May 19, 2022, 08:02:50 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Man, am I glad I found this forum!  (Read 29020 times)
Wannagofishin

Wannagofishin? Yeah, I wannagofishin.

Ignore
« on: December 06, 2007, 03:41:15 PM »

I moved here a year ago from the Eastern Shore of Maryland. (To Port Orange) Well, I finally got a nice little boat set up for bass fishing mostly, but it's also a good size for crabbing. Up home I used to run trotline and am trying to get one set up here. My problem is, I can't find anyone that sells bull lip down here.

Does anyone here know where I can buy bull lip locally? I called a couple of meat packers and they don't sell it except to recyclers. I think they believe they're not allowed to sell it to me but according to a packer in Maryland, they can because it's edible. (They're not allowed to sell offal to the public. Anyone know a place down here that will sell it?

Thanks,

Dan
tattoo
In Memoriam 09/2021
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 03:43:47 PM »

don't know. but how about chicken necks?" good luck and WELCOME aboard. Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 03:47:50 PM »

First, WELCOME TO THE SITE!!!!
Search around some more about the bull lips, maybe you can talk to the meat guy at the Publix or Piggly Wiggly. If worse comes to worse, and ya need to go, just use chicken necks! They're cheap too! Good luck on the bait finding adventure Grin Keep us informed...!

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
Wannagofishin

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 04:01:25 PM »

I don't think necks would hold up very well on a trotline or last as long between outings. I've used eel in the past but since people started eating it the cost has gone up. Not sure if eel is available for catching down here.

Bull lip is tough and according to 9 out of 10 crabs, tasty too!

Dan
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 04:06:16 PM »

I don't think it's too widely used in that area. Everyone just uses necks. Every Walmart has them in bait section.  The crabs are getting bigger now and starting to run. I won't be back down till end of February and will check them out then. Good luck!

There is another member here from Post Orange...mreinke...pm him.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 04:13:47 PM by SHELLFISH » Logged

Retired in paradise!

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 04:10:25 PM »

welcome aboard Dan... 

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
mreinke

New to Crabbing !

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 05:52:06 PM »

Hi Dan, WELCOME ABOARD!!!!  I haven't seen any bull lips around here, Ive been using chicken necks.
Shellfish and I got together when he came down , had a great time !!!  Its always nice to make a new friend.I live in Port Orange also, about 5 min. from the Dunlawton bridge. What peaked my attention was you mentioning the bass fishing tho. I have a Bay liner set up for bass fishing. I'm always looking forward to meeting new people and making new friends. Bass and crappie (specks) should be picking up here around January. Maybe we can get together sometime. 
Mike

Mike
Wannagofishin

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 08:54:16 PM »

Mike,

Sounds good on the fishing. I've tried a few places on the St. Johns this summer but got skunked. Have been meaning to get back over there but haven't had a chance and now my new Motorguide wireless digital stopped working - won't steer. It's under warranty though and am having it fixed in a couple of days.

Shellfish - I went to Walmart here in Port Orange and the guy in sporting goods was clueless - "No, we don't have chicken necks." But I found them in the bait freezer. Only problem is, they want $2.87 a pound! (plus tax) No thanks! I got a line on some bull lips in central Florida in 60 pound boxes for $1.09 a pound.

I bought 3 pots and floats from Boater's World and tried them this past Sunday in the Halifax but the current was so strong, it was taking them up the river. Need less current or more weight. I'm gonna scope out Rose Bay tomorrow or Friday to see what it's like.

If you guys send me a PM, I'll get you my phone number and we can get together to do some fishing and crabbing. Oh yeah, and some shrimping too.

Dan
crabnbob

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 06:03:10 AM »

Welcome aboard Dan,,,, I clearly remember how excited I was the day I stumbled upon this forum, the wife said I acted like I found my long lost twin ( did'nt know I had one  Shocked). Grin It's nice to find folks with the same degree of passion for similar subjects.   Now I know what I can do over the winter, find that lose twin  laugh.  Bob
anchor
Lifetime Member

stop being a lurker and make a donation

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 10:14:05 PM »

dan, try putting some 5/8" rebar on the bottom outside edge of your pots , it should be plenty enough weight. i used to do that with my pots, you can use wire ties(chicken bands) or mechanics wire....good luck

Wannagofishin

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 10:35:41 PM »

anchor,

That's what I figured, some rebar on the bottom - just haven't gotten it yet. Gonna try Rose Bay this weekend.

BTW I see you're in Lewes, DE. Spent some time there off and on. My uncle had a service station on Savannah Rd. just east of the bridge. This was way back in the late seventies. I've got a photo on my web site of me fly fishing the bay just off the ferry terminal October of last year. (I won a half day guided trip at the local fly shop in Salisbury.) And I used to drink at a small bar down by the parking lot years ago. Not sure if it's even there now.

Dan
anchor
Lifetime Member

stop being a lurker and make a donation

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 05:17:48 AM »

if your talking about gilligans bar, it is still there, was your uncles service station right after the railroad tracks on savahanna rd? gilligans is a little hole in the wall down by the water front right next to the lewes ramp parkinglot, it sits at the bottom of the hill.
Wannagofishin

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 07:29:29 AM »

I had to look on my MS Streets and Trips, it's been so long, but I think it was right around the Lemon Tree. It was torn down long ago and the whole area built up. It's amazing what thirty years will do. laugh

Dan
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 11:02:22 PM »

I will hook up with you guys when I am down next the end of February and early March!
The shrimp should be running strong then too! I have got to try that; got my net waiting in the closet!
I also just heard that the crabs are running good in the Banana River off the 520 bridge down south of us.

Hope to see ya both in 11 weeks!

Retired in paradise!
mreinke

New to Crabbing !

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 11:03:11 AM »

I will be looking forward to it Shell. We had bad storms here last nite, you know the usual for Dec. here.
Temps are dropping, windy, and lots of rain and high winds. We have a bad red tide here,it has killed 6 dolphins,some other fish and birds. I have a bad upper resp. infection from it. YUK !!!!
Mike

Mike

SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 03:25:43 PM »

I hear everyone complaining of the red tide from that way. They say it's real bad in NSB right now and goes down to Oak Hill! Upper respiratory problems galore. Not good. The temp is supposed to drop there today and get down to the 50's tonight with wind? Hunker down and maybe it will get the shrimp running for you all. They haven't started running in any real numbers yet. The cooler temps with wind hopefully will push out the red tide. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Retired in paradise!
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2007, 12:39:10 AM »

I hear everyone complaining of the red tide from that way. They say it's real bad in NSB right now and goes down to Oak Hill! Upper respiratory problems galore. Not good. The temp is supposed to drop there today and get down to the 50's tonight with wind? Hunker down and maybe it will get the shrimp running for you all. They haven't started running in any real numbers yet. The cooler temps with wind hopefully will push out the red tide. Let's keep our fingers crossed!
My Dad went to see a missile launch today then venture to the beach, where ever the stopped, he said he could feel it in his chest, and others complained of the same thing. He said scientist even warned folks that if it kills dolphins, you shouldn't be swimming. We had the same thing happen years back, killed about every oyster, got some fish, the ones that weren't smart to swim. I know a guy who can't crab or fish because, now the water (sound water) will cause red welts, and painful itching burning on skin. All started back during the red tide. All I can say ShellFish and others, hope and pray you get some rain, strong winds from the N or NW to blow this back out and or disperse it. Maybe you guys can tell me....is legal to use bait sticks for cast net shrimping down there?

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2007, 04:26:22 PM »

I recently heard that six dolphin have died due to red tide.

I believe it is legal to bait for shrimp but no one I know does it. They all just use 50 + 60 inch shrimp (dip) nets.  Some use cast nest as well especially on the St. Johns River.

Retired in paradise!
crabbingsc

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 11:18:39 PM »

me too...
there's a few guys that like to shoot a lot of negativity. but besides that, this is a wonderful site. i plan on being a supporting member soon... Grin
tattoo
In Memoriam 09/2021
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 11:23:51 PM »

thumbsup

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: