November 11, 2019, 10:22:06 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crabslayer's Annual Crab Prediction  (Read 17754 times)
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2007, 01:28:50 PM »

If I catch half my crabs before you get there, you will eating chicken necks for supper....  the hole will be empty.  I'm unlimited this year... Wink 

Well aren't you special CrabbyD... What unlimited..! you got the big boy license did ya?  OK I am getting to the ramp 5 hours before you following you everywhere and you can tie my boat to yours and fill it up with bushels of mumbos and you can say that I am your crab storage barge....   Wink

.......cdog

MD / PA Line
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 beautiful girls.........and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2007, 01:30:24 PM »

You can laugh or point , but not both brother.  I was seeing who was paying attention.  I actually hope the larger number of smaller crabs we encountered this year will have grown enough to be decent size this year and in theory we should have bigger and better crabs.  Yet the same thing happens every year with the rockfish.  You go and catch a pile of little guys 15-17 inches and say well next year these guys will be 18-20 or bigger so we will have a pile of keeper size rockfish to catch next year and yet the follwoing year the next bunch of rockfish you see are 15 - 17 inches again.  Like they become legal size and then disappear..!  Honestly I did hear the rockfish spawn count is down this year form last.  I am not making anymore comments....   blank

.....Cdog

Come on Dog...you can't quit that easily...... Wink

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2007, 01:33:11 PM »

The whole second half of the season on the Severn was nothing but small crabs...  I hope you are right, it would be nice to ride close to the house again.  However, I think I will be shore bound again this year. Wink

ST,

hey you still got a shorter ride than me to hit the wye or eastern shore spots.  You are right though.  the severn was easier and made for a nice day and half the drive which save some $ and a couple of hours of time. 
I did like it thee.  Do you ever crab oof the deeper drop offs there.  it seems to be 3-5 ft then ledges out to 7-9 then poof 17 -20 ft.  I was wondering if the crabs go deep there like at the wye.  Going 30 ft this year on the traps.  just curious.  I will not devulge the secret spot marked with an X..   laugh

......Cdog

MD / PA Line
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2007, 01:35:05 PM »

The whole second half of the season on the Severn was nothing but small crabs...  I hope you are right, it would be nice to ride close to the house again.  However, I think I will be shore bound again this year. Wink

Have boat can travel...... Wink.  It seems like every year you have to move a few times to keep up with the big ones.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2007, 01:36:15 PM »

Well aren't you special CrabbyD... What unlimited..! you got the big boy license did ya?  OK I am getting to the ramp 5 hours before you following you everywhere and you can tie my boat to yours and fill it up with bushels of mumbos and you can say that I am your crab storage barge....   Wink

.......cdog

Dog

I'll try and remember that.  If I fill the matress up, I'll give you a call. Cool

Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2007, 01:37:57 PM »

You can laugh or point , but not both brother.  I was seeing who was paying attention.  I actually hope the larger number of smaller crabs we encountered this year will have grown enough to be decent size this year and in theory we should have bigger and better crabs.  Yet the same thing happens every year with the rockfish.  You go and catch a pile of little guys 15-17 inches and say well next year these guys will be 18-20 or bigger so we will have a pile of keeper size rockfish to catch next year and yet the follwoing year the next bunch of rockfish you see are 15 - 17 inches again.  Like they become legal size and then disappear..!  Honestly I did hear the rockfish spawn count is down this year form last.  I am not making anymore comments....   blank

.....Cdog

I hear that.... a bunch of little crabs or little fish doesn't really mean anything about next year (scientists will say otherwise, I'm sure) All it means is that you have a bunch of little crabs or fish!  I can remember years that were pretty average crabbing, and not many little ones around.  And then the next year was great, with plenty of big crabs! Roll Eyes Huh  Go figure.  Maybe little crabs one year means big crabs in 3 years, I do not know.

As long as I catch more crabs than Crabdog, I will be happy. Grin

Git 'r dun!
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2007, 01:43:29 PM »

Small, small small,

Sorry to hear that Summerdress Sad

Kiss

Git 'r dun!
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2007, 01:44:03 PM »

They were there real heavy for about a month and then they went on vacation to the sunny eastern shore....  Angry  Wink Grin

CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2007, 01:45:11 PM »

Dog

I'll try and remember that.  If I fill the matress up, I'll give you a call. Cool

I could rename the CSS Crabdog to the "Boxspring"to go with the "matress"

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

MD / PA Line
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2007, 01:47:17 PM »

Touche' you d head! Grin  However, I have been married for 12 years so I don't use it anymore anyway! Grin laugh laugh laugh laugh

Thanks for sharing that! laugh laugh laugh laugh

Git 'r dun!

Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2007, 01:48:13 PM »

Thanks for sharing that! laugh laugh laugh laugh

You two going crabbing together soon? laugh
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2007, 01:48:52 PM »

Touche' you d head! Grin  However, I have been married for 12 years so I don't use it anymore anyway! Grin laugh laugh laugh laugh

Man Down.. on floor in cube crying... That was funny as [shiz]  Man must be close to the end of another winter / start of a new season.. everyone is in a mood! 

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

..........................cdog

MD / PA Line
Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2007, 01:52:33 PM »

hahahahaha....I'm outta this one...it's getting to kinky for me. laugh
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2007, 01:55:40 PM »

[Sam Hill] YA Greg, he has a new puller! laugh laugh laugh Grin Grin Grin

whatever floats yer boat.. not sure I want to know what kind of a "new puller" weed's got!

...Cdog

MD / PA Line
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2007, 01:56:41 PM »

whatever floats yer boat.. not sure I want to know what kind of a "new puller" weed's got!

...Cdog

Its hydraulic wink3

Alright, this has gone bad to worse. Sad Grin  I'm out! Kiss

Git 'r dun!

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2007, 01:57:58 PM »

[Sam Hill] YA Greg, he has a new puller! laugh laugh laugh Grin Grin Grin

the puller only works for about 6 months then he's on his own again.... laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2007, 02:49:28 PM »

Its hydraulic wink3

Alright, this has gone bad to worse. Sad Grin  I'm out! Kiss

Wow Weed,  I am impressed, but be careful with the hydraulics brother, could permanently damage something...  Reminds me of the Austin Powers movie when he comes out of the cryogenic freeze and they hand back all of his personal affects... including the swedish hydraulic pump.. Yeah Baby.. but that's not my bag!!!!! No really it's not mine!!!!  OK and I am now out... Thanks for another successful hijack..
I think this was a forecast of crabbing for the year   Huh Huh Huh

............CDog

MD / PA Line
Crabslayer

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter soon to be Java Sea

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2007, 06:41:56 AM »

Slayer,

I like your thinking, but based on the winter dredge reports, things are about the same if not a bit lower than last years reports.  I think weather and rain will make the difference more than anything.  I do agree a lot of small crabs ;ast year and they should be mature this year which should help, but still looks like overal numbers are slightly down to steady at best. 

.......Cdog

Crabdog,

I never pay attention to the Winter dredge reports.  I've been doing this too long to put any faith in them.  Years they said numbers were up you could hardly catch anything and it was sporadic, years they said it was low I had great harvests.  I don't but much into science but more in observation.  It comes with many years of experience and also what my bones tell me!

This is how it's going to go.  After I kick your A$$ i'm going to run you through the wood chipper and put you in containers in the freezer to use in my crab pots!  The really sad part?  You let an old man kick your A$$!!!
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2007, 10:35:55 AM »

What does your Bones tell you about this up comming year HuhHuh??

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Crabslayer

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter soon to be Java Sea

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2007, 12:37:48 PM »

What does your Bones tell you about this up comming year HuhHuh??

Tattoo, from the sounds of them they're telling me that I won't be doing this for too much longer.  laugh laugh

Seriously though, I can only speak for the Chesapeake area.  I do believe it will be a good year.  I don't listen to all the nay sayers nor the doom and gloomers.  Are they what they used to be, no.  Is it going to crash, possibly.  And I say this with no malice intended but others will think differently, but I really do believe there has been an increased pressure from the recreational side of things in as little as 15 years.  Sure there was recreational crabbing in years past, but now I think the numbers have just exploded.  Plus people are going out more then what they used to. 

Tat, just 10-15 years ago when I would take my family there was 1 maybe 2 other people around us.  Now it is so crowded that it gets so difficult to even set your gear.  It used to be fun and relaxing but now it is more of a shoutfest.

Now as far as it crashing.  There are more factors than just the number of people taking crabs.  It is lost habitat, pollution, I even believe that the increase striper population has a very serious impact on the crabbing.  Man tries to manage the fisheries with good intentions but just can seem to get it right.  I think the striper population needs to be thinned out a bit to help.  Guess I'll pick up my rod and catch a few.

Sorry for going off topic a bit.  It's just what I noticed in my 45 years of crabbing

This is how it's going to go.  After I kick your A$$ i'm going to run you through the wood chipper and put you in containers in the freezer to use in my crab pots!  The really sad part?  You let an old man kick your A$$!!!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home