September 21, 2019, 11:47:16 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hurt myself at dock  (Read 2396 times)
bayoubilly

Ignore
« on: October 01, 2007, 12:39:30 PM »

as the title states im on the bench for awhile.  after taking the new boat out for a spin yesterday i dislocated my right shoulder.  when we came back to the dock i stepped over onto the dock to tie the boat off.  i planted my right foot securely and then for no reason lost my balance.  i managed to fall on my right elbow then wrist then somehow i slid halfway off the dock scraping and bruising the right side of my back.  luckily my brother heard my plea for help over the boat engine and pulled me to safety.  my right arm hurt so bad that it made me nauseated.  we went the emergency room and after several xrays they determined what i knew and feared  the large lump 4" belowmy shoulder was infact the top of my right humerus.  after giving me iv muscle relaxer they popped it back in.  that 3 1/2 hours was the worse pain i ever felt.  i wouldnt wish that on my worst enemy.  im not sure how long ill be down, but i do have a new appreciation  for my right arm.  life is definitely tough without it.  oyster season starts this saturday, white shrimp are starting to show up, and crabbing is pretty hot.  i cant do any of it.  im pretty down right now this is probably the dumbest thing ive ever done.  to make matters better i dont have insurance and since i work with my hands no income.  i was told that i have to wear this arm immobilizer for at least two weeks maybe more.  im a very active person so the healing process is going to aggravate me severely.  if ive learned anything yet its everyone should be very verycareful around the dock and please dont ever take your limbs or mobility for granted.   sorry for the long post, but thanks for reading it  --billy
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 01:03:16 PM »

hope things get better for you . take care of that arm , just take it easy for a while. GOD BLESS YOU. you were luckley it wasn'r more serious. keep your chin up.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
bayoubilly

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 01:15:47 PM »

thanks tat.  i thought about the worse scenarios too.  i dont think ill have any permenant damage.  just gotta take my time and not rush the healing process.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 01:28:59 PM »

Thats a good way to look at it, as each day goes by you will get better and better. just take it easy.  Wink

Potty Mouth
Lifetime Member

Location: Still, somewhere 'tween the steampot and the cooler

Whatever... SSDD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 02:09:16 PM »

Sorry to hear about this story, man.  I dislocated mine back as a kid skateboarding.  It's just a short time and you'll be doing what you need to do.  Hang in there. 

"Not all that can be counted, counts. And not all that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein

bayoubilly

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 03:54:37 PM »

hans potty mouth.  its only been one day of inactivity and im already goin nutz ! Smiley
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 06:02:36 PM »

Shocked not a good thing thats for sure...  Hang in there and don't rush things getting better.  Better to let it heal correctly than rush it and pay for it years down the road...  Undecided

Things can happen so fast on the water you just cant think it could happen..  I always tell newbies on the boat, "Most important thing is dont, don't ever, get your body parts between the pier and the boat... NO MATER WHAT!" A 4 ton boat plus people and supplies is gona win everytime. In a way you were lucky that you didnt fall in between.  Wink

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
bayoubilly

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 06:05:53 PM »

Thanks jack.  im just takin it easy.  be nice to be out on the water soon but im gonna go slow
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 07:50:49 PM »

OUCH!!!  Cry Cry Cry Shocked Shocked Roll Eyes Embarassed Tongue Tongue   I seriously feel for you Bro! Being hurt sucks, especially when you just got the boat to use, sucks I tell ya,really sucks. Don't worry, put a smile on, piddle around and you'll be back soon.......I hope  Wink

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 10:37:31 PM »

Sorry to hear of your problems. Take it easy and don't rush recovery; everything will work out.

I had a ruptured appendix and spent ten days in the hospital.
I just kind of turned off for a while...felt good but it was during the winter.

Retired in paradise!

bayoubilly

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 11:09:35 PM »

thanks guys  its been one looooooooooooong day not bring able to do much.  although the vicodin induced nap wasnt that bad Grin Grin
bayoubilly

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 05:27:29 PM »

up to day three of pain.   Sad  im starting to see first hand why jack nicholson lost his mind in the shining.  no boat and no activity make billy go crazy.  on the plus side the lortab naps do interupt the boredom.  at least i have a bipolar cat to keep me company.  she purring one minutte and attacking me the next.  anyway happy crabbing to all and be safe out there!
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 05:30:22 PM »

glad you a feeling a bit better. it will get better as each day goes by,  Wink

NJtomatoguy

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 06:45:14 PM »

If nothing else, your injury is a "COOL" one, not a " i tripped in the yard" or some other goofy accident.. Tough it out. I blew out my knee, and broke my jaw with the heel of my boot. COOL Story to tell to this day..

Whata you say fellas? Emergency Crab Drop In Order?
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 07:59:48 PM »

Things can happen so fast on the water you just cant think it could happen..  I always tell newbies on the boat, "Most important thing is dont, don't ever, get your body parts between the pier and the boat... NO MATER WHAT!" A 4 ton boat plus people and supplies is gona win everytime. In a way you were lucky that you didnt fall in between.  Wink

My father always told me:  "You will heal.  Fiberglass (or wood) will not. Grin"  I'm glad I never listened to him Grin

Jack is right... the boat will win! Shocked Grin

Git 'r dun!

Pinchy

Instructions: Hunt, fish, crab - rinse and repeat.

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 09:17:07 PM »

...the large lump 4" below my shoulder was in fact the top of my right humerus...this is probably the dumbest thing I've ever done...

Don't be so hard on yourself, that's why it's called an "accident." Worse things happen all the time, like the kid who drowns in a wading pool while his mother answers a phone call for five minutes, or the head-on into a semi while changing radio stations. When I was young my neighbor's son rode his Big Wheel into the street just as a car passed; if you think a squashed squirrel is upsetting... Cry  Go through your temporary pain period and you'll be none-the-worse.

Oh yeah, on a lighter note, a couple years ago I tripped over a dictionary on my bedroom floor, fell backwards and cracked three ribs on a chair. True story, and real dumb.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 09:24:27 PM by Pinchy » Logged

Please pack your trash out, pick up others', and leave your fishing spot cleaner than when you found it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home