August 15, 2018, 01:19:30 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Traps in Florida called pots in Md.  (Read 2819 times)
specialk

Ignore
« on: July 01, 2007, 01:44:52 PM »

FYI   In Fl they call the big cages Traps . In Md. Pots . They didn't know what I was talking about when I asked about collapsible pull up traps .  In Fl. you are allowed 5 Traps [pots ] per person with your fishing lic.

In Md. you need a commercial lic except for  2 pots off your personal dock.

Didn't see anyone in Ft. Myers area Gulf side using pull ups .

One guy who sells blue crabs along with other seafood actually told me in June that he would stop crabbing till Sept  . Either no demand or maybe they don't get many in summer . He got busy with a customer so I didn't get a chance to ask him the reason .

Tony
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 03:09:36 PM »

Just to make sure everybody is clear on this, in Fla. you are allowed ONLY 5 traps or pots,fold up,collapsable, ring,net,box orcommercial pots

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
specialk

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 12:10:50 AM »

RD. Interesting reply . That's just what I spent 4 months talking to the fish and game officers, crabbers and even a lady who was on some kind of crab reg. commission ..She said you could use all the small traps you wanted to . I'm really confused .

Some said what you said and others said that there no rules on any device that would only trap the crab if you pulled on a rope to trap the crab like the collapsible kind and rings.

I checked every rule book I could find and went to the Fl . fish and game site and could find nothing about collapsible traps .

I snow bird in Punta Gorda and took down a bunch of coll. traps hoping to catch some blue crabs.

Could you lead me to where you got that info. Sure would appreciate it .I sure don't want any fines since 2 fish and game officers told me I could use all I want as long as I was there working them .

Have you ever done any of this type crabbing .You must do some kind of crabbing or you wouldn't be on this board .  I was wondering if putting any type of exposed bait on the bottom would last long enough for the crabs to get to it with all the toothy critters you have down there .

I was also looking for any info. on trot lining for crabs like we do here in MD.

I don't have a place on the water and my boat is small so it would be tough hauling 5 of the big traps back and forth . Would it be worthwhile timewise
 to try to catch a couple of dozen with only 5 small pullup  traps ? 

I have a 50 pot commercial license here in Md. and our rules are spelled out to the last tiny detail by our Dept of Natural resources for both commercial and recreational .

The only rule I saw for recs was I think 10 gallons and I didn't even see a size limit for rec. crabbers .

Lots of Questions I know . Any info would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks Tony
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 06:54:46 AM »

Hey Tony, we have been all through this  and it's all posted on here in Gulf reports,up until very recently you couldn't fish any fold up but a pyramid with a 12 in base,that law is being changed.Hopefully will be able to get y'all at least 10 per person at some point in the future,right now trotline are unlimited but they will not stay that way. Chicken necks work fine down here. If you were in Punta Gorda the the lady you talked to must have been named Kelly,she is on the Blue crab advisory board but hasn't been part of fold up trap issue. I commercial pot crabs in N Fla.   Rec. limit is 10 Gal's and there is no size limit on Rec's.

- John Wayne
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 07:17:54 AM »

Here is the link that will help,    http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php/topic,9316.0.html

- John Wayne

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home