May 19, 2022, 07:26:22 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beautiful Blue Crabs on Georgia's Coast  (Read 13581 times)
Oscar D

Oh those Wildwood days!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2007, 06:42:44 PM »

You don't use the claws in your cakes? I know, I know, it's dark meat and only the lump should go into a cake

I never had before, but I read somehwere else on this board that someone only used claw meat in cakes, soooo ....

They weren't bad and I didn't notice a darker color.
I make cakes at least 3 times every 2 months, sometimes 3 times a month.  I (we) love them, but i like to try new things.  I was thinking about using the mustard and sghets from the crab, but I'm still hesitant.  It's gotta add some flavor.

This past time I made them a day ahead of time instead of same day, I fried them the next day.  I also made them the size and flat shape of hamburgers which I think is the shape they're supposed to be (but don't really know).

I fry (saute, same diff) in mostly olive oil with some butter.  The other thing I do is boil corn in the same liquid I steam the crabs in (beer, vinegar, bag of spice, whatever), then sprinkle just a tad of old bay on the corn before buttering it.

Dang.  I'm hungry.
madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2007, 07:19:46 PM »

I use the stuff that is in the corners of a nice packed crab,and the mustard it adds flavor,unfortunately it also adds cholesterol and any nasty stuff that was in the water the crab came from.I read that the mustard is actually the fat of a crab and it also contains most of the impurities from the water the crab was living in.Needless to say I don't add nearly as much as I used to before I read that. Undecided
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2007, 09:00:58 PM »

OscarD, when making those crabcakes, do you use egg and mayo as the binder? Just wondering because you said you let it sit until next day. I (personaly) use both egg/mayo but only only the cakes to set up (on a rack) to settle in the fridge for about 1 to 3 most hours. The resting period helps keep the cakes together as you know from the overnight rest. Least amount of ingredients in the cake is better. You wanna be able to taste crabmeat, not fillers. Right? Hey speaking of corn on the cob BTW we cook with the crabs if I have more than a bu I use second cookpot and add the corn to it. BUT, here's something to try if  ya like corn-on the-cob. Boil shucked ears for about 45 minutes with some salt and sugar ( 2 tbs salt 1/2 tsp of sugar) to 12/14 ears. When done and piping hot smear mayo on, hot sauce (I use a Mexican kind, from MX) them splash a lime them sprinkle with Mexican crumble cheese (like Parmasean) then eat. I have some Mexican friends that taught me how to do that. They say on the corners down there they sell stuff like that. BTW, if you do use the mustard from the crabs, taste test it first, sometimes they might be bitter. NEVER USE GREEN GUT CRAB MUSTARD!!!!

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2007, 09:13:21 PM »

Oscars, when making those crabcakes, do you use egg and mayo as the binder? Just wondering because you said you let it sit until next day. I (personally) use both egg/mayo but only only the cakes to set up (on a rack) to settle in the fridge for about 1 to 3 most hours. The resting period helps keep the cakes together as you know from the overnight rest. Least amount of ingredients in the cake is better. You wanna be able to taste crabmeat, not fillers. Right? Hey speaking of corn on the cob BTW we cook with the crabs if I have more than a bu I use second cookpot and add the corn to it. BUT, here's something to try if  ya like Cointon throb. Boil shucked ears for about 45 minutes with some salt and sugar ( 2 tbs salt 1/2 tsp of sugar) to 12/14 ears. When done and piping hot smear mayo on, hot sauce (I use a Mexican kind, from MX) them splash a lime them sprinkle with Mexican crumble cheese (like Parmesan) then eat. I have some Mexican friends that taught me how to do that. They say on the corners down there they sell stuff like that. BTW, if you do use the mustard from the crabs, taste test it first, sometimes they might be bitter. NEVER USE GREEN GUT CRAB MUSTARD!!!!
Only yellow mustard,Parmesan is an Italian cheese a cheaper substitute is Lu chitale
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2007, 09:24:24 PM »

Only yellow mustard,Parmesan is an Italian cheese a cheaper substitute is Lu chitale
What I meant was like the texture of the Parmesan.

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home