December 10, 2019, 02:45:49 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crabslayer's Annual Crab Prediction  (Read 17830 times)
Crabslayer

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter soon to be Java Sea

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2007, 12:42:03 PM »

One more thing.  I don't believe it will crash because of the short life span of the crab is 3-4 years.  It is not like long living fish who take longer to mature and replenish the species.

Procrabber, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

This is how it's going to go.  After I kick your A$$ i'm going to run you through the wood chipper and put you in containers in the freezer to use in my crab pots!  The really sad part?  You let an old man kick your A$$!!!
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2007, 02:15:06 PM »

In CT the Striper (Rockfish) population has exploded also. Had a friend catch one last year with three short Lobsters in its belly! It's not just crabs they're eating!

Retired in paradise!
Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2007, 07:23:34 AM »

Brian, three things...(1) IMHO there are more recs because the crabs are way over priced, small & light...making it worthwhile for folks to catch their own rather than get robbed at the carryout. (2) take a look at the number of commercial fishermen wannabe's in the MWA paper...there are plenty in line to get a chance at commercial crabbing...business must be good. (3) with over 4000 comm licenses allowed 300 pots each...that's 1.2 million crabpots out there, almost 700 per square mile in MD alone, working 24/7...not taking into account for the licenses with the additional 300 and 600 pot allocations...are you still sure you want to blame the recs?
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2007, 08:45:42 AM »

What were the pot limits and license limitations back in the late 70's and early 80's before the explosion of rec's happened?

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2007, 09:25:07 AM »

CRABSLAYER,. thanks for your insight, hope things go well for you. GOOD luck , when you go striper fishing, GOD BLESS YOU.  Smiley Smiley

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab

Crabslayer

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter soon to be Java Sea

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2007, 10:53:15 AM »

Greg, I wouldn't be so sure that all 4000 licenses are being used and I am sure that there are not 1.2 million in the MD portion.  That would mean that they would be exceding the annual catch reports in a matter of a couple weeks.

Also those who are licensed for pots, all are not using pots, there are many who may have a CB3 but trotline instead.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 10:55:19 AM by Crabslayer » Logged

This is how it's going to go.  After I kick your A$$ i'm going to run you through the wood chipper and put you in containers in the freezer to use in my crab pots!  The really sad part?  You let an old man kick your A$$!!!
Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »

RD, the explosion that occured in the late 70's early 80's occured because the oyster harvest crashed and crabs became the #1 cash resource in the bay. At that time, there were no restrictions on number of commercial licenses issued at 100 pots per license and an individual could purchase as many licenses as they wanted.

In 1983, a new TFL license was issued with unlimited pots allowed.

In 1988, a 2 year wait period is imposed on issuing new TFL's to stop the overharvesting during good years.

In 1994, TFL's were now limited to 300 pots, but two allocations of 300 additional pots could be purchased for a total of 900 pots per boat.

In 1996, a moratorium imposed on issuing new TFL's.

Record high landings in 1993 went straight down record low landings in 2001. There hasn't been much change since then, only a slight upward trend in the last several years. The data for landings ends at 2004. Seems our DNR does not want us to know what has happened until years later when the persons responsible for the regulations are out of office. Angry

Brian, you were right, I checked the CB3 & TFL licenses and additional pot allocations (CB6 & CB9) issued. Licenses are issued for 988,800 pots. The main bay basin has an area of 1726 square miles. That's only 572 pots per square mile Wink...or about one pot per acre. In the open bay where pots are allowed, they can be hazardous to navigate through in a chop. At $2 per crab, I bet the pot numbers are real close. I did not include the 3667 LCC's allowed 50 pots each or that would put us right back up to 1.2 million again. So Let's just round it off to 1 million pots out there.
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2007, 12:27:12 PM »

And how many of those licenses are not even being used?  A bunch.  Thats why people are selling them.... oh, this piece of paper I have is worth how much? Roll Eyes

I don't believe more people are crabbing now because of the prices of crabs.  I believe its due to population density numbers, and because people crab because they enjoy it.  But its not because the price of crabs is so high...  if you buy a dozen crabs for $30, you've spent $30 for crabs, and a few bucks for gas.

To catch your own, how much does that dozen really cost you:   boat ($100 to $10,000), license fee, ramp fee, truck to pull the boat, ice, bait, fuel, insurance, gear, traps, trotlines, .... you get the idea.  That dozen crabs is now costing you what, about $250?

Git 'r dun!
Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2007, 12:40:19 PM »

Weed, don't kid yourself. A very tiny fraction of the total licenses go up for sale...somebody either retired or died...and for a small fortune I might add.

A dozen large crabs will cost you $60 at the carryout. That's $5 per crab. Angry My boat costs me $10 in gas and maybe $15 in bait to catch two bushels... 25 cents apiece.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 12:42:11 PM by Black Irish » Logged
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2007, 12:46:43 PM »

Weed, don't kid yourself. A very tiny fraction of the total licenses go up for sale....and for a small fortune I might add.

A dozen large crabs will cost you $60 at the carryout. That's $5 per crab. Angry My boat costs me $10 in gas and maybe $15 in bait to catch two bushels... 25 cents apiece.

I'm talking about the average weekend warrior who says, hey, I'd like some crabs, and I think its cheaper to go catch, but first I have to spend about $6000 to get a boat and all the gear I need...and buy a F350 that gets 10 mpg to pull it...  you're not saving a dime!

I still say more and more guys are selling out every year.... just look at all the businesses and boats for sale.... the "old timers" are getting out of it, you see it everyday.  Those guys were catching big numbers of crabs back in the heyday.... now who is buying their businesses.... younger guys like the LCCs on this board... who, I am fairly sure, are not crabbing full-time, and catching far less crabs than the last generation.

JMO Greg, of course Grin Smiley

Git 'r dun!

Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2007, 12:56:22 PM »

There's a 40 year old Hatteras with a TFL on MWA...asking $28,000.00 Must be one heck of a nice boat Roll Eyes. There's 3 people looking for licenses.
Islander
Lifetime Member

"Life is simple, its just not easy."

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2007, 01:11:21 PM »

Weed, don't kid yourself. A very tiny fraction of the total licenses go up for sale...somebody either retired or died...and for a small fortune I might add.

Greg,

Who are you kidding, there are more com. licenses available then people willing to take them.  I'm sure you've read the Tidal Fisheries Advisory Commission's meeting summary for the April 13, 2006.  Roll Eyes

"Licenses available to be pulled from the apprenticeship program:

There are licenses currently available.  Limited crab catcher and oyster harvester licenses have spots open with no one on the wait list."

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/tidalfish/tidalfishmotions041306.html

Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2007, 01:18:48 PM »

Greg,

Who are you kidding, there are more com. licenses available then people willing to take them.  I'm sure you've read the Tidal Fisheries Advisory Commission's meeting summary for the April 13, 2006.  Roll Eyes

"Licenses available to be pulled from the apprenticeship program:

There are licenses currently available.  Limited crab catcher and oyster harvester licenses have spots open with no one on the wait list."

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/tidalfish/tidalfishmotions041306.html

Tom, who are you kidding? I did not include the LCC's.
Islander
Lifetime Member

"Life is simple, its just not easy."

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2007, 01:22:30 PM »

There's a 40 year old Hatteras with a TFL on MWA...asking $28,000.00 Must be one heck of a nice boat Roll Eyes. There's 3 people looking for licenses.

So this guy has worked on the water all his life and now is trying to sell his business to retire. Even if he gets the 28k for his business, which I doubt, that won't be much of a retirement.  Roll Eyes

SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2007, 01:23:33 PM »

And how many of those licenses are not even being used?  A bunch.  Thats why people are selling them.... oh, this piece of paper I have is worth how much? Roll Eyes

I don't believe more people are crabbing now because of the prices of crabs.  I believe its due to population density numbers, and because people crab because they enjoy it.   But its not because the price of crabs is so high...  if you buy a dozen crabs for $30, you've spent $30 for crabs, and a few bucks for gas.

To catch your own, how much does that dozen really cost you:   boat ($100 to $10,000), license fee, ramp fee, truck to pull the boat, ice, bait, fuel, insurance, gear, traps, trotlines, .... you get the idea.  That dozen crabs is now costing you what, about $250?

Jeff, I think you have it right there! I could easily and cheaply buy crabs. I don't choose to do that. Instead I travel to MD to get 2/3 bushel twice a year. It is far more expensive to catch them myself but I get tired waiting for them to show up in CT. I have all the equipment I need. The expense is gas, round trip, and a hotel room because I don't choose to make a rocket trip like JC. My choice. I rec crab because I enjoy it and like to see new water. At 2/3 bushel 2X per year I'd say I'm at the low end for a rec crabber but it's the entertainment value and memories that are priceless to me!

Retired in paradise!

Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2007, 01:24:36 PM »

Who are you all kidding? If word gets out that a rec can catch his own crabs for 25 cents a piece and spend a great day on the water as a bonus...the bay will be overrun with people from NY, NJ, PA....oh [shiz], I guess the word is already out. Grin
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2007, 02:38:12 PM »

Last year I walked from Eastern Bay to the Severn River because there were so many Rec's on the river, I actually had to wait at some points because the line was so long. Roll Eyes Shocked

Just some facts from my personal observation because you need a bulldozer to shovel some of the [curd] on here. Tongue

Some facts to remind everyone.

Season is April till December. Rec's really don't start coming out in numbers until mid July, after Labor day they thin out in hurry for whatever strange reason (probably school, work, football- they are not die hard crabbers) because it is the most productive time.

Who is catching most of the crabs in April, May, June, Oct, Nov., take a guess. Who has the most areas covered with the most gear, and the regulations favoring them in July- Aug- Sept. take a guess.

The high majority of the Rec's are in the rivers, they are using 30 traps not 300+ pots left over night. 600 - 1200' of trot not 1200' - 12000'.

No one here is mentioning the early slaughter of females in Va. last year, $8 a bushel for females, pots not being pulled because of the market, crabs left dieing in their traps, Hello short memories. Tongue

For the most part last year was worse than the previous year on the Wye. Crabs did not come down river in numbers until mid August, and they were junk crabs with a ton of females. There were a good number of Big Boys early but it was like there was no July shed. Huh People were not bringing in bushels everywhere between July and mid August, for the most part Rec crabbers were doing very poorly, 6 to a couple dz, unless they jumped on the females. The local Comms were bringing in 1 to 3 bushels with mostly #2's. They were getting killed, but you are blaming the REC's GTFOH. Only the few sharpies after alot of work were coming in with nice #1 Jimmies and getting their bushel or 2.

The main areas for catching crabs early were Comm city. A Rec couldn't even get in there so who is kidding whom. So were the areas up river near the mouth. And they get their spots dark and early so why are they still complaining about Rec's when they already have their spots and the laws behind them.  Angry

I am sure each Rec has their reason, but I believe most agree with the Shell. They crabbed all their lives, love doing it, love eating them, and being on the water. And that is why they will never take this away from us and we will always fight for our rights just as you have the right to make a living. You talk about all these Rec licenses well same [curd] as the Comm's story most are not weekend warriors, some are rarely used, and most arent't packing in bushels let alone doing it every day of the week. Maybe besides key factors like habitat and pollution the Comms are actually hurting each other by increasing all the gear they use. Look at the harvest numbers, no real slack their? But I am sure they never gave that a thought. Anyway I wish you all a successful and profitable season, and I will be down at the Wye as usual, stop by, say hello, give me the bird whatever gets your rocks off laugh laugh laugh, but I will still be one happy crabber enjoying my passion. Cheesy 2thumbsup guitarist drummer guitarist pimp pimp pimp

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
Seanile
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

WHEN THE CHICKEN NECK DROPS, THE BS STOPS

« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2007, 04:43:20 PM »

Quote Shellfish:
"I rec crab because I enjoy it and like to see new water. . . .  but it's the entertainment value and memories that are priceless to me!"

Quote Joe Crabs:
"I am sure each Rec has their reason, but I believe most agree with the Shell. They crabbed all their lives, love doing it, love eating them, and being on the water."

Well stated guys, that's what makes it all worthwhile.

~ Bruce ~

If a man speaks at sea, where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2007, 04:51:31 PM »

NICE J.C. Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2007, 06:08:03 PM »

Quote Shellfish:
"I rec crab because I enjoy it and like to see new water. . . .  but it's the entertainment value and memories that are priceless to me!"

Quote Joe Crabs:
"I am sure each Rec has their reason, but I believe most agree with the Shell. They crabbed all their lives, love doing it, love eating them, and being on the water."

Well stated guys, that's what makes it all worthwhile.
Forgot one more important thing, passing it on to the next generation to enjoy it like we have. No littles ones now but the grandchildren will be big and ready to go in no time. Cheesy Wink

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home