April 10, 2021, 08:05:13 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Its Sunday Stupid! Please Read this one.  (Read 33841 times)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2004, 06:48:33 PM »

4 VAC 20-670-30. GEAR RESTRICTIONS.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person to use more than five crab pots or more than two eel pots when licensed for recreational purposes under this chapter.

http://www.mrc.state.va.us/fr670.htm Undecided

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2004, 09:06:27 PM »

4 VAC 20-670-30. GEAR RESTRICTIONS.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person to use more than five crab pots or more than two eel pots when licensed for recreational purposes under this chapter.

http://www.mrc.state.va.us/fr670.htm Undecided
OK DEFINE "USE"
IF THE POTS ARE IN THE WATER ON SUNDAY ...............
YOU CANT USE TEND, REMOVE CRABS FROM THE TRAP UNDER THE LAW...........
 SO YOU CANT COUNT THOSE 5
IF YOU CANT TEND THEM YOU CANT USE THEM
ARE YOU REQUIRED TO REMOVE THE POTS FROM THE WATER ON SAT AT MIDNIGHT Huh Huh Huh

P.S. IM NOT LICENSED AND I LIKE LIKE THAT
JACK UNDER YOUR LICENSE DO YOU HAVE TO REPORT YOUR CATCH?HuhHuh
« Last Edit: October 29, 2004, 09:08:29 PM by CRABGUY » Logged
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2004, 09:57:47 AM »

JACK UNDER YOUR LICENSE DO YOU HAVE TO REPORT YOUR CATCH?HuhHuh

No

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2004, 10:22:05 AM »

YOU SURE???

Gear Marking and Reporting Requirements

Buoys of any crab pot, eel pot, gill net or ordinary crab trotline, and an offshore stake of any crab trap, used for recreational purposes, shall be marked legibly with the licensee's last 4 numbers of his/her social security number or driver's license number, preceded with the letter "R"; these figures must be at least 1 inch in height. [4 VAC 20-670-40].

Any person catching finfish or shellfish using a recreational gillnet, cast net, dip net, crab pot, crab trap, crab trotline, eel pot, or any other recreational license established by Regulation 4-VAC-20-670 must report annually on forms provided by the Commission: the weight and species harvested, location of harvest, days fished and amount of gear used (click here for downloadable form; if you get a prompt for a password click cancel)  [4 VAC 20-670-40].

Tom Powers

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2005, 02:13:09 PM »

Actually there is a loophole in the law.  Here is the regulation section.

4 VAC 20-670-40. GEAR MARKING REQUIREMENTS:

A. Buoys of any crab pot, eel pot, gill net or ordinary crab trotline, used for recreational purposes, shall be marked with the licensee's last 4 numbers of his or her social security number or driver's license number, preceded by the letter "R".

B. An offshore stake of any crab trap, used for recreational purposes, shall be marked with the licensee's last 4 numbers of his or her social security number or driver's license number, preceded by the letter "R".

C. In accordance with subsections A and B of this section, licensees shall mark their gear in a legible and visible manner and in figures of not less than 1 inch in height.

The loop hole is that individuals fishing two pots are not required to have a license thus they are not the licensee.  Just to be safe you could put them on but you are not required to have them marked unless you have a 5 pot license.

The Sunday deal only applies to folks with a 5 pot license.  If you have such a license so that you can use fold up traps then you are correct you can not use the gear on a Sunday.  Sad

In my opinion there ought to be three definitions in code (i.e. the legislature has to do this) one for a crab pot and one for a crab trap and one for a crab pound.

A crab pound is a bank trap that looks like a pound net with a rectangular trap at the deep water end. (not good words but you know what I mean)

A crab pot is a device designed such that crabs may enter but are impeeded from exiting by the design of the pot.

A crab trap is a device designed such that crabs may enter or exit at will until the trap is removed from the water, at which time the trap may close thus impeeding the crabs from exiting.

Then they should allow the Commission to create a license for no more than 25 crab traps per person or vessel and allow no more than 5 per person or vessel without a license.

That will take legislation and is not likely to make it out of committee until the crab population rebounds and stablizes.

In theory there was supposed to be a few VMRC Blue Crab Advisory Committee meetings this spring.  I asked and was told that they will not happen until VIMS completes the stock assessment.  I do not know when that will happen.

Tom

crab_man77

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2005, 06:34:24 PM »

commercial watermen can only fish peeler pots on sunday. We are also not allowed to fish crab pots or have any crab on the boat other than peelers. But just because you can not fish them does not mean you can not go out and bait them. There is no law saying you can not rebait on Sunday. You just can not "fish" them on Sunday. And fishing is described as the act of taking crabs out not putting bait in. LOOPHOLE!
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2005, 09:20:18 PM »

OK ILL GRAB THIS AND RUN WITH IT AGAIN Cool

FIRST OF ALL I THINK THE SUNDAY RULE SUX Huh
NOW, I HAVE 2 POTS SO DOES MY SON THATS 4, MY DAUGHTER HAS 2 AS WELL THATS 6 FOR THOSE THAT ARE COUNTING,
I NEED NO LICENSE WHATSOEVER TO RUN THESE POTS  (YOU SAY YES YOU DO, SHOW ME     http://www.mrc.state.va.us/recfish&crabrules.htm   
MY 2 POTS PER PERSON ARE EXEMPT FROM THE LICENSE REQUIREMENT, laugh AND I CAN PULL THEM ON SUNDAY WITH THE KIDS IN THE B.O.A.T.
SO WHY THE HECK WOULD I BUY A 5 POT LICENSE,
NEXT

SO A 5 POT LICENSE HOLDER CANT CRAB ON SUNDAY AT ALL?Huh (HANDLINES ONLY OR DIPNETTING)
WHERE DOES IT SAY THAT HE/SHE CANT HAVE THEIR OWN 2 POTS TO RUN ON SUNDAY IN ADDITION TO THE 5 THAT YOU HAD TO BUY THE LICENSE FOR
(LOOPHOLE)
EXAMPLE: THE WATER COPS PULL UP ON SUNDAY AND YOURE PULLING YOUR 2 POTS THAT ARE EXEMPT  CAUSE YOURE ALLOWED 2 PER PERSON,
THESE ARE NOT THE 5 YOU CANT RUN ON SUNDAY??
THE ONES YOU DONT NEED A LICENSE FOR

SO YOURE RUNNING YOUR FIVE POTS 6 DAYS A WEEK
AND 2 POTS 1 DAY A WEEK Roll Eyes
I LOVE LOOPHOLES

CRABGUY
procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2005, 09:28:37 AM »

here is the problem: you guys read and think about the law.  the lawmen dont. they go by the marine police procedures.  what you need to do is call the marine police and ask them, not what the law IS, but HOW THEY are enforcing things.  same problem in MD with numbers of pots and cull rings. a pot must have a cull ring, but that ring does not need to be open in the chesapeake (but does in the coastal bays except in the peeler run)  or something like that.... who the [Sam Hill] knows what they want or what tehy were thinking (or not thinking)  policeman joker stop joker dunce2 jester policeman

rolleyes5 wall goofy

CRABGUY
Lifetime Member

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2005, 11:14:40 PM »

THAT SOUNDS GOOD IN THEORY PROCRABBER, BUT "COPLOGIC " IS WHY WE HAVE THE COURT SYSTEM, THE LAW IS NOT SUBJECT TO THE COPS INTERPRETATION, THEY HAVE THE DESCRETION TO ENFORCE OR NOT TOO,
(WOULDNT THAT BE NICE FOR ALL OF US)
THE LAW IS THE LAW
IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DO WHAT YOU CAN TO CHANGE IT

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home