December 07, 2021, 05:55:45 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crab TRAP size question?  (Read 8281 times)
Littleneckhalfshel

Ignore
« on: March 21, 2005, 11:36:26 AM »

With Spring here, my heart and mind turn to fishing, clamming and CRABBING!!!
I want to spend some time working on my equiptment and was thinking of making some experimental traps.
I noticed that Maryland has a size limit on Traps of 12" x 12"
I know that NJ limits the size of POTS to a 30" cube, BUT I have not seen anything in regard to Trap size.

Is there a regulation out there regarding the size of manually operated two or four door traps in NJ?
Is there a regualtion regarding ring traps or open top traps?  I guess I could call down to Shellfisheries, but thought I would try to tap the group in case anyone else has done this already to make their own traps.
SquanCrab

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 06:32:15 PM »

Hey I go crabbing in New Jersey all the time.  I usaully use the regular maryland regulation crab trap.  Ware do you go Clamming?
crabologist
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 04:20:15 AM »

Littleneck , a 12 x 12 is plenty big enough for a trap . Any bigger then that and you run into storage problems , not to mention breaking your back pulling them up all day .

Live To Crab And Crab To Live !!!!
Littleneckhalfshel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 05:45:37 PM »

I usually crab and clam down around Tuckerton.  We crab in the Bass River, Mullica and a number of tidal areas in the Tuckerton area.  For clamming we usually launch the boat somewhere out on 7 bridges road out of Tuckerton that goes out to the old Coast Guard station.   On the Trap size question, Storage would not be a problem, since I want to make folding traps.  I am trying to 'experiment' to see if a Wider two door trap works better than a regular 10" or 12" trap.  Just don't want to violate any laws, hence my question if there is a maximum size in NJ like there is for Crab Pots and a 150 foot legnth on recreational trotlines, (way too short in my estimation, but that is the law here in NJ)

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home