October 17, 2019, 09:48:17 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: setting up my peeler trailor  (Read 3811 times)
orgsmic

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2007, 10:37:13 AM »

hows it. I need help setting up my trailor. I am right on newport river and wanted to run a (open) ? or pumps on 24/7. So if i run the pumps 24/7 do i need biofilter ? and what pump. Sand trap do i need. And curious to see best plumbing setup method. This was a clam spawning trailor. I am in the process of pulling out clam tanks, i am going to build lots shallow trays, i wanted to run bout 9,000 first run.
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 02:33:01 PM »

Did ya buy Mill Creeks place or something??? I'm not sure by the meaning of trailor?? Is the clam operation mobile??? I wouldn't think you would need the bio-filter unless you have a water sample to go by. Yes I would run a sand trap filter(pool type) make sure you backwash system at least 2 times a day and change sand out half way thru shedding season. Now all these could change if you wanted to run a closed system. If you don't use a sand filter, you can say in a closed system use oyster shells. They go in the run off tank and water is filtered and recycled thru them, the bad particles are trapped on the oyster shells. Thus means you have to take them out and use new ones or rinse of the old. NEVER EVER USE CHEMICALS ESPECIALLY BLEACH. Also do not use treated lumber in the tanks. There is more info if ya looked here on the soft crab info posts. Most people who don't have a good clean regular supply of river water use the closed system. We used it in the past when the water temps weren't adequate for shedding. GOOD LUCK Cheesy

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 06:49:29 PM »

.....I live on the water...and have a regular supply if I wanted to run an open system, but I love the closed system as it eliminates alot of varibles that could cost you alot of crabs if something goes wrong, like heavy rains...or algae blooms, high temps and low o2. I really enjoy the labor and flexibility a closed system offers, but you have to stay on top of it..........which again, is something I really enjoy.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 10:01:08 PM »

good luck with your project.  Wink Wink Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 11:38:24 PM »

.....I live on the water...and have a regular supply if I wanted to run an open system, but I love the closed system as it eliminates alot of varibles that could cost you alot of crabs if something goes wrong, like heavy rains...or algae blooms, high temps and low o2. I really enjoy the labor and flexibility a closed system offers, but you have to stay on top of it..........which again, is something I really enjoy.
I like the closed the best too,even with the little glitches that happen

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne

orgsmic

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 08:52:28 PM »

no i live in beaufort. I live near mouth of river. it was old mobile home parked on water. We had outfitted it for clam spawning. But i want to do some peelers. Im  a little worried bout salinity. If i purchase peelers from wauncheese will my salinity be to high here ? And is there any way to bulkhead water, dilute it , skim it, heat it , oxygenate it. or would i be better to build closed system. Also it takes a couple weeks to get these filter werking good. Can i build or buy a filter thats ready to handle 5,000 crabs right away. K srry for questions
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 10:13:39 PM »

SOOOOO many questions but the salinty one is easy, your water is almost the same as Wanchese. Believe or not there is/was guys down here who buy peelers from SC/Ga when there is a glut of them. They are shipped on refrigerated truck. They seem to live fine. They make a water heater that  is basically a pool heater. During this time of year if ya had peelers I would run the closed system because you can maintain the temp better. Your water down there is fairly good as long as it's not in small shallow creek with poor circulation you'll be fine. You said 5000 peelers to start?? Coming from Wanchese they don't get a big run until late April beg of May. If you have never done peelers before you probably should play with a few (less than 100) to see how crabs live etc. 5000 peelers to start and for something to go wrong could be a little pricey. Especially when peelers are generally around .80/ $1.00 that time of year. You need to go to a sfd company down that way and check out how they do it. Mill Creek Sfd used to do it and there is C & S Sfd down in Smynra and Ron Sparks over that way too.(Marshallburg)

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home