May 19, 2022, 07:17:55 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Man, am I glad I found this forum!  (Read 29019 times)
CrabbyLAD
Lifetime Member

"Slow Poke"

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2008, 12:41:02 PM »

Welcome aboard Dan !!!
Up here in the Mid-Atlantic area we love to hear about
crab'n in the south... So please keep us posted...

also I'd love to see some photos of the crabs...

-Crabbylad   bandana

Get Your Crab-on!
Wannagofishin

Wannagofishin? Yeah, I wannagofishin.

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2008, 12:58:19 PM »

If I can get out, I'd love to share some photos of the crabs I caught. BUT. . . right now my engine is giving me fits. It runs like a top at low to mid range speeds but at WOT, it stalls, like it's starving for gas but it's got plenty. I'm thinking it might be electrical (Spark advance or something of that nature.) I've checked all that I can and I've already done a lot of work to it. New plugs, switchbox, fuel pump, water pump impeller and housing, fuel lines, tanks, and water separating filter. The carb's been rebuilt, and it has 135psi compression in both cylinders. It was running fine until the last time I took it out.

I'll get it right and then I'll get the crabs laugh

Dan

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2008, 01:11:15 PM »

If I can get out, I'd love to share some photos of the crabs I caught. BUT. . . right now my engine is giving me fits. It runs like a top at low to mid range speeds but at WOT, it stalls, like it's starving for gas but it's got plenty. I'm thinking it might be electrical (Spark advance or something of that nature.) I've checked all that I can and I've already done a lot of work to it. New plugs, switchbox, fuel pump, water pump impeller and housing, fuel lines, tanks, and water separating filter. The carb's been rebuilt, and it has 135psi compression in both cylinders. It was running fine until the last time I took it out.

I'll get it right and then I'll get the crabs laugh

Dan

What engine you got? 

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
Wannagofishin

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2008, 01:13:53 PM »

Guess I should have mentioned it is a 1982 40 HP Merc.

Dan

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2008, 01:22:19 PM »

Does it always fail?  Or only when it gets hot?

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

Wannagofishin

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2008, 01:39:42 PM »

Does it always fail?  Or only when it gets hot?

I don't know that it gets hot - don't have a temp gauge. But I always let it idle a bit before leaving the ramp and then through a no-wake zone. Once out of the NWZ, I give it the gas and for a few moments it runs fine, then hesitates, like I said, like it's starving for gas. I ease back on the throttle and it runs OK - fairly smooth. The pee water is hot, but no so hot I can't hold my hand under it.

Dan
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2008, 02:27:02 PM »

ok, i would say that it is failing all the time.  Not just after its been run along time and is completely heated up.

Can u give us some idea of rpm's when it fails.  Like it runs 1/2 throttle all day long but fails at 3/4 throttle all the time.  Or it runs ok at just above idle while going thru the nwz but fails as soon as the throttle is above that.  Etc.  I am trying to figure out where in the power curve it is failing and does it always fail the same.  Cool

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2008, 02:32:59 PM »

Maybe old fuel line caving in shutting off fuel flow at higher rpm??? Bad cylinder compression? Trash in water pump valley or line? Does it shut off? Oh speaking of fuel, maybe trash or water(moisture) in carbs/floats and needles?Huh

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
Wannagofishin

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2008, 02:39:02 PM »

Yeah, all the time. Not sure of the RPM's. The tach I have leaves a lot to be desired. It's at WOT. Cruises for a minute then almost dies - it might die if I didn't throttle back, not sure.

If I had the money, I'd hang a 50-60 HP on her. I run a heavy boat. Lots of tackle, rods, cooler, TM, two fishing seats, two tanks, two batteries, heavy deck and floor. Yup, I need more power!

Dan
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2008, 02:41:15 PM »

It's at WOT. Cruises for a minute then almost dies - it might die if I didn't throttle back, not sure.

Sounds like fuel to me.  Did you replace the primer bulb when you replaced the tank and lines?

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2008, 02:42:09 PM »

next time it fails try pumping the prime to see if it catches back up..

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2008, 02:43:02 PM »

was the gasline replaced AFTER the crabs were rebuilt?

Wannagofishin

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2008, 02:46:07 PM »

Maybe old fuel line caving in shutting off fuel flow at higher rpm??? Bad cylinder compression? Trash in water pump valley or line? Does it shut off? Oh speaking of fuel, maybe trash or water(moisture) in carbs/floats and needles?Huh

It's all new. (Tanks, bulb, and line from tank to carb) Plus, I have a water separating fuel filter and the carb I just rebuilt. I'm not a master mechanic, but I've been working on engines (four stroke) since I was a pup. I was sop foreman at a Triumph dealership, and I've built and rebuilt God only knows how many bikes. All four stroke - not too much experience with two strokes.

Dan
Wannagofishin

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2008, 02:47:27 PM »

next time it fails try pumping the prime to see if it catches back up..

Did that. No difference. I watched the filter bowl on the engine while a buddy drove. No loss of fuel.

Dan
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2008, 02:47:56 PM »

Good point and stored over time with Stabil-gas or other too. Maybe and he has a water leak....in the hull so with the weight of the boat and gear and then the water, it bogs down?Huh I still think it's fuel related if not a cylinder or two that is weak IMHO, but...............JACK, is the small engine pro on here Grin

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2008, 02:49:05 PM »

Did that. No difference. I watched the filter bowl on the engine while a buddy drove. No loss of fuel.
Dan
How about bubbles???

Wannagofishin

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2008, 02:49:42 PM »

Same time. I'm convinced it's not the fuel system.

Dan
Wannagofishin

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2008, 02:54:12 PM »

How about bubbles???

No bubbles. I thought it might be a pin hole in the line somewhere, but no evidence of it. I've thought about replacing the whole line and bulb but don't have the money to waste on trial and error. I know the purge ball in the bulb can go bad but it pumps up and holds firm.

Dan
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2008, 02:55:56 PM »

It's all new. (Tanks, bulb, and line from tank to carb) Plus, I have a water separating fuel filter and the carb I just rebuilt. I'm not a master mechanic, but I've been working on engines (four stroke) since I was a pup. I was sop foreman at a Triumph dealership, and I've built and rebuilt God only knows how many bikes. All four stroke - not too much experience with two strokes.

Dan
Well then, as you know,  the resistance between the electrodes of the sparkplugs go to the highest because of more gas and oil particles in the cylinder during wot.  I gona take a swag here now.  In 2 cycle engines there is a thing called reserve voltage.  There is a special tester to test it.  If it takes lets say, 15000 volts to fire the plug at 1/2 throttle and 35000 volts at full throttle but the coil reserve voltage is only 30000 the cylinder will fail at wot.  more than likely you have a bad power pack/coil or low voltage to the same.....

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2008, 02:58:34 PM »

try gapping the plug to .060....  this might make the engine fail on muffs... then u will be able to id which cylinder it is

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home