December 10, 2019, 02:13:59 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion for Limits  (Read 5003 times)
mrscharms
Lifetime Member

I REALLY LOVE crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2007, 10:22:22 PM »

I agree with Joe..don't keep the females....they sell for so cheap in any market and I sure won't buy any crabs unless it is a really good deal. Would never buy any females.   Went out with my son fishing  last week in DE...a bushel of number 2 males was $89 at one place and $49 just 8 miles further down the road!  What gives here??  Took a look at both places, what they were offering for sale were just about the same.  I really feel bad for the waterpeople.  This is their livlihood (SP)...and I can't imagine what they are going through right now. 

Janice
anchor
Lifetime Member

stop being a lurker and make a donation

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2007, 10:55:02 PM »

you say dont keep the females, how can anyone make a derogitory comment like that. like was said before its like not having a doe hunting  season, sooner or later you will be overrun with females and the jimmy population will be depleated. so to make a comment like that is crazy, besides if the commericals didnt harvest the females they probably would have a much harder time justifying there income let alone making a living. i ran with scott (rivercrab) this past summer and ill tell all of you unless you work as a waterman (full time) you have no idea. our catch for the day vs gas in the boat and his time and energy made about $80.00 profit for the day and if it wasnt for the females that day it would have been a total bust. so if the comm. dont take the females they might as well stop crabbing for a living............jmho
anchor
Lifetime Member

stop being a lurker and make a donation

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2007, 10:57:30 PM »

oh and by the way, yes i do think that rec. crabbers should have to report there catches daily. it's only fair
Mayport crabber

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2007, 12:52:51 PM »

I have read everyones comments on this thread and I feel compelled to comment.  First I must say that I am a commercial fisherman, by that I mean that I catch Roe Mullet, Sheepshead, Whiting, Pompano,  Spanish Mackerel, and Blue Crabs, with Blue Crabs being my primary source of income.  I do not have a job nor do I want one.
     First, I don't mean to be rude but, Fisheyed if you think your idea of a co.op. is such a good one then whats holding you back. Buy a wholesale dealers license tomorrow and start buying and selling crabs for whatever price your little heart desires.  I hope my sarcasm didn't elude you but there isn't a smiley face for it.  Also, don't worry about me maintaining how much I make until I start paying your bills until then stay out of my wallet.
     Second,  Crabbyd the reason I mentioned a wholesale dealers license is because I have had one for the last 5 years. It allowed me to cut out the middle man and sell directly to the retailers.  It's more work but the payoff is worth it.
     Lastly, Joe crabber this argument about keeping females is tired and senseless.  I have to ask do you only keep male fish.  I think your time would be better spent researching nitrogen rich rain water runoff from golf courses and bags of fertilizer from W Mart ending up in our estuaries.  I think that may have a detrimental effect on crabs.
     I just thought of the answer.  You and and Fisheyed can go into business together and buy only males.  We commercial crabbers would through back all the females because we wouldn't have a sale for them.  You two can thank me for this sound business advise after you make your first million.
     I think we really accomplished something today, we saved my industry.  Thank You.  You guys should  post your occupations some time soon so we can get together and try to maintain what you make.  The point I'm trying to make here is we as commercial fisherman don't fear change.  We fear uninformed people trying to pass laws about an industry they know nothing about. 
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 beautiful girls.........and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2007, 01:15:19 PM »

I have read everyones comments on this thread and I feel compelled to comment.  First I must say that I am a commercial fisherman, by that I mean that I catch Roe Mullet, Sheepshead, Whiting, Pompano,  Spanish Mackerel, and Blue Crabs, with Blue Crabs being my primary source of income.  I do not have a job nor do I want one.
     First, I don't mean to be rude but, Fisheyed if you think your idea of a co.op. is such a good one then whats holding you back. Buy a wholesale dealers license tomorrow and start buying and selling crabs for whatever price your little heart desires.  I hope my sarcasm didn't elude you but there isn't a smiley face for it.  Also, don't worry about me maintaining how much I make until I start paying your bills until then stay out of my wallet.
     Second,  Crabbyd the reason I mentioned a wholesale dealers license is because I have had one for the last 5 years. It allowed me to cut out the middle man and sell directly to the retailers.  It's more work but the payoff is worth it.
     Lastly, Joe crabber this argument about keeping females is tired and senseless.  I have to ask do you only keep male fish.  I think your time would be better spent researching nitrogen rich rain water runoff from golf courses and bags of fertilizer from W Mart ending up in our estuaries.  I think that may have a detrimental effect on crabs.
     I just thought of the answer.  You and and Fisheyed can go into business together and buy only males.  We commercial crabbers would through back all the females because we wouldn't have a sale for them.  You two can thank me for this sound business advise after you make your first million.
     I think we really accomplished something today, we saved my industry.  Thank You.  You guys should  post your occupations some time soon so we can get together and try to maintain what you make.  The point I'm trying to make here is we as commercial fisherman don't fear change.  We fear uninformed people trying to pass laws about an industry they know nothing about. 

Mayport Crabber

As far as I know, there isn't a wholesale dealers license.  I could be wrong.  My comm lic allows me to sell directly the public or to restaurants etc.  I personally don't take the time to sell to restaurants etc.  My catch usually goes to the public because I can make better money off of what I sell.  I fortunately have a reasonable customer base that matches my catch. 

I do not do this full time and consider it nothing more then a way to supplement my expenses for something I enjoy doing.  This makes a big difference in your view of your daily/weekly operations Wink

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

antman

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2007, 01:44:16 PM »

you say dont keep the females,....  besides if the commericals didnt harvest the females they probably would have a much harder time justifying there income let alone making a living. i ran with scott (rivercrab) this past summer and ill tell all of you unless you work as a waterman (full time) you have no idea. our catch for the day vs gas in the boat and his time and energy made about $80.00 profit for the day and if it wasnt for the females that day it would have been a total bust. so if the comm. dont take the females they might as well stop crabbing for a living............jmho

First thing you said that caught my eye is SUMMER....HELLO....they ALL pay $$$ in the SUMMER Roll Eyes

Sell that same bushel when the females are running in the fall and you MIGHT get $20 Cry...........

last year guys found out that I had a buyer paying $15 a bushel (I wouldn't keep em')............and they got mad Angry.......they were getting $7-$10 a bushel Shocked

BAN FEMALES!!! in MD and VA and NC!

Tony
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2007, 04:43:43 PM »

BAN FEMALES!!! in MD and VA and NC!

Tony
From a supplier point of view....don't go there!!! Angry If ya want to ban something and I have said this bunches of times. First ban all trawling and dredging of crabs(especially fall/winter) Second Ban keeping female sponge crabs only(nationwide) and protect those known areas of spawning. If you guys "really" like the taste of Vietnamese/Philippine etc crab meat keep running your mouths, you'll surely end a American tradition. Remember this "Commercial Fishermen Feed the World"  -OR- "Protect your local fisherman, they're a dying breed"!

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
joecrabbr

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2007, 05:11:04 PM »

From a supplier point of view....don't go there!!! Angry If ya want to ban something and I have said this bunches of times. First ban all trawling and dredging of crabs(especially fall/winter) Second Ban keeping female sponge crabs only(nationwide) and protect those known areas of spawning. If you guys "really" like the taste of Vietnamese/Philippine etc crab meat keep running your mouths, you'll surely end a American tradition. Remember this "Commercial Fishermen Feed the World"  -OR- "Protect your local fisherman, they're a dying breed"
!hold on!! from a supplier point of view the only thing you care about selling females is for the money!!! how bout all the [dang] crabs that never have the chance to spawn again? im sure the 20$ a bushels worth it... yeah right. i guess the 20$ they make, is worth slimming the population . This time of year in southern maryland the commercials are lined up , filling their boats with females. you also say ban keeping sponge crabs... [dang] right, you ever go out an see a couple hundred orange sponges floating in the bay, i wonder who cut those off!!! im all for the commercials, they need to survive as well as anybody else
you say dont keep the females, how can anyone make a derogitory comment like that. like was said before its like not having a doe hunting  season, sooner or later you will be overrun with females and the jimmy population will be depleated. so to make a comment like that is crazy,
what the [Sam Hill] kinda comment is that? what is there gonna be an underwater war male vs female...lol
[/quote]
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 05:13:34 PM by joecrabbr » Logged
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2007, 05:15:23 PM »

Sorry, I don't understand where you were/are going with the statement Huh Smiley

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
wildturkey101
Lifetime Member

My Crabbing Buddies

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2007, 07:04:17 PM »

HF, this would be a good start!
The dredging of crabs in the winter is just plain wrong, it's like shooting a bear in hibernation. Those crabs dig in for a reason and would be better off left alone, they can't be that tasty either.

There will eventually be some type of limits on Blue Crab, just like all the other protected fish and wildlife that were showing signs of depletion. Creel limits, size limits, and off limit schedules have helped other species make comebacks. We may not have any choices on male, female, size or how many crabs we can take some day. Sad

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2007, 07:50:15 PM »

I think I will dig a large pond in my backyard, or ask the catfish farmer across the street to convert to crab farming. With that, we will corner the market of the only blue crabs in America, and have people offering, NOPE that won't work either, because no one is willing to actively pay $50 to 80 per dozen for crabs(year round) Angry Let's face it end if we don't lobby to put a end to the trawling/dredging and get support for re-planting of grasses etc. Speaking of grasses, there is a actually living grass(mammal) that has taken over our(NC) coastal waters. I will get the news thing.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 07:54:36 PM by horsefly » Logged

fisheyed

It gets in the blood

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »

Well Mayport crabber I feel as if your comments are completely unfounded and in poor taste.  I am certainly not trying to get in your pocket, nor am I trying to get in this business  ( Very difficult to find a niche) I was merely offering a way to attempt to protect a certain number of crabs  while maintaining a good price for the crabber, work smarter not harder.  It seems as if co- op's have been attempted and have failed in the past for various reasons.  As far as I can tell you wish for status quo.  Many of us believe this is a short sighted delusional selfish point of view.  I am all for reporting rec catch as this would give a much better view of the situation and will provide needed info regarding where to make changes.  This however would be a very tough thing to enforce.  I recommend a postage paid post card with a questionnaire on the back regarding estimated times spent crabbing and bu per trip and total numbers if the card is not returned then either a penalty or no license next year.  I would like to work toward a healthy population to me this means we need more numbers period not just males or females.  Procrabber an old poster on here has done a lot of reserch on crabs and once told me that if the female population is too high compared to the male population then the male will not deposit a full amount into each femals so the female is not able to produce her maximum number of sponges.  So optimally we would protect both.
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2007, 08:26:15 PM »

You made a good point about the Rec's keeping a record of some type. Down here, there is surveyors that hang out at the boat ramps and count the fish and crabs and types. Granted, most down here on probably caught off a pier etc. The DMF here says that the Rec catch is 1% of the commercial catch state wide. It is a very small number, compared to the amount we catch. Price wise, it is good, has been for a bit. Number wise shows a steady decline since 2004 which puts us(NC) in the concern level. The decline has to be for 5 consistant years before they claim it (crab fishery) depleted. I am not saying it is over fished, it's virtually impossible to catch them all. I mark the decline to extremely high salinity/temps for long period of time. Our water temps got as high as 91 in some places, with salinity levels around 33 pm vs. the normal of 20. I know a bounced around on this subject, I am multitasking at the moment Cheesy But you guys get the point. Keeping the females, keeps the rest of the population in check, despite the low basket value to the crabber, price will go back up as it always does.......next spring.

wildturkey101
Lifetime Member

My Crabbing Buddies

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2007, 08:34:02 PM »

Very interesting info about Md blue crabs, good reading for everyone.

http://www.chesapeakebay.net/info/blue_crab.cfm
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2007, 09:26:47 PM »

good ino , thanks.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab

CHIEF

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2007, 08:09:36 PM »

I got him sorry everyone
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2007, 08:11:18 PM »

Thanks Chief, wrong place to take a comment like that.

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2007, 08:11:44 PM »

Thanks buddy.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2007, 08:12:02 PM »