July 11, 2020, 11:27:21 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbee..great board  (Read 3588 times)
ramssl

Ignore
« on: July 22, 2007, 10:07:18 PM »

Hi newbee here, great boards with a lot of info here, not to mention a lot of great people sharing their spots. Got out of crabbing for about 5 years now and really miss it. just started again this year but hard to find places to go anymore. I use to go to barnegat all the time but its such a long drive for me. Anyone know of any spots near central NJ, morgan, laurence harbor, keyport down to about long branch?? I like to crab at night if anyone knows of a dock you can crab from at night, i know the keansburg peir closes at night. thanks for any help, just want to get back into it.If i find a good spot i will post it.

I know this is not the right board its the only thing i can offer right now since i havnt been crabbing in years, but if you want some nice size stripers when there running they built a great fishing pier here in carteret where i got some big stripers from, got one 40lbs last year, biggest striper i ever caught. this year the biggest i got was 32lbs, also good for blues and snappers. Its off of industrial ave in carteret and lit up for night fishing they just dont allow crabbing from it:( also a park and mini golf for the kids and plenty of parking.

Thanks again
Joe

Life isn't  like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of jalapeņos.  What you do today, might burn your a$$ tomorrow."
surfpico

Mmm Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 10:13:07 PM »

Just do a search. I know the Navesink - because I was there today.

And that's right by Keyport and the "chicken coope" where I had some nasty macaroni salad at.

Smiley

"I was a bayman like my father was before / Can't make a living as a bayman anymore / There ain't much future for a man who works the sea / But there ain't no island left for Islanders like me..."
-Billy Joel, Singer/Songwriter/Greatest Long Islander-
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 10:14:03 PM »

Welcome aboard Joe , glad to hear you are getting back into crabbing, hane a great year , Good luck.  Smiley

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
ramssl

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 10:18:22 PM »

Just do a search. I know the Navesink - because I was there today.

And that's right by Keyport and the "chicken coope" where I had some nasty macaroni salad at.

Smiley

Just been out of it for so long dont know any spots anymore, went to a few of my old spots but now theres marinas or houses there:) hard to find a spot for crabbing at night. sorry to hear about your macaroni salad..lol i hope the crabbing was better:)

Life isn't  like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of jalapeņos.  What you do today, might burn your a$$ tomorrow."
ramssl

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 10:21:42 PM »

Welcome aboard Joe , glad to hear you are getting back into crabbing, hane a great year , Good luck.  Smiley

Thanks same to you:) glad i found this board, lot of nice people and a lot of info. glad to get back into crabbing really miss it, started my own buiss. so i been out of it for a while, but im back now..lol

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 10:22:42 PM »

wish i could help you out but only know S. Jersey, someone on here will be able to get you going in the right direction.  Wink

Pinchy

Instructions: Hunt, fish, crab - rinse and repeat.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 11:12:27 PM »

That fishing pier in Carteret sounds great. You can't crab there because catching crabs from that body of water is banned by NJ due to heavy pollution. You need to go farther south and crab around the Navesink River, where the crabbing reports have recently been excellent. Study your maps and you should be able to find a pier, bridge, or bulkhead from which to throw your traps. Good luck.

Please pack your trash out, pick up others', and leave your fishing spot cleaner than when you found it.
ramssl

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 11:12:55 AM »

That fishing pier in Carteret sounds great. You can't crab there because catching crabs from that body of water is banned by NJ due to heavy pollution. You need to go farther south and crab around the Navesink River, where the crabbing reports have recently been excellent. Study your maps and you should be able to find a pier, bridge, or bulkhead from which to throw your traps. Good luck.

Yea its great for fishing but like you said they have sign up from here to Perth Amboy that the crabs in this water causes cancer.I cant even eat crabs cause I'm allergic to shell fish i just love doing it. thanks for your help i will check out the navesink. I have a 18' center counsel that just needs a new fuel tank, i might just fix that up and i wont have a problem finding a place to go.
thanks again

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 11:15:36 AM »

That is your best bet , it it only needs a fuel tank . you are much better off with a boat for fishing and for crabbing, good luck.  Wink

Sunpal

Pickin' n' grinnin'

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 11:31:38 AM »

I cant even eat crabs cause I'm allergic to shell fish i just love doing it.

Welcome to the board!!
Just curious, what do you plan to do with the crabs you catch?  Catch and release?

If it weren't for going in circles, I'd get nowhere

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 11:33:44 AM »

send them to me . laugh laugh laugh laugh

Pinchy

Instructions: Hunt, fish, crab - rinse and repeat.

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 11:33:55 AM »

...I cant even eat crabs cause I'm allergic to shell fish i just love doing it. thanks for your help i will check out the navesink. I have a 18' center counsel that just needs a new fuel tank, i might just fix that up and i wont have a problem finding a place to go.

Hey ramssl;

Just because you are allergic to shellfish (clams, oysters) does not mean you are allergic to crustaceans (crabs, lobsters). Unless you have eaten crabs and got a bad reaction, don't give up yet!    As for your boat, please send me a line if you would consider taking passengers aboard; maybe we can get a couple nice people from this forum together, to share expenses on an all-day crabbing or fishing trip with you. Send me a line, thanks!

Please pack your trash out, pick up others', and leave your fishing spot cleaner than when you found it.
ramssl

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 03:30:54 PM »

Welcome to the board!!
Just curious, what do you plan to do with the crabs you catch?  Catch and release?

well my brothers and sisters eat crabs so they would get them, most i can eat is one and thats taking a chance. weird cause i use to eat them all the time, to much iodine, thats what the doc said:)

ramssl

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 03:43:47 PM »

Hey ramssl;

Just because you are allergic to shellfish (clams, oysters) does not mean you are allergic to crustaceans (crabs, lobsters). Unless you have eaten crabs and got a bad reaction, don't give up yet!    As for your boat, please send me a line if you would consider taking passengers aboard; maybe we can get a couple nice people from this forum together, to share expenses on an all-day crabbing or fishing trip with you. Send me a line, thanks!

trust me i tried eating them hoping someday it will just go away..lol i dont break out or nothing just get really bad cramps in my stomach from too much iodine.

I would have no problem taking people with me, would be glad to. I did call for the fuel tank, seen the add in the fisherman...speedytanks.com in NJ said it would only be about $350 so thats what I'm going to do. the only bad part is its under my center counsel so i have to take the whole thing apart. But keep in touch I have no problem taking whoever wants to go with me. I can fit about 4 people comfortably on the boat.

Uploaded a pic of my boat when it was working:) keep that one in the garage also have a bass boat next to it but i dont want to ruin it with salt water. going to sell the bass boat on ebay probably next week. just got back from lake champlain in vermont, was there for 2 weeks and the boat ran great.

keep in touch
Joe
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 04:19:54 PM by ramssl » Logged

ramssl

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 02:07:32 PM »

Going to pick up my tank sometime next week, but looks like it wont do me any good for a while. I forgot you have to go get certified now to operate a boat in NJ, so now im a little bummed out. I seen a few courses set up next month in my area now i just have to find the time. This really stinks they should grandfather a lot of people,I been operating a boat for over 20 years now and im sure people on here been doing it a lot longer then that. Oh well got to do what you got to do i guess Wink

Wondering if people who rent a boat have to take this course?

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 02:14:47 PM »

If you rent a boat they give you a crash corse , from what i understand.  Wink

woodentoe

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 02:58:03 PM »

Ramssl:

As discovered in another post, I live in woodbridge.  If you ever have "extra crabs" to get rid of, I'll gladly take them..lol

Also, I'm game to go out crabbing any time.  I'd pay 1/2 of the fuel, bring 1/2 of the food and take 1/2 of the crabs..lol

Good luck out there!
shadow-13x

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2007, 12:58:34 PM »

If you rent a boat they give you a crash corse , from what i understand.  Wink

Will the crash course qualify if you take your own boat out a week later? Or do you still need to take the state class?
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2007, 09:41:24 PM »

No only rented boats.  Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: