August 21, 2018, 09:39:37 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BlueCrab prices  (Read 2910 times)
CrabEater

« on: May 01, 2003, 08:54:55 AM »

Hi, I recently visited a place called "Fingers and Claws" near my house in Montgomery County, Maryland.

Anyways, they were selling a dozen hard shell crabs for $44.

The crabs were listed as large, and they said they were about 6, 3/4 inches.

I thought that was a bit pricey for normal.   But I am not sure as with the current crab popullation situation.  Is that a good price, or is that too expensive?

I dunno, what are good prices for different sizes of crabs in dozens?

Thanks
Kodi

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2003, 11:12:07 AM »

Crabeater,

Unfortunately that isn't out of line for this time of year.  The place I use is still getting them from Louisanna and the other day they had them for 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 dollars for a dozen.

Too rich for my wallet so I had to pass.  I figured the 20's would be real small and I didn't want that.   Sad

Kodi
CrabEater

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2003, 04:02:47 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

I know prices are up pretty high.   Can anyone give me a current estimate of what the different prices are for the different sizes?  Hopefully in inches and in their current categories.

The prices should be by the dozen as that is how I get them.

Thanx
Darrell
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2003, 10:42:17 PM »

Hey Crab Eater..This is Darrell..The Chesapeake Explorer.. two weeks ago at Chesapeake Beach Md Smokey Joes at Rod and Reel dock
a dozen crabs were at 30.00. Crab prices will soon go high. 30-40 a dozen is about right, as far as size goes, You have two choices Regular and "Jumbos" Well Regular may be 5 to 5/12 inch and any thing over is "Jumbos". Now When crabs are plentyful "Jumbos" are crabs about 7 inches and over and over. #1s are 6" crabs, mediums would be 5 1/2 and small about 5 to 5 and a quarter..thats in good crabbing days. figure today regulars to be under 6" and Jumbos to be over 6". Years ago you could buy a single or two or three real "Jumbos" at places such as "The Crab Claw" in St. Michaels MD. but today with crabs scarce it will be harder to do so . I can say that I went two years ago to Capt. Johns crab house at Cobb Island Md and got a 1/2 dozen and they were 18 dollars and one crab was 8Inches! So I was happy! Belive it or not I have a hard time paying crab house prices however ..Its hard to break the habit of catching them yourself!
Whit

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2003, 11:44:19 PM »

Annapolis seafood wanted $44 a dozen for large and $34 for med and they were getting them from the Carolina's.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home