December 01, 2021, 05:15:03 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MATTAMUSKEET WAS GREAT!!  (Read 7100 times)
madcrab

Say hello to my littl' friend!!

Ignore
« on: July 19, 2004, 05:37:00 PM »

Went down to Lake Mattamuskeet on Sunday.  Left home at 11:30 in the pm on Saturday, arrived at Mattamuskeet at 6 am on Sunday.   Driving down there was ugly.  Ran into thunderstorms all the way down to Rocky Mount NC.  Lightning was spectacular...Zeus himself would of been impressed!!  Anway, I took 301 south to 95 through Richmond...down to 64 through Rocky Mount, NC...then down 32 to 45...to 264 which takes you to Mattamuskeet ( ain't mapquest directions... Roll Eyes).  I decided to take a "little" shortcut on the way down.  Decided to take a "short-cut" on 33 down to 64 (bypassing Rocky Mount).  Oops.  Bad Idea!!  This was no straight shot...had to go through a couple small town, dodge the t-storms, watch out for deer, and keep my senses about me as I got lost in the boonies of North Carolina.  Somehow ended back on 64 east toward the Cape.  Whew!!  Shocked Shocked  FINALLY got to Mattamuskeet (the lodge) at 6 am.  Already 4 people at the big lock at the lodge.  Started crabbing on the small, white, wooden bridge that take you back into the jungle.  Set 5 traps (I thought you could only put out 5 traps or lines...) and first pull...4 big jimmies in the trap.  WHERE'S THE COOLER!!  Grin   Started out unbelievable...three 8"ers in the first 30 minutes...lots of 6-7 1/2"ers.  Got the dozen in 10 minutes, maybe.   Culled lots of crabs out.  One guy crabbed on the bridge with me...he had 7 handlines (with chicken backs) and was able to toss the lines out further than my traps (he caught the big ones first  Lips Sealed).  He lived in VA and said that he comes down once a month to crab this unbelievable lake.   He said that in September, all the crabs are 8"s plus, with many 9"ers  (I believe him).  I talked with four other people...all said the same  "September is the time to come down."  I caught 90 some crabs..from 6 am till 10 am.  Kept 1 dozen...5 were 8" plus (biggest was 8 1/2")...the rest were around 7 1/4".    The canals are all very shallow (1-3').  You can see the crabs skirting about in the shallower edges.  The guy from VA said that in Sept...the crabs stay in the shallower edges b/c of the O2 depletion in the deeper water.  All you need is a long net to dip your dozen of 8"ers...no bait req'ed (In Sept...not so much now).  Had  "OFF-DEEPWOODS" to protect me (with 30% deet).  Horseflies the size of small aircraft...and many the size of toy planes greeted me as I drove into the refuge...I wasn't pleased.   Shocked Shocked  I left at 10:30 am for the long drive home.  I guess I left that 9"er for someone else to catch...too bad I'm coming back in September to get him!!  Hope you all can get back down there!!  -I'll try to post the pictures, but all you have to look at is a dozen of Wye jimmies to see what I caught...although the crabs at Mattamuskeet develope a "kype", like spawning male salmon get (the big "hook" or bend in the upper jaw) in their "crusher" claw (the bigger claw).  Really weird.  As Joe stated, "it's a real battleground out there...lots of one claws...and no claws."  Can't wait to get back down there!!  Grin Grin Cool

"...as a free man, I take pride in saying, I am a doughnut."
kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Elvis has left the building....

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 06:09:51 PM »

as if i wsasn't dyin b4 Cheesy...now i'm REALLY dyin Grin...way to go Matt Grin Grin Grin

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press? ...The Joker
madcrab

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 06:29:54 PM »

Hopefully the blue moon will help you out.  Maybe some of them 8s will be 9's or bigger when you all are there.  I'll definitely have my shot at one in September!!  You all will have a great time...enjoy!!  Grin Wink

Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 06:50:54 PM »

Great to hear it Matt, I said I am going down at least one more if not two times, 1st week of Sept. and late Oct. or early Nov. Maybe I get a nice 8" softie. Can't wait for the pictures. Maybe the lake is the place to be now. 11 days anfd counting. Wink Cool Cool Cool

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
madcrab

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 07:05:08 PM »

Yeah, apparently there are a ton of people crabbing that place, at least in terms of how remote and unpopulated the area is.  When I left, there were at least a dozen people crabbing on the lock by the lodge.  I chatted a bit (all of them thought I was insane for coming all the way down for crabs...I agreed  Grin) and all the crabs were the same size I had.  September or October is definitely the time for the "real big boys."  Good luck to everyone going down at the end of the month...it's gonna be great!!

madcrab

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 07:06:45 PM »

Sorry Pete...but you don't have my business...YET.  I think in September you'll get a visit from me though... Grin Wink

Pete Miller

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 07:23:22 PM »

Way to go Madcrab Grin Grin Grin

Maybe the state of NC should promote crabbing trips to remote eastern NC to provide some bucks to the poor folk.  

Probably should wait until September when you have the 9er for the mount.  That is when the big boys show up the most in NC mid Sept to early to mid October.

Was there alot of tree limbs, etc when you fished from the white bridge to Jungleland? Pretty bad when we were there.  Did catch 1 nice sized Jimmy and then nothing in 10 minutes when I went with Joe and Tim.  Wonder if the crabs are just more plentiful or if they were drawn to the shade for the cooler water and likelihood of more oxygen.  MC, did you hear anything about how the Landing and Waupoppin Locks produced?

Hope to see you later in the year Madcrab.

Is it just me or are we having alot of blue moons over the last few years?

Got to get back to these tables to these underwater tables?

Pete Miller
252-269-0241
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 07:37:15 PM »

Pete your questions will be answered real soon. Wink Now you got me and Crabguy on the lake. The lady at the hotel said Land Lake is the biggest producer becuase it has the biggest food source from the sound though I don't understand how it could get any more crowded where we were except for size. I plan on dropping myself dead center between the three canals on the lake right in front of that food source heaven. Cheesy If there is a 9+ on that lake I am going to track his [arse] down. Grin And at worst case I told you this is my year I have two more trips planned to get that trophy. Pete call me and let me know if you are dropping by on the way to NE. Cool Cool Cool
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 07:37:54 PM by Joe Crabs » Logged

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
Pete Miller

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2004, 02:51:58 PM »

I sure hope you all get the 9ers if not on this trip-then the next one.
Late September, early October would be a great time for another crab party.

Have to put the trip to New England off Joe, guys were late getting the tables made -so I am behind the eight ball again.  Did a all nighter just finishing the scene in the big coffee table and have just finished the crab coffee table and still have to finish the dolphin sportfishing wall display, plus 2 others and assorted smaller items.
Not going to have time to get the brochures made, so I will try NE again probably in August.

Good news is I will probably get to the Lake to meet everyone and maybe even spend the night.

Hope everyone has a great time!  I am sure you will.  Got to get back to work before I fall asleep! Tongue Tongue Tongue

Pete Miller
252-269-0241
Pete Miller

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2004, 02:57:59 PM »

BTW I just got 2 crabs from a commercial crabbing friend that are 9+.  He wants them mounted for himself so do not get too excited.

Came from Long Bay on the back side of Cedar Island.  Very unusual to find crabs of that size there.  Absolutely beautiful colors.

Hoping this is a very good omen for you guys.

Oh yeah, I will be exhibiting at the Hyatt Resort in Cambridge with all the new furniture pieces, etc the 23 through the 25th.  Anybody can come and see me and the other 3 exhibitors in the lobby.  The rest of the exhibits are mostly Yatch services and equipment and you have to be registered for the show to see them and it is by invitation only.  Sorry, not my doing.

Lord willing I will see ya'll at the Lake.

Pete Miller
252-269-0241

Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2004, 04:06:08 PM »

Good to here it buddy, the way things are going you may see a few 9's (crabs) up here with all these 7 1/2 - 8 1/2's being caught. Won't have to freeze them and mail. I think I am going to have to do 2 now. Wife wants one with her name on it for the kitchen, she will get the smaller of the two.Cool Cool Cool

kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Elvis has left the building....

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2004, 04:13:44 PM »

yer wife always gets the SMALLER one,don't she, pal Grin Grin Grin

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press? ...The Joker
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2004, 06:00:40 PM »

oh hum Roll Eyes

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2004, 06:57:39 PM »

Yeah KC as long as it's heavy she don't mind. Wink

madcrab

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2004, 11:39:12 AM »

Dontcha just love this site?  Roll Eyes Grin Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home