April 10, 2021, 07:43:26 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Its Sunday Stupid! Please Read this one.  (Read 33839 times)
kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Elvis has left the building....

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2004, 12:04:15 PM »

did you xpect any different? Angry

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press? ...The Joker
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2004, 12:36:41 PM »

oops just looked in my junk mail folder and there is a response.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2004, 12:39:15 PM »

from jack travelstead:

Thanks for your email Jack. Because of my time constraints, I am
reluctant to join your web discussion, but you can certainly share this
email if you like. The Sunday prohibition was designed simply as a
measure to limit recreational harvest. The $29.00 fee for the license
also was meant as a deterrent for the same purpose. I do not think that
the arguments made by the commercial sector on this issue were what
decided it for the Commission. I believe they were reluctant to act
until they know more about the status of the resource and the success or
failure of all of the current regulations.

The question really is, is the Commission willing to repeal the Sunday
prohibition? I think the answer could be, yes. But first we want to see
the results of the next stock assessment for the blue crab resource in
the Chesapeake Bay. Toward the end of this year the scientific community
will complete the newest version of the stock assessment, which will
provide us with the most up to date information on the status and health
of the resource.  Depending on the results of the assessment, the
Commission might be willing to hear arguments again on the Sunday
prohibition issue. But, only if the assessment shows significant
improvement in the resource.

I encourage you and all others on the web discussion to contact us in
early 2005. At that time we can tell you the results of the assessment,
assuming you do not read it in the newspapers by then, and discuss
whether the Commission might be willing to hear your case again. As for
the rest of this year, the Commission is very reluctant to change
regulations after the April 1st start of the season. Contacting us in
January 2005 will provide plenty of time to hear the case before the
crabs arrive. So stay in touch. Jack

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2004, 11:23:10 PM »

I GOT A RESPONSE FROM THE GOVONERS OFFICE TODAY

July 15, 2004

Dear Mr. Garvin:

Governor Warner has asked me to thank you for your recent email and to respond to your concerns.

Your request to repeal a current regulation of the Marine Resources Commission that prohibits recreational crabbing on Sunday with a 5-pot license was recently the subject of a public hearing and discussion before the Commission.  Several reasons for maintaining the prohibition were noted by the public during that hearing and are accurately described in the web discussion you attached.  Although these reasons were, no doubt, considered by the Commission members, I believe they also considered that later this year a new stock assessment of the blue crab will be available from the scientific community.  That assessment will provide the Commission with the information on the status and health of the blue crab resource in the Chesapeake Bay.  The Commission, acting upon the advice of its staff, was reluctant to repeal the Sunday prohibition just as it was to repeal the ban on the harvest of dark-colored sponge crabs, at least until the new crab assessment is available.

After the new assessment is completed, and depending upon its findings, the Commission may willingly reconsider the regulatory changes you and others desire.

I encourage you to contact the Marine Resources Commission in early 2005 to receive the results of the blue crab assessment and to discuss once again the changes you favor.

Sincerely,
                                                W. Tayloe Murphy, Jr.

Zelda M. Hardy
Special Assistant
Office of the Secretary of Natural Resources
202 North Ninth Street, 7th Floor
Richmond, Virginia 23219
[email protected]
804-786-0044

CRABGUY
Lifetime Member

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2004, 11:27:20 PM »

I BELIEVE WE HAVE RUFFLED SOME FEATHERS AND SPARKED SOME CONVERSATION

Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2004, 11:47:28 PM »

Crabguy, I never read such a bunch [email protected]#$ in my life though it is typical of a govt. response. Who are the advisers?Huh Well sorry to hear it guys, but they just don't care about the little guy. Classical Govt. wait till next year  BS. They shot that down pretty quick didn't they. Some people probably will get upset but it sounds like SOMEONE'S POCKETS GOT LINED AGAIN. And that SPONGE CRAB LAW is the MOST STUPID ambiguos counter productive law I have ever seen. Angry Well he is your governor if there is enough of you guys upset you know how to deal with it. There are certainly more recreational votes. Grin

Jack, I hope you start seeing more sooks.

And no my caps are not stuck. Wink

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2004, 10:16:11 PM »

YUP Roll Eyes BUNCH OF SMOKE BLOWING

Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2004, 10:18:25 PM »

It's too bad Crabguy, sounds like they already made a decision before they went in there. Huh

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Elvis has left the building....

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2004, 04:08:57 PM »

C'mon JC....ya think they already had a deal cut?no,say it ain't so Angry..you mean those politicians would lie to us? Sad Sad...why'just the other night I saw one kissing a baby...and you think that kinda guy would lie?Huh Roll Eyes

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press? ...The Joker
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2004, 11:16:51 AM »

Got this just now.

Thank you for your recent email concerning the "no crabbing on Sunday" rule.  I have responded to others on this issue as has Jack Travelstead, Chief, Fisheries Management Division, Virginia Marine Resources Commission.  Both Mr. Travelstead and I believe that the Commission may be willing to make adjustments to the Sunday Rule after the new blue crab stock assessment is available later this year.

Several reasons for maintaining the Sunday prohibition were noted by the public during a recent hearing.  Although these reasons were, no doubt, considered by the Commission members, I believe they also considered that later this year a new stock assessment of the blue crab will be available from the scientific community.  That assessment will provide the Commission with the information on the status and health of the blue crab resource in the Chesapeake Bay.  After the new assessment is completed, and depending upon its findings, the Commission may willingly reconsider the regulatory changes you and others desire.

I encourage you to contact the Marine Resources Commission in early 2005 to receive the results of the blue crab assessment and to discuss once again the changes you favor.  Please feel free to share this information with others during your web discussions.

Sincerely,
                  W. Tayloe Murphy, Jr.

Zelda M. Hardy
Special Assistant
Office of the Secretary of Natural Resources
202 North Ninth Street, 7th Floor
Richmond, Virginia 23219
[email protected]
804-786-0044

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2004, 06:58:42 PM »

After giving this rule more thought, I think its really stupid.  The pots are still out there on Sunday.  The crabs are still crawling into them.   Huh

Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2004, 08:01:29 PM »

Jack they have alot of dumb rules down there, don't get me started. Sad Wink Cool Cool

procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2004, 06:14:42 PM »

the point of having sunday off in the commercail industy is to lower the number of hours someone can crab and therefore lowering the total number of crabs that can be caught, but for recs... this makes no sense?!

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2004, 07:03:30 PM »

comm's can fish their pots on Sunday Cool

CRABGUY
Lifetime Member

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2004, 09:51:24 PM »

I CAN RUN MY POTS ON SUNDAY
SO CAN MY SON
AND DAUGHTER
THE WIFE TOO
THATS 8

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2004, 03:27:59 PM »

I CAN RUN MY POTS ON SUNDAY
SO CAN MY SON
AND DAUGHTER
THE WIFE TOO
THATS 8

however, technically they have to be in the boat with you. if you go to more than 2 pots, alone, with the man watching your gona get a fine.

CRABGUY
Lifetime Member

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2004, 09:49:15 PM »

YEA BUT I (WE) CAN STILL CRAB
SO WHATS THE POINT OF BUYING THE 5 POT

ALSO I CAN HAVE 2 POTS, THEY MUST BE MAEKED W/ MY LAST 4# AND "R"
SO IF I GET A 5 POT I CAN STILL HAVE 2 MORE  THAT I CAN RUN ON SUNDAY AS LONG AS I ONLY PULL 2
WHO IS TO SAY WHAT 2 ARE THE RECREATIONAL (2POT) ONES?Huh??
THE MARKINGS ARE THE SAME
I LOVE LOOPEHOLES

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2004, 11:31:25 AM »

There are some that say that even those who use the two pot exemption have to mark their pots with R####.  I still have not figured that one out  as the rule about marking pots says the "licensee’s" numbers.  There is no “licensee” when you fish under the exemption.

There is a law somewhere that says the most an individual can use (i.e. have in the water) is 5 per person.  So having 5 plus 2 for Sunday does not cut it if they are all in the water at the same time.

So what I think is that you would have to pull up three of your pots on Saturday, and your other two pots are your exemption pots and you are fishing based on state code which allows ANYONE to work 2 pots for personal use only at any time.  State code does not say that licensed recreational crabber are not eligible for that exemption.

Next is the fuzzy part. . . IF you took your two kids out on Sat. AND you changed the buoys on three of your pots so that they had your kid’s numbers on them, (you could even add another pot for that matter) then you could take your two kids out with you on Sunday and work 5 or 6 pots.

Tom
CG, I checked into this and found Tom's post to be correct.  (as usual) Wink

So a rec license gives me and Da Boss 10 pots.  

The point is, imo, the pots are still out thier even if u cant tend them on Sunday.  They, the pots, are still catching crabs.  What I would like to see is an exemption to the Sunday rule for water front property owners.  My thinking is the Sunday law would still cut the harvest of crabs by the rec crabbers who could not set pots on Saturday and pick them up on Sunday(weekenders).  It (exemption to Sunday rule) would allow wfp owners to fish the pots Sunday because the pots are going to be there anyway and are just going to be harvesting the same crabs on Monday morning.

CRABGUY
Lifetime Member

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2004, 05:06:33 PM »

Any person desiring to take or catch finfish or shellfish for recreational purposes in the tidal waters of Virginia must first obtain the appropriate gear license (See Exemptions and Annual License Fees below). Gear licenses can be purchased from any Virginia Marine Resources Commission (VMRC) licensing agent, except that crab pound/trap licenses can only be obtained from the district marine patrol officer. All licenses are valid for a calendar year and expire December 31 in the year issued. License tags for boats using crab pots and/or trotlines must be fastened at a conspicuous place on the starboard side of the boat or on the boat's mast; for crab pounds, the tags must be fastened to one of the offshore stakes [Code 28.2-225, 28.2-226.1, 28.2-234, 28.2-300, Regulation 4 VAC 20-60-20].

Gear Marking and Reporting Requirements

Buoys of any crab pot, eel pot, gill net or ordinary crab trotline, and an offshore stake of any crab trap, used for recreational purposes, shall be marked legibly with the licensee's last 4 numbers of his/her social security number or driver's license number, preceded with the letter "R"; these figures must be at least 1 inch in height. [4 VAC 20-670-40].

EXEMPTIONS - The following activities are exempt from the licensing requirements:

1. Taking by dip net, hand line, or two crab pots (or two collapsible crab traps), as much as one bushel of hard crabs and two dozen peeler crabs in any one day for personal use aboard any vessel.  If crabbing occurs from shore (crabs are not possessed on a vessel) the possession limit is one bushel and two dozen peeler crabs per person per day.

WHAT IM SAYING IS WHO SAYS YOU CANT BE A RECREATIONAL 2POT CRABBER ON SUNDAY
JUST PICK 2
MARK THE 2 AS SUCH W/SUNDAY ON THE BOUY.
SOMEONE SHOW ME WHERE IT SAYS THAT IF YOU HAVE A 5 POT LIC. YOU CANT RUN  ANY POTS ANY WHERE
ON SUNDAY
ITS A PRETTY BIG BAY  Huh

« Last Edit: October 29, 2004, 05:10:12 PM by CRABGUY » Logged
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2004, 05:09:16 PM »

JUST ONE STEP FURTHER
W/A 5 POT LIC AND 5 IN THE WATER ON SUNDAY NOT TENDED
THAT MEANS YOU CANT EVEN CRAB OFF A PIER ON SUNDAY W/ TRAPS Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home