November 13, 2019, 08:03:15 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: N.J. Safety course  (Read 33187 times)
Infish

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2007, 10:12:13 PM »

You can take the course and test from the local Coast Guard Auxillary.  I took mine in Bayville and it cost $45.  Here's a link for their course schedule.  http://a0530711.uscgaux.info/pubed.htm 
tash329

Semper Paratus

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2007, 01:44:04 PM »

Hello everyone----The following is NJ's law on boating. 1) There are NO EXEMPTIONS to New Jersey age requirements. 2) Out-of-state residents in NJ for less than 90 days with a certificate issued by their state or country; Or written proof of completion of a substantially similar course to the NJ-approved course will satisfy the education requirements. Boating Safety Course info. maybe located at: www.cgaux.org, wwwusps.org, wwwBOATUS.com. Boating Safety Courses must be completed in person.---Rich
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2007, 09:51:26 PM »

Thanks.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2007, 11:20:03 AM »

I've taken the Basic Boating Safety Certification Course online thru (www.boatsafe.com) It was mandatory for my 19' Wellcraft. It's an online course an is reconized by the (NASBLA) National Association of State Boating Law Administraters and by the US. Coast Guard. The test was free online. Once you past the test you pay a $15.00 fee. Which includes your certificate 8"x11" plus a laminated saftey certificate card which you keep in your wallet/boat. As Far as is i know, good for Pa. Nj. De. Md. and most other states.

There is are other CERTIFICATIONS  that are required for boats larger than mine.

jrccrab, I would double check that with the NJSP.  I followed your link & drilled down on the Boating Safety Course section to NJ on their map and got this:

Please contact the appropriate authority to determine which courses your state approves.

NEW JERSEY
State Police
Marine Law Enforcement Bureau
P.O. Box 7068
West Trenton NJ 08628-0068
609-882-2000
Boat registration:
888-486-3339 (in State)
(609) 292-6500 (Out of State)
http://www.state.nj.us/mvs

This course is not endorsed by any Federal or State Agency.

It looks to me like this course may not be approved.  The NJ Boating Safety Certificate that you are required to carry is issued by the NJSP.  The one you got is from the course provider and may not keep you out of trouble if you are stopped.  Just trying to keep everyone on the up & up and save some money and time by avoiding non-approved courses.

23' C Hawk
jrccrab
Lifetime Member

Crabbing...Oh Yeah

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2007, 11:35:16 AM »

Hmmmmmmmm Huh I will have to check in to that, thanks for the info. I will post as soon as i know. jrccrab

CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2007, 11:54:29 AM »

Here's some info some may find useful. 

Test out option: if you are an experienced boater and don't want to take the course, don't forget there is a test out option for about $25 given through most or all of the NJ course providers.  You will need to provide documentiation of at least 100 hours past operating experience.  See the NJSP site.  http://www.state.nj.us/lps/njsp/maritime/index.html

USCG Licensed Captains:  according to the NJSP site, USCG licensed capt's can just carry their license and this will satisfy the letter of the law without the need to take the course or test out.  They also say explicitly that you cannot convert a USCG license into a Boating Safety Cert.  I have a license, but don't want to carry that big thing all the time or leave it on my boat.  The following 2 web sites have the same instructions on how to get a NJ Cert. by mailing in a copy of your USCG lic & NJ DL & a few other bits of info.  I figured for a few stamps, I'll give it a try.  I just mailed my stuff in today & will let you know if it pans out.  Here's the gist of it from the NJ Marine Trades Assoc page:

Q. If someone has a USCG license and is exempt from the requirment, can they optain a boating safety certification card?

A. If a person with a USCG Captain's license is going to operate in instances that do not require a Captains license can optain a wallet size State issued boating safety certiciate. The individual has to mail a copy of the Captain's license, a copy of their motor vehicle license, their hair and eye color, home telephone number (with area code), along with a self-addressed stamped envelope to:

NJSP BSC/Captain
Box 7068
West Trenton, NJ 08628-0068

NJ Marine Trades Assoc:   http://www.mtanj.org/     go to "Boater's click here" and "New boating safety education law information" & go about half way down the FAQ's.  This also lists the approved CG Aux classes that are approved, including the online Americas Boating Course, which is given online & in person.

http://www.njboatingsafetyclasses.com/_mgxroot/page_10662.html    go to the second to last FAQ.

Some other good links:

http://nws.cgaux.org/visitors/pe_visitor/index.html

The Boat US site has a good search engine for classes in your area:  http://www.boatus.com/courseline/

A lot of these links may have been posted already, but here they are all together if that helps.  Best of luck in getting everything in order.  I think this whole movement toward basic education is a great thing. 

We probably all have near-miss (or hold the miss) situations with boaters who didn't look like they had a clue what they were doing.  With the relatively cheap nav gear out there, I'm sure dealers are selling more boat than many people can handle by telling them to just follow the roadmap on the little black box.  I call it more money than brains logic.  There's no substitute for experience, (not-so-common) common sense, and courtesy.  I even think that if you are lacking the first, the last two will keep you out of a lot of trouble.

I'm now working part time for an on-the-water, on-your-boat training company & we stay very busy in part because people buy more boat than they can handle or that they just didn't get taught the correct way to handle a boat.  It still amazes me how many people don't know the pointy end from the square end or how wind and current will affect their boat.  They try to drive it like a car and are baffled as to why the boat didn't stop or why it's moving sideways.  I won't put a shameless plug for the company, but it is not one of the one's listed above (although one of those pages does have our link).

See you on the water!  Soon I hope - I'm selling my Checkmate which was no good for crabbing & restoring a '79 20' Proline CC.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 11:57:00 AM by CaptMoose » Logged

23' C Hawk
jrccrab
Lifetime Member

Crabbing...Oh Yeah

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2007, 02:11:25 PM »

Hey thanks for the info! Seems like the new Nj. regs. are not honoring the certification i aquired back in (2002) they did back then. Back when i took my test it was pretty much honered buy every state.  I've searched the National Association of State Boating Law Adminstrators (NASBLA). and alot of states have their own test now that they want you to take. I'm sure it has to do with revenue for that particular state. Been boating for years powerboats, racing sail boats. Yes i agree their sould be some type certification to be on the water. Seems like the way it is going you'll need a certificate for every state you want to boat in.

Again thanks for the info and have an awesome season on the water. jrccrab
PHILLY JOE
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2007, 12:56:53 PM »

I went straight to the horses mouth and called NJSP about the out of state, boater safety  certificate approved by NASBLA, but taken on-line. NJSP will not accept this this certificate. Sad Sad Sad  looks like I have to go take a class.  Luckily I have another year before my timeline runs out. Also I just found this link from NJSP and last line on bottom right says it all.

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/marine/boatedreqs_011207.pdf

jrccrab
Lifetime Member

Crabbing...Oh Yeah

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2007, 01:38:39 PM »

I went straight to the horses mouth and called NJSP about the out of state, boater safety  certificate approved by NASBLA, but taken on-line. NJSP will not accept this this certificate. Sad Sad Sad  looks like I have to go take a class.  Luckily I have another year before my timeline runs out. Also I just found this link from NJSP and last line on bottom right says it all.

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/marine/boatedreqs_011207.pdf
Hey PHILLY JOE, if you look to the bottom right side #2 of the document it reads as follows.

(Out-of-state residents who are at least 16 years of age and who will be in New Jersey for less than 90 days may operate power vessel on the waters of the state of New Jersey if they possess a acertificate issued by their state of residence or if they have in their pocession written proof of successful completion of a boating safety course approved by another state, the US Coast Guard, or the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators.) Not sure if you have taken a safety boating course or not? I will not be boating in NJ. more than 90 days this year so i guess i wiil be legal, the way i read it.
jrccrab
Lifetime Member

Crabbing...Oh Yeah

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2007, 01:44:15 PM »

Forgot to include the course i took online is approved by the Coast Guard/NASBLA which you can take online, see my previous posts on this blog as to the website. jrccrab

PHILLY JOE
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2007, 12:40:11 AM »

Forgot to include the course i took online is approved by the Coast Guard/NASBLA which you can take online, see my previous posts on this blog as to the website. jrccrab

Yes, I took an online course. I explained to the officer that the course i took online is PA and NASBLA approved. He then asked to verify that the test I took was online. I said yes. He said it is not acceptable. I guess I better take an on person course to be safe.

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2007, 12:31:10 PM »

That would probably be the best thing to do. GOOD luck.  Wink

CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2007, 02:59:52 PM »

USCG Licensed Captains:  according to the NJSP site, USCG licensed capt's can just carry their license and this will satisfy the letter of the law without the need to take the course or test out.  They also say explicitly that you cannot convert a USCG license into a Boating Safety Cert.  I have a license, but don't want to carry that big thing all the time or leave it on my boat.  The following 2 web sites have the same instructions on how to get a NJ Cert. by mailing in a copy of your USCG lic & NJ DL & a few other bits of info.  I figured for a few stamps, I'll give it a try.  I just mailed my stuff in today & will let you know if it pans out.  Here's the gist of it from the NJ Marine Trades Assoc page:

Q. If someone has a USCG license and is exempt from the requirment, can they optain a boating safety certification card?

A. If a person with a USCG Captain's license is going to operate in instances that do not require a Captains license can optain a wallet size State issued boating safety certiciate. The individual has to mail a copy of the Captain's license, a copy of their motor vehicle license, their hair and eye color, home telephone number (with area code), along with a self-addressed stamped envelope to:

NJSP BSC/Captain
Box 7068
West Trenton, NJ 08628-0068

UPDATE:  NO GO, save your $.41 stamps.  I received my SASE back with a page from the NJSP website with the following highlighted (no other answer either, good customer service): YOU CANNOT CONVERT A USCG CAPTAIN'S LICENSE TO A NJ STATE BOATER SAFETY CERTIFICATE.   Goes to show how accurate some online resources can be.  I guess my 4 years of schooling to become a professional mariner and 18 yrs in the marine industry running boats won't get me a pocket-sized card.  Gotta carry my framed license with me.  Maybe I'll reduce it on a copier so it's so small you can barely read it!  At least it will fit in my wallet.

See you on the water & be safe.

23' C Hawk
lloverso

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2007, 12:59:10 PM »

Instead of taking the PA online course I ordered the video and manual to take the course at home. I took the test and passed and just received my permanent boating safety eduacation certificate issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission. No where on the card does it say it was an online or at home test it just says the course type is an exam. This is PA State issued and recognized by the NASBLA for PA residence. It clearly states Out-of-state residents who are at least 16 years of age and who will be in New Jersey for less than 90 days may operate power vessel on the waters of the state of New Jersey if they possess a acertificate issued by their state of residence or if they have in their pocession written proof of successful completion of a boating safety course approved by another state, the US Coast Guard, or the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators. I will be printing this document out and bringing it along with me on my trips to NJ for proof incase I get hassled.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2007, 03:22:46 PM »

Thats good news, WELCOME aboard, have a GREAT Wink season .

gkrangers

pielet

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2007, 05:21:39 AM »

Yes, if you are operating a personal watercraft (Jet Ski, Wave Runner, etc.) on the waters of the State of New Jersey you are required to possess a New Jersey boat safety certificate, additionally, if you are operating any other power vessel and you were born in 1969 or later, you are also required to possess a boat safety certificate. As of June 1, 2007, all power vessel operators born in 1959 and later will be required to possess a boat safety certificate. On June 1, 2008, all power vessel operators born in 1949 and later will be required to possess a certificate. As of June 1, 2009, all power vessel operators, regardless of date of birth, will be required to possess a boat safety certificate.

Just some good info for you "old" folks who may not be required to have one. Wink
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2007, 08:45:13 AM »

I was born in 1948 so I guess I still have time before I have to get it.  Wink

DocSmith

Proud of what I stand for; Careful what I fall for

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2007, 04:31:19 PM »

I think you get a cut on your insurance rate if you take the course.

Doc

The Cruelest Creature's the Crab, with Pinchers that can Cut you and Stab! And Then, when you Dine on Crab and White Wine, it's Murder when you Pick Up The Tab!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home