February 22, 2018, 11:51:40 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Long Ranger" Crab Trips  (Read 1404 times)
Darrell
Supporting Member

Ignore
« on: August 06, 2004, 10:05:49 PM »

Grin ever rode the bay in search of crabs? My longest crab trip was a memorable one in 1998. Three of us who all went to the Wye on our first trip there and started "really catching crabs" as a result were out early at 5 AM heading for the Wye River from Northern Va. The crew was "Hillbilly" (he was from West Va. ) "Maryland Man" he works in Va..and lives in MD.. strange always reading about him in the papers..(a maryland man...) and myself "The Chesapeake Explorer' . As we got up about Rt 5 on the beltway I got the vright idea that crabbing might be good at Chesapeake beach MD. Only a 45 mile drive! So we sidelined off there. Launched the BW and set a 1000 ft trotline amid all the crab pots..yuk! Well about 7 am we figured that trotlining main bay waters with a zillion crab pots was no good.. so now what..too late for the WYE!..Well a perfect calm day.. it was so we set off to the Wye with all the gear across the bay. beautifull it was and as we came inside of Popular Island we could see all the way almost to the Nuc power plant down almost to Cove Point!. We headed up to St. Michaels and laid the line.. crabbed.. ate lunch drank a beer and caught a few crabs and gassed up at the town dock. Then on to the Wye. in Shaw Bay laid the line and caught a few more. Finally picking up the line we came out the Eastern Bay to Bloody point and crossed over with some chop now as the PM wind had come up to Deale Md and laid the line again and a few more crabs. Then back 10 miles to Chesapeake Beach near sunset.. The take..a half bushel which I gave my share to split betwen Md Man and Hillbilly. We were all happy as can be to be out there though and had a great time of it.  A once in lifetime type of day it was!
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 10:28:36 PM »

Nice story Darrell, just being out there makes your day. Cool Cool Cool

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
tweetybug

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 10:02:07 AM »

If that's a once in a lifetime day then I must be a cat.
(nine lives).  That was my story when I first came to Jersey.  Hence my quote "looking for crabs in all the wrong places" when I registered.  Quite honestly though I find the thrill is in the CHASE.  Glad to hear you had a nice day despite the barriers. Cheesy

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home