April 16, 2021, 06:08:59 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VA minimum sizes and tollerance for small crabs LAWS  (Read 4929 times)
Tom Powers

Ignore
« on: July 03, 2004, 08:05:02 AM »

This came up on another board so I thought I would post it here.

Here are the LAWS concerning undersized crabs and dark sponge crabs. As far as I know they have to cite a sepecific code section so they can not go 3 from here and 8 from there is 11 so you get a ticket. The only crab that you can get in trouble for in a singular basis is undersized soft crabs. That is less than 3 1/2 inches.

Tom

From State Code (General Assembly) 28.2-708. Limitations on sizes of crabs to be taken; inspection of catch; exemption; penalty.

A. It is unlawful for any person to catch, take or have in his possession more than ten hard crabs per United States standard bushel or thirty-five hard crabs per barrel, which measure less than five inches across the shell from tip to tip of the longest spikes, or to destroy them in any manner. Those undersized crabs in excess of the allowance level shall be immediately returned to the water alive. Adult female crabs, peeler crabs and soft crabs are exempt from these limitations.

From Administrative Code (VMRC) 4 VAC 20-270-55. MINIMUM SIZE LIMIT.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to take, catch, harvest, possess, sell or offer for sale, or to destroy in any manner peeler crabs that measure less than 3 inches across the shell from tip to tip of the longest spikes.

1. It shall not be unlawful for any person to possess 10 or less peeler crabs, per United States standard bushel, that have been taken, caught, or harvested and that measure less than 3 inches across the shell from tip to tip of the longest spikes.

2. It shall not be unlawful to sell or to offer for sale, those peeler crabs less than 3 inches across the shell from tip to tip of the longest spikes, as authorized in subdivision A.1. of this section.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person to take, catch, harvest, possess, sell or offer for sale, or to destroy in any manner, any soft crab which measures less than 3 1/2 inches across the shell from tip to tip of the longest spikes.

4 VAC 20-370-20. CULLING REQUIREMENTS. D. It shall be unlawful for any person to possess for a period longer than is necessary for immediate determination of the presence of a dark egg mass, more than ten dark sponge crabs per United States standard bushel or thirty-five dark sponge crabs per barrel. During culling, those dark sponge crabs in excess of the allowance level shall be immediately returned to the water alive and shall not be altered or destroyed in any manner.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home