missed one month."

Also why make the recs have smaller gear? If thats the case, the commercial guys should be limited to how many feet of line they can run. Also have them make starting time the same for everybody, why should the be allowed to crab earlier? I have no problem reporting my catch this season, but id bet the commercial guys would be all over the reports of how many crabs the recs caught, crying saying we are catching all the crabs!! One year its the prices are down, next year its the recs caught all the crabs, then its the gear they use. Im not trying to bitch about the how commercial guys, we are all in it for the same thing...CRABS!!! I  just dont like how they  try to limit the recs like we are to blame, i see it like this when i go crabbing i steer clear of the commercial guys, however they need to understand that when they are running 5000ft of line on a river that 5 miles long, they have 1/5 of the river to them, my 30 chicken necks in no way should be a worry to them
joecrabbr

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2007, 06:44:09 PM »

I tend to agree with this also.  While I think 1200' is too long, and 30 traps is too many, if you cut the gear down without also reducing the catch limit, all that amounts to is people staying out longer and longer to get the same 2 baskets of crabs.  More beers consumed in the blazing sun = more idiots at the ramps = more fights, DUIs, heatstrokes, etc.
how do you see 1200 ft an 30 traps is too much when the commercial guys have unlimited catch an line? i guess two guys in a flat bottom working all day for 2 bushels if their lucky is a threat to the industry.
peteboy

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2007, 06:49:18 PM »

:)Dont worry, be happy! When gas prices hit 5 dollars a gallon there will be plenty of room and crabs for all of us. We might have to boatpool but hey its all about the crabs.
joecrabbr

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2007, 06:52:17 PM »

:)Dont worry, be happy! When gas prices hit 5 dollars a gallon there will be plenty of room and crabs for all of us. We might have to boatpool but hey its all about the crabs.
i thought that was gonna be the case last year, ga scan hit 10$
 a gallon, ill still go
rivercrab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2007, 07:00:08 PM »

12 people out of 6000 didnt report..Well thats a big difference..And they where not dilinquent the whole season. maybe a month here or so. Im done with this conversation..Just stay away from me and we will get along fine. Ive seen more illegal crabbing from recs in one area so I can imagine what it is like all over the bay..Those boys in a flat bottom boat may catch 2 bushel  5 times a day..I see it everyday on the Patapsco. Ive been pretty forgiven recently but this season I think Ill be a big prick. They can let the recs run all the line they want..The comms should just get together and lay all the line they can in the mornings before the recs can start and it would put an end to all this BS. I can assure you there will be no room for anyone around me this year..I have 20k ft of line and Ill run with or without bait just to be a jerk commercial.

Also why should they reduce the amount of line the comms use..We do this for a living not for your Saturday crab feast or I owe my neighbor a favor here are some crabs...Maybe you should think about your job and ask your boss to hire 3 more people to do the same job you are doing and give you 1/4 the pay. But you wouldnt would you? Same difference.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 07:08:35 PM by rivercrab » Logged

DTownCrabber
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2007, 07:09:12 PM »

Everytime this topic comes up it gets turned into a heated battle. I believe Rivercrab(Scott) posted it so us recs could attend and voice our opinion. This topic was posted for informational purposes. If YOU have a bitch, complaint or want to express yourself, just show up at the [dang] meeting. That is the only place your complaints will make a difference. Expressing your opinion here won't do jack! Show up at the meeting, and if you don't then shut the [Sam Hill] up and deal with whatever is handed down to ya.

Why ask WYE...MUMBO'S BABY!!
rivercrab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2007, 07:11:39 PM »

Everytime this topic comes up it gets turned into a heated battle. I believe Rivercrab(Scott) posted it so us recs could attend and voice our opinion. This topic was posted for informational purposes. If YOU have a bitch, complaint or want to express yourself, just show up at the [dang] meeting. That is the only place your complaints will make a difference. Expressing your opinion here won't do jack! Show up at the meeting, and if you don't then shut the [Sam Hill] up and deal with whatever is handed down to ya.

Im going to see who shows up..I can assure that all those on here bitchin wont be there.
DTownCrabber
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2007, 07:18:15 PM »

Im going to see who shows up..I can assure that all those on here bitchin wont be there.

I agree with ya Scott, sometimes it seems we look for stuff to bitch about, good lord willing I will be there, more out of curiosity then anything. I am not sure how much weight an out of towner carries and don't intend to go down and piss anyone off.

CRABSTER
In Memoriam 07/2012
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2007, 07:22:28 PM »

Us chicken neckers ain't complaining

but six bus loads of us neckers will be there

There are people that make things happen.

There are people that watch things happen

Then there are the wing nut's that wonder, what the @#&#  happened
CRABSTER
In Memoriam 07/2012
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2007, 07:25:30 PM »

I agree with ya Scott, sometimes it seems we look for stuff to bitch about, good lord willing I will be there, more out of curiosity then anything. I am not sure how much weight an out of towner carries and don't intend to go down and piss anyone off.

Make sure you have your rec license if out of state

DTownCrabber
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2007, 07:26:12 PM »

Make sure you have your rec license if out of state

Do I need it to attend the meeting??

CRABSTER
In Memoriam 07/2012
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2007, 07:27:34 PM »

Do I need it to attend the meeting??

Better to be safe than sorry

rivercrab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2007, 07:29:16 PM »

Us chicken neckers ain't complaining

but six bus loads of us neckers will be there

6 bus loads out of PA..No wonder the crab population is down.   laugh laugh
mike2u

New London Pa.. My kids call me Mr. Krabs...

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2007, 07:53:29 PM »

Rivercrab,, I agree with you about rec's overstepping there bountries... I've seen many of times rec's crabbing way before there time. and also several occasions, I suspected them of catching more then they were allowed. I'm not sure if we ever met yet, but I'm a honest guy just trying to take my family and friends out to crab, or just crabbing with somebody from here, or even by myself to enjoy it. My family would never have the opportunity to crab if it wasn't for me. My son ' Mikey ' and Daugther ' Lissy ' love going out with me and enjoying the day. I do confess that yes I try to catch as many crabs as I can on any given day, but I have never bothered or even infringed on a comm's space on the river. I'll take my place somewhere else because I think there's crabs for everyone. Honestly I don't believe it's rec's between comm's, but human's against the enviroment. There's more going on then what we truely imagine, or can understand. If you take all rec's and get rid of them, I believe it will not change much until the higher up's finaly realize how bad the bay is. I also would not have a problem reporting my catches during the year. If anything I think that would help in solving the problem..
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 07:59:48 PM by mike2u » Logged
rivercrab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2007, 08:15:15 PM »

We met before brother..Down at the WYE 2005 gathering..I watched you fall out of Johns pickup.. laugh laugh But I understand how you feel.

mike2u

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2007, 08:21:30 PM »

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh,,, hey that was a big step for me..
Islander
Lifetime Member

"Life is simple, its just not easy."

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2007, 08:26:09 PM »

We met before brother..Down at the WYE 2005 gathering..I watched you fall out of Johns pickup.. laugh laugh But I understand how you feel.

I remember that, it was priceless!! Grin  There's never a video camera around when you need one!  Wink laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

mike2u

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2007, 08:30:56 PM »

well then why didn't you catch me...   Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh
Islander
Lifetime Member

"Life is simple, its just not easy."

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2007, 08:35:11 PM »

well then why didn't you catch me... Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

I was to busy laughing!  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

RussellBurgess

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2007, 09:56:37 PM »

RiverCrab, I am a rec, I just started two years ago.  I dont know what to say about all the issues regarding crabbing, but I will say.  I enjoy crabbing and being able to buy crabs from local places that people like you supply.  I will never intentionally interfere with your livelihood or will ever get in your way.  All I ask is a place to be able to set my rec pots and not ever interfere with you.  As a single crabber hoping to bring someone else out with me to enjoy what I love doing (as I have done on two occasions).  I would like the opportunity to catch two bushels if I can.  Normally I bring home about 12-24 crabs (which is perfect for me and mine).  Time on the water is awesome, and to bring crabs home (even if the total cost to me is about $6 per crab, when you figure in gas, launch fees and such) I have a wonderful time.  I have no problem reporting my catch to dnr at any time, but please dont cut my limit down from what it is.  Though I never catch much, I would like the opportunity to do so, so that I could have friends over for a get together and a crab feast.  Wishing you the best and the crabs a healthy season.
Russ 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home