October 22, 2019, 07:53:33 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Last Minute Assistance....Navesink trip on Saturday  (Read 1738 times)
woodentoe

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« on: July 26, 2007, 04:15:50 PM »

So, Saturday is my 31st birthday, and my father and I are going to go out crabbing first light.  We're going to oceanic to rent a boat and sit on the river for a few hours.

Here is my problem.  I need new traps. the trusted traps of my youth are rusted to [Sam Hill].  I bought traps form the guy at Oceanic, but dang if they weren't liliputian.  After the worst experience EVER in a bait shop in my life 10 minutes ago, I'm looking for advice.

Where in the areas surrounding Woodbridge (as far as Staten Island, Keyport, etc) can I buy good quality (an logically sized) box style crab traps.  Topless/not topless doesn't matter at this point.  I just don't want to buy [curd]!

Also, looking for a bait shop between my home (woodbridge) and Navesink to buy some fresh bunker for the trip.  THe Oceanic guy creamed us last year on bait (cause he can..you're already there, right?)

Please help. 
I'm running out of time!

-Toe
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 09:24:48 PM »

I have some rusty old traps that are over 25 years old , they STILL catch lots of crabs . as long as the doors opwn and close ok they will still catch crabs, good luck.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Mutzy crab man
Lifetime Member

9-1/8th 7-31-08 Wye

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 09:35:31 PM »

So, Saturday is my 31st birthday, and my father and I are going to go out crabbing first light.  We're going to oceanic to rent a boat and sit on the river for a few hours.

Here is my problem.  I need new traps. the trusted traps of my youth are rusted to [Sam Hill].  I bought traps form the guy at Oceanic, but dang if they weren't liliputian.  After the worst experience EVER in a bait shop in my life 10 minutes ago, I'm looking for advice.

Where in the areas surrounding Woodbridge (as far as Staten Island, Keyport, etc) can I buy good quality (an logically sized) box style crab traps.  Topless/not topless doesn't matter at this point.  I just don't want to buy [curd]!

Also, looking for a bait shop between my home (woodbridge) and Navesink to buy some fresh bunker for the trip.  THe Oceanic guy creamed us last year on bait (cause he can..you're already there, right?)

Please help. 
I'm running out of time!

-Toe
  You can always use chicken and hang out with drop lines.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 09:37:22 PM by Mutzy crab man » Logged

Outta the river an into my pot...FUHGEDDABOUDIT..
ramssl

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 10:03:41 PM »

Go to main st auto parts in woodbrige, they have some good traps there in all sizes plus they should still have bunker. if you buy a flat of bunker there its usually about $20 for around 30 bunker, not sure if he has any left. they do have traps though i just bough 4 there tuesday.
good luck on your trip

Joe

Life isn't  like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of jalapeņos.  What you do today, might burn your a$$ tomorrow."
woodentoe

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 12:47:43 PM »

Thanks for the advice.

I ended up buying some traps.  I'm not thrilled with them, and will likely buy topless traps from kcrabpots or similar, but for this trip, I needed them.

I'm not usually one to complain or speak ill of anyone...I'm a firm believer in "things come back to bite you"

However, Im' gonna break that self-imposed rule.

I live 30 seconds from Main Street Auto Parts (and hardware, guns, ammo, camping , bait shop), and immediately went there to ask about traps, bait, etc.

The gent behind the counter responded to any and all of my questions with one word answers.  Obviously, I was inturrupting a conversation he was having with another gentlemen.  Ths conversation was not business in nature...they were shooting the "poop".

After selecting an item, I went to the counter and placed it next to him waiting for acknowledgement.  After being ignored for about 10 minutes, I chose to leave my selection in front of him and walk out the door.  After that, I wasn't about to drop 100.00 on traps, line, tackle, bait, whatever.

The final nail for me was when I asked him what time they open up in the morning... He says...9 AM.  9 to 5

I called my dad and told him the story, and he says, "What are the running?  A bank!?"

In all my life of fishing (salt, fresh, crabbing), I've never been in a bait shop where no one will talk to you, no one seems to want to sell you anything, no one offers their opinions (god knows, all fishermen have opinions), and opens after I've been on the water for at least 3 hours.

Frankly, I'm bummed!  When we moved here, I was jazzed about the bait shop.

_Toe

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 12:51:36 PM »

Was this the owner that acted like this or an employee ?? if it was someone who worked there I would have a talk with the owner.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
ramssl

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 01:59:19 PM »

Thanks for the advice.

I ended up buying some traps.  I'm not thrilled with them, and will likely buy topless traps from kcrabpots or similar, but for this trip, I needed them.

I'm not usually one to complain or speak ill of anyone...I'm a firm believer in "things come back to bite you"

However, Im' gonna break that self-imposed rule.

I live 30 seconds from Main Street Auto Parts (and hardware, guns, ammo, camping , bait shop), and immediately went there to ask about traps, bait, etc.

The gent behind the counter responded to any and all of my questions with one word answers.  Obviously, I was inturrupting a conversation he was having with another gentlemen.  Ths conversation was not business in nature...they were shooting the "poop".

After selecting an item, I went to the counter and placed it next to him waiting for acknowledgement.  After being ignored for about 10 minutes, I chose to leave my selection in front of him and walk out the door.  After that, I wasn't about to drop 100.00 on traps, line, tackle, bait, whatever.

The final nail for me was when I asked him what time they open up in the morning... He says...9 AM.  9 to 5

I called my dad and told him the story, and he says, "What are the running?  A bank!?"

In all my life of fishing (salt, fresh, crabbing), I've never been in a bait shop where no one will talk to you, no one seems to want to sell you anything, no one offers their opinions (god knows, all fishermen have opinions), and opens after I've been on the water for at least 3 hours.

Frankly, I'm bummed!  When we moved here, I was jazzed about the bait shop.

_Toe

Sorry didn't mean to steer you in the wrong direction, it was just the closes spot near us for decent traps. I live in Carteret. But i do know what you mean about not wanting to help you there. I don't think its the guys fault behind the counter he doesn't seem to know much about anything to be running a sport shop, but you are right he will ignore you if hes "shooting the poop" with someone. One of the owners is rob who isn't much better with wanting to help you. I have a few stories about the place as well but like you said i don't want it to come back and bite me in the butt.

Good luck on your trip
Joe

Life isn't  like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of jalapeņos.  What you do today, might burn your a$$ tomorrow."

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home