August 21, 2019, 08:22:46 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Testing shed tank water ?  (Read 5038 times)
jeff l

I love Crabby Pattys!

Ignore
« on: April 22, 2007, 08:56:17 AM »

Before when I had problems w/ water I would bring a water sample to the pet store and they would test the water for me for free, but w/ my new tank and  a lot more crabs at risk I want to get one of those kits, So my question is in your experience do those little cheap kits work well, or should I buy what the pet store uses.

Thanks ---Jeff

jeff l

I love Crabby Pattys!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 09:06:11 AM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Red-Sea-Reef-Lab-Water-Test-Kit-4-Salt-Water-Fish-Tank_W0QQitemZ150112952927QQihZ005QQcategoryZ20756QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is one one ebay

R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 09:27:00 AM »

Jeff you don't want that one,ammonia and nitrites are the main things you need to test for,I have a kit from Lamotte.........AQ_1TEST KIT    I don't know what it costs but this one kit does everything you will ever need      Aquaculture Supply USA DADE CITY FL    (352)  567_8540

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
jeff l

I love Crabby Pattys!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 09:29:37 AM »

Thanks I will call them Smiley

R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 09:36:10 AM »

If this one cost to much ask about a smaller kit that covers PH,Ammonia,nitrite, and nitrate, how many total gallons of water do you think you have in the system?

- John Wayne

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 09:44:07 AM »

....I use simple in-expensive test strips from Pet smart to test the water.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
jeff l

I love Crabby Pattys!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 09:56:53 AM »

If this one cost to much ask about a smaller kit that covers PH,Ammonia,nitrite, and nitrate, how many total gallons of water do you think you have in the system?
My tank is 4x8 by 7'' of water. So I think 90-100 gallons
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 09:59:58 AM by jeff l » Logged

R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 10:02:10 AM »

No reservior? if you just change 1/3 to 1/2 of your water ever 3 or 4 weeks you should be fine

- John Wayne
jeff l

I love Crabby Pattys!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 10:12:18 AM »

I have my tank and a 3x2x2 plastic box for my filter

got crab

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 12:31:10 PM »

all i ever test is the nitrite.  when it starts going from blue to purple i start changing some water and dumping ridx.  you can get the nitrite kit from the pet store for like 5 bucks.

R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 12:49:33 PM »

My bio filter is in great shape,I mostly test for nitrates now but I run my stuff year round and have found that irregardless of what the experts say excessive nitrates will kill peelers and cause shedding problems too especially if you are holding white lines,just changes half my water last week,ammonia and nitrite levels were almost unreadable,nitrate was over 250 ppm,I think I just need to put on a protien skimmer and that would slow the build up

- John Wayne
jeff l

I love Crabby Pattys!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 01:26:12 PM »

Do I have this right, crabs put off ammonia, but the alge on your bio filter, turns ammonia to nitrates which are still harmfull but not as bad as ammonia.  and to get rid of nitrates you do water changes.

Ph and anything else; I do not know,

Also I have 10 green crabs in the tank, just to condition the filter. I broke down and gave them a chicken nugget b/c they started to look really hungry.

Will crabs go a while w/out food.? I dont want to screw up my filterby giving thwm food.

Thanks ---Jeff

R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 02:17:27 PM »

bacteria turns ammonia into nitrites both are bad,but they futher change nitrites into nitrates which aint so bad unless at high levels.crabs will go 5 days to a week without food just fine,if possible after 4 or 5 days let those go,eat them or put them in a pot and feed them and put new crabs in the tank

- John Wayne
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 10:08:07 AM »

bacteria turns ammonia into nitrites both are bad,
Jeff, I agree with RD. Here's something to consider too. I would'nt feed the crabs anything, say if you used fish and that disengrtes and goes in to your holding tank. It stays there and ferments even longer. Try  to keep their water as clean, bacteria and chemical free as possible. If crabs loose their digits or die, make sure you get rid of them ASAP. Those broken off digits and dead peelers will give off ammonia and kill the rest of the peeler clan. RD is right about the crabs not eating for days. Peelers usually don't waste their energy on eating especially when the are red hot. Hey Jeff do you have a protein skimmer??? I'm not sure, but I think I saw a pic of RD's a long while back. We had used one once, never did get it to work properly, then hurricane came and took most of the pipe out.

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
jeff l

I love Crabby Pattys!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 12:15:36 PM »

Hfly-
the 10 crabs that are in the tank now, are not redliners,there just in there to condition the filter. I am going to leave them untill I catch some red liners. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home