April 10, 2021, 08:04:41 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Its Sunday Stupid! Please Read this one.  (Read 33840 times)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« on: July 11, 2004, 05:34:29 PM »

Ok, for you folks that don’t know it, It is illegal for a holder of a Recreation Crab License in Virginia to attend his or her pots(traps) on Sunday.  

So today, Sunday, I get a call that means the boss and I need to drive to Baltimore for at least two days.  Fished the pots on Saturday and re-baited figuring that we would fish them again Monday.  But that’s not going to happen.  The crabs that are in the pots tonight will be out of food by this time Monday.  Does that make any sense?  Good crabs starving to death because I couldn’t go to them today, to at least let them free.  Yea, I know, we were going to eat them anyway but it’s a waste to just let them die.

Law says we need to attend pots to keep crabs from just being left to die but Legally I cant even ask my neighbor to set them free.  He can not touch someone else’s pot, etc.

Let’s say you are a weekender.  You drive to your favorite spot on Friday and put out your pots.  The best catch will be on Sunday but with a Rec license you can’t touch them.  You got to be home Sunday night for work on Monday.  No crabbing for you.  Why?

The VMRC has a link to this website on theirs.  So I would think, that somebody there is at least once in awhile reading some of the posts here.
  Angry Sad

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
TomPowers

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 06:31:45 PM »

Send your concerns to Jack Travelstead and ask him to forward it to the Commissioners.  

[email protected]

Also send a copy to Commissioner Bill Pruitt at:

[email protected]

He is in charge.

Tom
Steve
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 09:58:26 PM »

I think we all need to pull together on this and petition the VMRC to change its rules.

Being a waterfront property owner, each member of my household (including myself) is allowed to fish two crabpots whenever we like (with no license). But, should I purchase a $35.00 recreational crabpot license, I can work five crabpots, but only Monday-Saturday.

So, paying for a recreational crabpot license gives me three more pots to work, but I lose a day to do it. This just doesn't make any sense.

This law needs to be changed.

Can members of this forum get together and write some letters to the people that Tom Powers suggested?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 10:00:24 PM by Steve » Logged
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 05:25:48 PM »

MR. POWERS QUESTION FOR YOU

THE WAY I READ THE REGULATION YOU CANT CRAB ON SUNDAY THE 5 POTS YOU HAVE ON THE 5 POT LICENSE,
MARKED WITH THE LAST 4 OF TOUR DL# AND AN R.
RIGHT OK.
SO DOES THAT MEAN AS A PERSON I CANT CRAB (WITH 2 DIFFERENT POTS) ON SUNDAY DUE TO THE FACT I HAVE A 5 POT LICENSE?
Tom Powers

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 05:47:14 PM »

There are some that say that even those who use the two pot exemption have to mark their pots with R####.  I still have not figured that one out  as the rule about marking pots says the "licensee’s" numbers.  There is no “licensee” when you fish under the exemption.

There is a law somewhere that says the most an individual can use (i.e. have in the water) is 5 per person.  So having 5 plus 2 for Sunday does not cut it if they are all in the water at the same time.

So what I think is that you would have to pull up three of your pots on Saturday, and your other two pots are your exemption pots and you are fishing based on state code which allows ANYONE to work 2 pots for personal use only at any time.  State code does not say that licensed recreational crabber are not eligible for that exemption.

Next is the fuzzy part. . . IF you took your two kids out on Sat. AND you changed the buoys on three of your pots so that they had your kid’s numbers on them, (you could even add another pot for that matter) then you could take your two kids out with you on Sunday and work 5 or 6 pots.

Tom
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 05:50:22 PM by Tom Powers » Logged

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 06:14:50 PM »

Send an email to the Governor!
http://www.governor.virginia.gov/Contact/email_form.html

Lets make this a FIGHT!

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 06:20:14 PM »

http://www.blue-crab.org/yabbse/index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=1026

Do you crab Gov. Warner?

I sent an email to the folks Tom posted and to Gov. Warner.  Lets see if they respond.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 06:23:02 PM by jack1747 » Logged

CRABGUY
Lifetime Member

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 11:06:24 PM »

HMMMMMM MY POTS DONT HAVE BOUYS
THE POTS ARE TAGGED WITH THE #S

JACK HOW ABOUT POSTING YOUR E-MAIL(OR IM)
SO WE CAN ALL BE ON THE SAME PAGE??
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 10:58:05 AM »

4 VAC 20-670-30. GEAR RESTRICTIONS.
G. It shall be unlawful for any person licensed to use five crab pots under this chapter to fish these crab pots on Sunday.

I do not understand the purpose of the provision which prohibits any person licensed to use five crab pots for recreational crabbing, from fishing these crab pots on Sunday.  Would you please explain its intent.

I have heard that repealing 4 VAC 20-670-30 has been opposed by commercial waterman based on “they think it gives recreational crabbers a extra day to steal crabs from us”.  Correct me if I am wrong but my thinking, based on my actions and those of my neighbors, is that most people that acquire the $29.00 5 pot license are folks that crab for food and not sport.  I would think that such persons are water front property owners or folks that have daily access to the waters of Virginia. If you crab the same area often you will see that same guys crabbing day in, day out.  Why would I want to disturb their pots? Wouldn’t that just bring on retaliation from them?  I think most folks that would disturb a pot are folks curious about what is in them or what do they look like.  Those people would be more likely to be people without any pots.  Believe me I know what is on the end of that slimy rope.  I don’t need to pull up any more pots than my own.

4 VAC 20-670-30. GEAR RESTRICTION provision discourages folks from getting any license.  Since each individual can have 2 pots each a couple can have 4 pots and fish them 7 days a week without spending any money in the state for licenses.  One would question why anyone would get a 5 pot license.  However, if you fish for food (crabs) one person can go crabbing (5 pots) alone but you give up a day that you can crab.  

If I was a weekender there is no way I would spend the $29.00 just to get 1 more pot.  Lets say you make it down to the shore Friday afternoon.  You bait your pots.  The best day to fish them would be Sunday but Sunday you need to be getting home.  I am sure there are a lot of other issues that this old mans brain just cant think of.

I would like to suggest that you join the open discussion on the Blue-crab.org forum under the heading “Rules and Regulations - “It’s Sunday Stupid”.  Since the VMRC’s web site has multiple links to Blue-crab.org someone there must respect the work that this web site has done in educating people in the ways and rules of crabbing, nation wide.

Respectfully,
Jack Cumberland
Temperanceville, VA.

kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Elvis has left the building....

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2004, 11:07:09 AM »

Jack..any response from the emails you sent yet...wish I could do something,but I doubt your esteemed (I use that term lightly Angry legislatore would give a rats ars to what a Philly guy thinks Undecided....althiugh I gotta wunder,what in heaven's name were they thinkin'? Huh

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press? ...The Joker

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2004, 11:54:37 AM »

This isnt a VA resident thing.  Tourist money is important, so tourist opinions are important.

Steve
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2004, 01:01:41 PM »

Nice letter, Jack. I'm working on one too and will post it here.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2004, 04:27:47 PM »

I encourage anyone to plagiarize it and send email to the folks listed above.  Like I said this isnt necessarly a VA resident thing.  If you go to other crab forums on the web, help to get them involved also.  Just send those emails! Wink

kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2004, 06:28:46 PM »

now THAT I can do Wink...all over it like a cheap suit Grin

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press? ...The Joker
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2004, 07:53:30 PM »

OK Jack, I thought it was a VA thing. WILL DO. Wink

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.

kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2004, 08:17:13 PM »

'bout time ya got with the program,pal Grin

Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2004, 08:20:23 PM »

KC, I havn't crabbed in 8 days, effects my central nervous system, makes me a little slow. Grin

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2004, 08:41:12 PM »

only one way to cure that malady Wink..we're goin fri..you in? Huh Grin

CRABGUY
Lifetime Member

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2004, 10:39:32 PM »

OK SO I CALLED MY DELEGATE LIONEL SPRUILL
AND LEFT A MESSAGE
AND IM SENDING AN E-MAIL TO THE GOV.
TOMORRW
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2004, 09:27:04 AM »

Jack..any response from the emails you sent yet...wish I could do something,but I doubt your esteemed (I use that term lightly Angry legislatore would give a rats ars to what a Philly guy thinks Undecided....althiugh I gotta wunder,what in heaven's name were they thinkin'? Huh

So far not even a "thanks for your email" Sad

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home