May 19, 2022, 08:12:49 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beautiful Blue Crabs on Georgia's Coast  (Read 13583 times)
coastman

Ignore
« on: October 23, 2007, 08:38:26 AM »

The crabs this past weekend were fat and sassy. I steamed a bushel of Georgia Blue Crabs and picked out 6 quarts of crab meat. Looks like crab stew, crab cakes, and crab quiche on the menue this winter. Cool
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 11:14:24 AM »

6 qts out of a bushel?Huh  That would be 12lbs of crabmeat. Average is 10% yield on those crabs which would give 4 lbs on a 40 lb bushel. I have never ever seen 30% yield in all of my crab processing days Grin Please go back and check the measuring device you used  IMHO Grin Wink Wink

BTW, enjoy the crabmeat for allof those tasty items this winter yummo'  Grin
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 11:17:40 AM by horsefly » Logged

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
coastman

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 02:55:38 PM »

Well, you never have picked out Georgia Blue Crabs. I pick out the crab meat. Nothing is wasted. I even get the meat from the legs. This time of year Georgia Blue Crabs are very large and full. Y'all call the mumbos up there. Here these are just regular blue crabs. Yes, I will do another bushel before Thanksgiving. Cool
tattoo
In Memoriam 09/2021
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 03:37:03 PM »

like to see some pictures of them babbies.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 07:12:41 PM »

Picked a bushel of #1's from R&R Seafood last week, still didn't come close to 6 qts. Even the ladies in the picking house have been picking SC/Ga males for the past month didn't yield that much. I am not gonna make this a shouting match, but please understand, I live, breath and work around crabs eveyday. That includes buying and re-selling crabs from SC/Ga (about 300 bu per week,plus our local guys) I just got eating boiled shrimp and handmade crabcakes from that meat. You do it your way, I'll do it mine Grin Grin Grin

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!

madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 07:21:38 PM »

Well, you never have picked out Georgia Blue Crabs. I pick out the crab meat. Nothing is wasted. I even get the meat from the legs. This time of year Georgia Blue Crabs are very large and full. Y'all call the mumbos up there. Here these are just regular blue crabs. Yes, I will do another bushel before Thanksgiving. Cool
Put some pictures on here gotta see these crabs.My brother lives in G.A. in Martin and he has a hard time getting crabs.
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 08:56:33 PM »

6 qts out of a bushel?Huh  That would be 12lbs of crabmeat. Average is 10% yield on those crabs which would give 4 lbs on a 40 lb bushel. I have never ever seen 30% yield in all of my crab processing days Grin Please go back and check the measuring device you used  IMHO Grin Wink Wink

BTW, enjoy the crabmeat for allof those tasty items this winter yummo'  Grin

Brian, Don't look at it as 6 quarts, look at it as 1.5 gallons...... Grin Grin Grin Grin
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 09:13:09 PM »

Brian, Don't look at it as 6 quarts, look at it as 1.5 gallons...... Grin Grin Grin Grin
I hadn't thought of it that way Gene Tongue Still seems to be wee bit much.

tattoo
In Memoriam 09/2021
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 09:23:00 PM »

that could be right i picked a bushel last week and it seemed to be about that amount.  Wink
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 12:18:08 AM by tattoo » Logged

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 09:26:44 PM »

that could be right i picked a bushel last week and it seemed to be about hat amount.  Wink
1.5 gallons Rich? Hey guys we ain't picking Alaskan King crab here. Roll Eyes Shocked Grin laugh laugh

madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 09:27:14 PM »

I must suck as a crab picker I get about 2 pounds of meat counting claws in  a half bushel.I usually only buy or catch that many because that is all I need.
tattoo
In Memoriam 09/2021
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 09:34:31 PM »

don't know didn't have it in a gal. jug , but the bowl was a big one.  Wink

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 09:57:34 PM »

Reminds when I used to work at the picking house. Those women would go thru some crabs in one day. Some of the top pickers would make about $80-90 per day picking virtually bone free product. Me I would start the day helping shovel crabs unto the table for them, run a backing machine until about 11:30 take early lunch (this was on days I didn't crab with the family) after lunch meant prepping the boiler, cleaning those 200lb stainless cooking baskets. Then about 1 to 2pm crab trucks would roll in some with 1000lbs others with 20,000 dumped, weighed and cooked all thru the night, into wee hours of the morn (some until the 1st shift women came in) went home slept 3 to 4 hours to do it again, granted all in my younger days.

coastman

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 11:06:52 AM »

The crabmeat is in the freezer and the shells have been recycled in the ocean. I have 6 quarts of crabmeat to enjoy. Sorry that your crabs don't turn out like Georgia crabs.
mreinke

New to Crabbing !

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 06:17:21 PM »

We lost the best one down here yesterday !!!!!!!!! Shocked Grin

Mike

tattoo
In Memoriam 09/2021
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 02:20:23 PM »

thats a big one.  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Oscar D

Oh those Wildwood days!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 05:33:17 PM »

That does sound like a lot of meat, but ...

I picked up a doz this weekend ($19) they weren't the Jumbos, and I picked them for Crab Cakes, I got about 24 oz including the claws.  I know I got over 16 oz of body meat easy because when I started to make the cakes I still had some body meat and I didn't even start with the claw meat.
tattoo
In Memoriam 09/2021
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 05:37:42 PM »

nice.  Wink what time do we eat.  laugh laugh laugh

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 09:47:56 PM »

That does sound like a lot of meat, but ...

I picked up a doz this weekend ($19) they weren't the Jumbos, and I picked them for Crab Cakes, I got about 24 oz including the claws.  I know I got over 16 oz of body meat easy because when I started to make the cakes I still had some body meat and I didn't even start with the claw meat.
That's about right lb meat to crab ratio. (if ya add the claws to it)= 10% yield. 
You don't use the claws in your cakes? I know, I know, it's dark meat and only the lump should go into a cake. But, I do use it from time to time like that, makes great deviled crabs though. If the claws are large, crack them but leave one pincher attached. You use that one pincher as a handle for cocktail claws. Dip into your favorite butter sauce. I prefer slightly browned butter with garlic (don't over brown the garlic, it gets bitter)Any other recipes you wanna share let me know.

tattoo
In Memoriam 09/2021
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 09:57:30 PM »

boy that  sure sounds good to me.  Wink

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: