December 05, 2021, 12:33:01 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Staying in Frisco over Memorial Day  (Read 17609 times)
timcollins42

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« on: January 26, 2007, 10:47:32 AM »

I can use as much help as I can get...I have never done any crabbing before but it sounds like so much fun I would really love to try it.  My family and I will be staying in Frisco for a week over Memorial Day weekend. 
I guess I have several questions...First of all, is that a good time to even try crabbing for the first time.  A friend of mine tried to explain hand lining and I think I get the point but I'm not too sure on where to go.
Second, where is a good place to BUY some crabs to actually make a meal of them since I'm quite sure I won't catch enough for the family to eat.
Finally,  is there someplace down there that I can get a crab pot, seasoning, etc?

Any help will be HUGELY appreciated.
Potty Mouth
Lifetime Member

Location: Still, somewhere 'tween the steampot and the cooler

Whatever... SSDD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 01:59:42 PM »

I know you can buy crabs up in Buxton.  You using a boat down there?  I'd check regs and get traps through this site before you get anywhere near tourist areas.  Not sure if you got piers down in Frisco to handline from.  Memorial Day may be alittle cool still but someone from down there would know more than I.

"Not all that can be counted, counts. And not all that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 03:54:56 PM »

NC now requires a salt water fishing lic. Not sure of out of state cost. I would have to check my phone book for other places to buy crabs. I dont think there is to many public use piers on the sound side. Ocean side would be a long drop for a chicken neck. Crabbing is good around that time of year which really started yesterday. Mostly females. Check with ncdmf web site about rules and regs. You could ask on this site genecrabman he's a local down that way too.

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
tattoo
In Memoriam 09/2021
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 08:43:43 PM »

Hope you have a good trip ' ,someone ther will head you in the right direction , i'm sure GOOD LUCK.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 09:01:54 PM »

Hey if you going to stay a while in Frisco and don't mind a 2hr drive. You could drive over to Lake Mattamuskeet and handline over there along the flow gates or pumping stations. I'm pretty sure you'll need a NC fishing lic of some sort. Your best bet for a cook pot is to buy one before you come down(over) buying one at the beach is a little pricey. (as with everything else) If you want to make a day trip you can hop on the Hatteras to Ocracoke ferry(free ride) and spend the day on Ocracoke old fishing village nice little shops and usaully uncrowded beach if you have a 4x4 you drive out on the beach and pick your spot. Make sure you visit Howard's Pub for lunch or the Jolly Roger. Howard's is open 365 days. There is a seafood mkt on Ocracoke, it's old/ but rebuilt I don't know prices so don't ask  and crabs very on live bu mkt dictated by our Yankee brethern. Have fun when ya come Grin

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!

CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 12:10:22 PM »

Gotta agree with you there Brian, Howard's pub had great food, and the ferry ride over was awesome!  The fried fish was spectacular! Grin

ST,
I hear that.  Of course only about 3 places to eat in Ocracoke.   laugh
Very cool pub and I like the hugh choice of brews from around the world.  Great
variety of burgers and their french fries rule.

...................Cdog

MD / PA Line
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 12:12:02 PM »

Gotta agree with you there Brian, Howard's pub had great food, and the ferry ride over was awesome!  The fried fish was spectacular! Grin

ST,

...................Cdog

MD / PA Line
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »

ST,

...................Cdog

Hey dog.....

your stuttering..... laugh Grin Grin Wink

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 12:22:43 PM »

Hey dog.....

your stuttering..... laugh Grin Grin Wink
laugh laugh laugh laugh to big a hurry to get lunch

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
jdroat

8.5" Mumbo thanks to KC and JH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 04:51:45 PM »

We stayed on the canal at Pamlico DRive behind the old Scotch Bonnet store. Threw two pots out, checked every couple hours. After a week we only had 12 keepers (5-7") but hundreds of smallies. Those dang pinfish kept picking the necks to shreds rifle argue. It was fun for my boy and I to pull pots and made a nice appetizer. We thought about driving to LAke Matt. but I may be wrong but I think it is about 4 hour drive rateher than 2. It takes about 2 hours to get from Wanchese to Frisco and it looked to me as if you have to go there to cross to the mainland and then about another 2 hours south to the Lake, which is relatively directly west of Frisco Huh Tongue. If I am wrong please let me know so I can kick my own butt for not going.

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »

jdroat,remember you're a Yankee when ya driving ariound down here. I'm familiar with the area :laugh:Actually it is probably closer to 2 1/2 hr drive to the lake now. They have a new bridge that cuts out Manteo now. From where I live, I can drive around and take the Hatteras to Ocracoke ferry and be there in just under 4 hrs. During the summer if just go to the island I take the Swan Quarter Ferry(toll) with driving and ferry time it's 3 hrs and 10mins. So you see why I drive over there plus Swan Quarter has only 3 ferries that run in the summer.

crabtacular

Crabs are great, When they're on my plate

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 09:19:14 PM »

There are more experienced and knowledgable people on here to answer, but Ive been down there a few times, and if you just want to handline from shore, I've had my best luck north of where you are; handlining and purchasing crabs to steam myself.

1) The handlining (and again, it was just for fun) was near Nags Head just over the Manteo Bridge (someone please correct me if I have the name of that bridge wrong).

2) When we were done "playing" and that is what we pretty much did (caught maybe a 1/2 dozen keepers, and a million ones under 5"...or so it seemed  Wink )    we went down the road a bit more to an area called Wanchese, O'Neals Seafood Harvest sells crabs by the bushel.....and pretty much was the most competitive in that area.

Summertop hit it on the head from my experience down near the Hatteras area, the sound is REALLY shallow....we took the two year old into the ocean there because it was so shallow, and like bath water.

Hope that helps....

CT

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 09:32:47 PM »

Yep, bunches of people "you" can buy from down there, it's more fun to catch em' yo self. If ya need a list of nice people to buy from let me know. I think the bridge you are talking about is the causeway bridge(the one lowest to the water??? ) it's right after Daniels Crab house but before Whalebone Tackle/Bait.

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 12:12:12 AM »

Been there plenty of times caught oodles of them puppies lots of spots and definitly croakers. I've seen guys down there necking a time or to. I don't think it was necks looked like fatback. I hate going in that area it is so over congested resturants such as RV's are always packed. Basnight's Lone Cedar lost some of it flair in taste, besides I try not to contibute to Marc Basnight too much. That's the reason I go to Ocracoke it's some what quieter at least out on south point and we usually pack food so we don't have to venture into town. No one is safe there by vehicle, bicycle or foot. What they need to do is make every park in a area and walk and bike into town. 30/25/20 years ago it was a lot quieter. 30 years ago when we would stay for 2-2.5 wks we knew peoples names(first) that worked in those resturants and the Variety store. Even  the place that served the best soft ice cream around.The Trolley Stop. They even did tours of the town on them.(place is gone now) Cry

crabtacular

Crabs are great, When they're on my plate

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 07:18:03 AM »

Yep, bunches of people "you" can buy from down there, it's more fun to catch em' yo self. If ya need a list of nice people to buy from let me know. I think the bridge you are talking about is the causeway bridge(the one lowest to the water??? ) it's right after Daniels Crab house but before Whalebone Tackle/Bait.

Yes horsefly, that was the one I meant....and thank you (and for not making me feel like a idiot).....names of things and me don't always go together  Smiley

It has gotten very congested down that way (mainly because it is so beautiful, and northerners like me make it a tourist mecca). I haven't been there for a few years, and I miss the surf fishing from Hatteras. Had some great inshore fishing down there MANY a times too......I can still taste the fish fry from the mackrel we caught.  Wink

Missing it this time of year..

CT

Woodman

I Love Crabs and Fishing - 51 Pounder

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007, 09:58:10 PM »

Since I live in OBX, I'll give you a couple crabing spots.  Once you cross the Pirates Cove Bridge to Roanoke Island.  There is a public launch on your left with at canal running next to the bridge.  Another place is at the Manns Harbor Bridge.  If you make a right into town (manteo) go all the way to the north end of the island and cross over the bridge.  There is an old marina.  The final place is at the waterfront in Manteo.  They have a public dock.  I take my kids there all the time.  We usual catch a couple dozen off chicken necks on crab lines.

Hope this helps
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2007, 12:28:54 AM »

Since I live in OBX, I'll give you a couple crabing spots.  Once you cross the Pirates Cove Bridge to Roanoke Island.  There is a public launch on your left with at canal running next to the bridge.  Another place is at the Manns Harbor Bridge.  If you make a right into town (manteo) go all the way to the north end of the island and cross over the bridge.  There is an old marina.  The final place is at the waterfront in Manteo.  They have a public dock.  I take my kids there all the time.  We usual catch a couple dozen off chicken necks on crab lines.

Hope this helps
Where you state the canal next to the bridge you mean where the comm guys tie their boats right? And the old Marina (used to be a crab dock?) big place kinda  run down looking?? Before the Benny's Seafood road ?? I have'nt been back where the State does ferry boat work in years, anything down there to crab from?

Woodman

I Love Crabs and Fishing - 51 Pounder

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2007, 07:46:40 PM »

Yes, But the commercial guys are no longer there.  They re-did the bulkhead and it was bought by the county.  There is also a public pier at that location that is about 100+ feet long.  No, it was an old marina and hotel, but it was pretty run down.  They have torn down the buildings but all of the docks, launch  and piers are still there.  Benny's is on the alligator river, Manns Harbor is on the croatan Sound.  They build an new bridge called the Virgina Dare Memorial bridge parallel to the Manns Harbor bridge.  I wouldn't go back at the ferry repair facility - haven't hear much about that spot. 

I'm not sure if the person that started this topic, but if he has a boat, he can launch at the Pirates cove bridge and crab on both sides of the bridge along the channel - leaving the launch the left side has been better for me.

timcollins42

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2007, 09:17:28 PM »

Hope this helps

Thanks a million!  This helps a lot.  As i said, I have no idea so any information you can give me is helpful.  To answer your later question, no I don't have a boat...I'll just be doing what I can from shore/pier, etc.  I'm planning on having to buy the majority of the crabs for dinner but will enjoy the experience none the less.
tattoo
In Memoriam 09/2021
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2007, 11:29:32 PM »

I am sure you will have a GREAT time.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: