October 24, 2020, 04:55:44 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help settle a dispute  (Read 13126 times)
ScottT1980

« on: July 08, 2004, 02:18:41 PM »

I have been in a dispute regarding why crabs "bubble" after they have been out of the water for an extended period of time.  Of course, both myself and the individual with which I am having the dispute are basing our claims on pure speculation.

Does anyone know why crabs bubble?  Is it intentional (coping mechanism) or just a product of being out of the water?

TIA
mariner

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 02:21:46 PM »

They also blow the same bubbles in the water. It's what they do!

Watch a fish in an aquarium and you'll see them blow bubbles too. Once they take in water, their gills remove the oxygen to breathe and the co2 is bubbled out.

The respiratory system consists of the gills located in the two lateral branchial chambers. These chambers occupy the pointed lateral sides of the body and are bounded on all surfaces by the branchiostegites of the exoskeleton. The thin transparent body wall lying over the gills is little more than a chitinous membrane investing the dorsal surface of the branchial chamber. It is almost invisible but it separates the branchial chamber (which is filled with seawater) from the hemocoel (which is filled with blood). Remove this thin, transparent sheet from the gills. The branchial chamber is now open and the gills are exposed for study. There are eight gills on each side of the body but two of them are small and easily overlooked. The gills are exites of thoracic appendages. Each of the eight gills consists of a long central axis to which are attached, on opposite sides, two rows of very closely spaced flat, semicircular branchial filaments. Use a nadel to separate adjacent filaments from each other and look at them with magnification. Together the branchial filaments provide an immense surface area for gas exchange. The filaments are covered by cuticle which is molted periodically along with the rest of the exoskeleton. The gills divide the branchial chamber into dorsal and ventral regions. Water flows in the inhalent aperture to the ventral region, then across the gill filaments into the dorsal region. It then exits via the exhalent aperture.

Crabs have a special gill chamber that can hold water. Their gills are held by firm rods, and the filaments dangle down into the base of the chamber into a pool of water.. This system is beginning to act like a primitive lung, so that as long as the crab keeps the gill filaments moist, it can extract oxygen from the surrounding air in the gill chamber, and there is more oxygen in the air than there ever can be in water
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 03:09:18 PM by mariner » Logged
CrAbBeRpEzZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 02:24:08 PM »

i always thought it was because they were upset or a way to scare other animals Huh Huh
Crabslayer

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter soon to be Java Sea

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 02:27:56 PM »

Why bother.  Catch, STEAM (not boil)) and Eat.  Tongue

This is how it's going to go.  After I kick your A$$ i'm going to run you through the wood chipper and put you in containers in the freezer to use in my crab pots!  The really sad part?  You let an old man kick your A$$!!!
ScottT1980

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 02:28:34 PM »

It's what they do!

Ha, you can't tell that to a couple of science geeks (and you know we are geeks if we are actually disputing the "bubbling" of crabs).   Wink

« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 02:37:37 PM by ScottT1980 » Logged

kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Elvis has left the building....

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 03:13:58 PM »

..don't know about crabs bubbling...but if i'm sittin' in the tub Smiley...I know what causes me ta bubble Cheesy Grin Cheesy

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press? ...The Joker
Crabslayer

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 04:10:16 PM »

KC, JC told me you were full of it!  Grin Grin Grin

This is how it's going to go.  After I kick your A$$ i'm going to run you through the wood chipper and put you in containers in the freezer to use in my crab pots!  The really sad part?  You let an old man kick your A$$!!!
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2004, 04:20:21 PM »

I know nothing about KC's bubble blowing. Grin

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004, 04:30:42 PM »

....I'm not positive,but after one "bubbling" episode,my cat died Cry Grin..coinsidence? Grin Grin Grin

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press? ...The Joker
Big AL

Keep smiling

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2004, 05:24:39 PM »

That would explaine how that crab stayed alive under the seat of the boat for two days after a crabbing trip. He probabley was quite happy until I took him to the Delaware river and tossed him in,stopped blowing bubbles and blew mud balls I guess.
               BiG AL Smiley Wink

PS Man you sure get an education on this WEb site. Thanks for that info.

W W C

Crabpop

Home Sweet Home

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2004, 05:25:54 PM »

It's a little know scientific fact, but crabs that bubble around the mouth are rabid.  For your own safety, stop crabbing immediately!  I'm sure that everyone on this forum has their favorite honey hole just brimming with potentially rabid crabs. So, just send me the GPS coordinates for that location and, as a public service, I will travel there at my own expense and get rid of those pesky critters for you. Grin

Crabpop

Severn, Md USA
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2004, 05:31:56 PM »

IM GOING TO THE HOSPITAL I GOT RABIES FOR SURE
kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2004, 06:37:29 PM »

Hey Pop...you aint' right Grin..you jes ain't right Grin Grin

Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2004, 08:24:48 PM »

Hey Crabpop, I thought it was only the colored bubbles. Grin

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
Crabslayer

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2004, 08:44:37 AM »

Crabbers are just plain crazy.  Must come from being in the sun to long.  Cool

Pete Miller

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2004, 09:56:45 PM »

I think crabs bubble for the same reason KC and I do -- it Tickles!

Maybe that  is what happens to crabbers - we get the blue crab rabies and go crazy.

Pete Miller
252-269-0241
ScottT1980

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2004, 10:36:12 AM »

TY Mariner!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home