Blue Tongue

Started by Bdc, September 27, 2007, 09:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bdc

Blue Tongue is hitting New Jersey. Article on Nj Fish and Game site.
Canoers can't even go down the mullica river because of the stench.....Of course, only about a mile from where I hunt....is one of the areas diagnosed.
Little Orca

tattoo

not good.  :-[What can be done about it.?
A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.

Pinchy

Here's the link: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/news/2007/ehd_update.htm

I'd not heard about this disease until today. It's very scary to think something similar could be transmitted to humans from a midge or gnat bite. :-\
Please pack your trash out, pick up others', and leave your fishing spot cleaner than when you found it.

Big Rad

This is a natural occurence amongst deer.  You hope that there are an abundance of scavengers to clean up the carcasses.

Circle of life Baby Circle of life...........
I hear the sound of one hand clapping....you don't??

Bdc

You are correct in saying it is a natural occurence. Some deer usually contract the virus every year at this time. However, the  NJ Fish and Game Division wouldn't be talking about it or putting an article out about it if they did not see a possible bigger problem (even epic proportions) coming out of the several cases that have beeen reported.  This is the first time I'm hearing concern about it since the 1999 outbreak in Salem County.
That was devastating. Hope that's not where this is going :(
Little Orca

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

jrccrab

Quote from: Pinchy on September 27, 2007, 09:37:20 AM
Here's the link: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/news/2007/ehd_update.htm

I'd not heard about this disease until today. It's very scary to think something similar could be transmitted to humans from a midge or gnat bite. :-\
I'm with Pinchy, been deer hunting my whole life never heard of Blue Tongue ??? Not even the outbreak in 1999 ???

Big Rad

Quote from: jrccrab on September 27, 2007, 01:34:12 PM
I'm with Pinchy, been deer hunting my whole life never heard of Blue Tongue ??? Not even the outbreak in 1999 ???

It has also been called hemoragic fever.  We had it here in Maryland about  eight years ago.  Our deer population hasn't suffered one bit.  I killed a big doe that year and the DNR biologist told me that she was a survivor.  If you examine the hooves of a deer you have killed you can tell if they have had it before.  The hooves look like they are about to shed the outer layer. 

The Buckmaster Jackie Bushman did a show where there was an out break a couple of years ago.  It is nothing to be afraid of (don't we have enough to be afraid of already?).  Some deer get sick and recover and some get sick and die.

Pinchy

Quote from: Big Rad on September 27, 2007, 03:23:27 PM
I killed a big doe that year and the DNR biologist told me that she was a survivor.  If you examine the hooves of a deer you have killed you can tell if they have had it before. 

Did you eat the doe? ???
Please pack your trash out, pick up others', and leave your fishing spot cleaner than when you found it.

Big Rad

redneckshoreboy

There have been a few have it here on the shore, this year!

cullenw08

Quote from: Big Rad on September 27, 2007, 03:23:27 PM
I killed a big doe that year and the DNR biologist told me that she was a survivor.

you must not be a very good shot  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
A bad day crabbing is better than a good day working

Big Rad

Since reading is fundamental......What was the second word in my sentence?? :laugh: ;D ;D

I like to believe that I'm a pretty good shot.........

cullenw08

true, and i thought about that after posting. So my new idea is that the deer must have somehow been revived. CLEAR!
A bad day crabbing is better than a good day working