May 19, 2022, 08:07:15 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Man, am I glad I found this forum!  (Read 29021 times)
Wannagofishin

Wannagofishin? Yeah, I wannagofishin.

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2008, 03:08:22 PM »

Can't gap my plugs. I did pull them yesterday and the top one was a little fouled (very little) and the bottom was clean as a whistle. Both wet.

This is a "it ran fine last time out but this time I have a problem" situation. It only sat for two weeks between outings, covered and only a fuel fill-up difference between runs. (BP gas) If I knew more people here, I'd borrow a known working tank and fuel line just to be sure it's not fuel. Otherwise I need to take it to a mechanic with the instruments to do the tests I can't.

Dan
mreinke

New to Crabbing !

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2008, 03:10:03 PM »

Well I guess I will have to get my boat running so we can go fishing. LOL
I just need a couple more things an we are off.
Mike

Mike
Wannagofishin

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2008, 03:18:34 PM »

Well I guess I will have to get my boat running so we can go fishing. LOL
I just need a couple more things an we are off.
Mike

Sounds good to me, Mike. Someone's gotta show me how to catch a cotton-pickin Florida bass.  laugh

Dan
mreinke

New to Crabbing !

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2008, 03:35:45 PM »

If you have a little time during the week. Go over to city center and fish the pond there.I was getting some small ones ( around 3 lbs. ) on plastic worms. I was told that they get them over 10lbs. there . but there cant be to many of them that size in there.
Mike

Mike
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2008, 03:50:55 PM »

Can't gap my plugs.
Huh?  Huh Opening the gap to .060" will help simulate running at wot.  By opening the plug gap you might find that the engine will not even idle.  If the plugs fire ok with the gap open that wide, I doubt you have an ignition problem..

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

Wannagofishin

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2008, 04:24:54 PM »

Huh?  Huh Opening the gap to .060" will help simulate running at wot.  By opening the plug gap you might find that the engine will not even idle.  If the plugs fire ok with the gap open that wide, I doubt you have an ignition problem..

Mine don't have the ground electrode. Don't know the term for them but they are flat.

Dan
Wannagofishin

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2008, 04:28:08 PM »

They're called surface discharge.

Dan
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2008, 05:40:55 PM »

OH.. Surface gap plugs.... You could get a set of standard plugs to help you diagnose your problem.. BTW, I have seen surface gap plugs cause all kinds of weird problems.  I am not a fan of surface gap plugs.

edit... First thing I would do if you brought the engine to me is put Merc's recommend plug in.  Wink
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 05:45:26 PM by jack1747 » Logged

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
Wannagofishin

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2008, 08:50:09 PM »

edit... First thing I would do if you brought the engine to me is put Merc's recommend plug in.  Wink

They are the plugs Merc recommends. Straight from Mercury Parts Express. NGK BUHW.

Dan
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2008, 07:38:50 AM »

Take some WD40 and spray down the coils and wires,the WD will make it fire right if there is a crack or moisture but those old Merc's had a lot of electrical failure under the flywheel.

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2008, 09:03:10 AM »

They are the plugs Merc recommends. Straight from Mercury Parts Express. NGK BUHW.

Dan
I was afraid u were going to say that.  Yep, checked my book...  And they don't make a standard plug to fit..  You could try using any ol standard plug with its gap open to .060 But do not install it into the engine.  Let the plug dangle from the ignition wire.  Or buy one of those cheap ignition testers. like part number 750018 on this page http://www.jackssmallengines.com/service_tools3.cfm You can buy them in lots of auto parts stores.

I am not trying to advertise the website! Just trying to point out a device that I think would help Dan.

Wannagofishin

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2008, 06:39:11 PM »

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, I really appreciate it. I wish I had a tank to do my testing instead of having to make an adjustment and haul it to the river, come back and do it again. Jack, I'll be getting one of those spark testers when I get a chance. I've looked for them but the ones I've found (except for yours) cost more than what they're worth.

Like I said before, I'm not a master mechanic, but a decent one, and I've thought about trying to find a part time job around here doing odd jobs in a marine shop in trade for knowledge and equipment use. There's a lot I don't know how to do, but there's a lot I do know, so it's not like they'd be getting a total know-nothing.  laugh

I'll keep you posted on the progress but it may take a while. I live and work in a campground down here and my boss cut my hours. My new trolling motor took a dump and it is still under warranty but I have to get it to Deland for repairs. My brakes are bad on my van, and I have to register it here before the end of the month. Do you know the phrase "When it rains, it pours?"

Dan

long green crabber
In Memoriam 12/2011
Lifetime Member

crabbin` cruiser

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2008, 06:47:26 PM »

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, I really appreciate it. I wish I had a tank to do my testing instead of having to make an adjustment and haul it to the river, come back and do it again. Jack, I'll be getting one of those spark testers when I get a chance. I've looked for them but the ones I've found (except for yours) cost more than what they're worth.

Like I said before, I'm not a master mechanic, but a decent one, and I've thought about trying to find a part time job around here doing odd jobs in a marine shop in trade for knowledge and equipment use. There's a lot I don't know how to do, but there's a lot I do know, so it's not like they'd be getting a total know-nothing.  laugh

I'll keep you posted on the progress but it may take a while. I live and work in a campground down here and my boss cut my hours. My new trolling motor took a dump and it is still under warranty but I have to get it to Deland for repairs. My brakes are bad on my van, and I have to register it here before the end of the month. Do you know the phrase "When it rains, it pours?"

Dan

to solve your 'take it to the river' problem, get a set of 'ears' only a few bucks.  good luck.   lgc
Wannagofishin

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2008, 06:51:05 PM »

I have them but I can't run it wide open on muffs. You can't even adjust the idle without it being in gear and under load.

Dan
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2008, 07:14:10 PM »

Maybe it's time to "retire" the ol' girl and get one of those new four strokers or that new E-tec. Then, maybe ya would'nt be at this point.....IMHO Roll Eyes Grin Grin

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!

Wannagofishin

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2008, 07:41:01 PM »

Maybe it's time to "retire" the ol' girl and get one of those new four strokers or that new E-tec. Then, maybe ya would'nt be at this point.....IMHO Roll Eyes Grin Grin

Maybe you missed it, but I don't have the money for a new engine and I wouldn't buy a four stroke anyway.  laugh There's a lot of life left in this one and I'm not giving up because of a small problem. That's like burying the dog because it has a splinter in its pawl.

Dan
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2008, 07:44:46 PM »

Maybe you missed it, but I don't have the money for a new engine and I wouldn't buy a four stroke anyway.  laugh There's a lot of life left in this one and I'm not giving up because of a small problem. That's like burying the dog because it has a splinter in its pawl.

Dan
Sorry, and no I didn't miss it. It was just a IMHO Wink If it was mine and a simple problem, I too would fix it and ran her until she blows, literally(hopefully close to shore and a tow) Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2008, 08:38:17 PM »

TAKE A LOOK AT THE E-TEC

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2008, 10:52:41 PM »

TAKE A LOOK AT THE E-TEC

Holy [curd]! E-tec spanked the  4 stroker. I wonder if they did tests like that against all 4's and some of the other regular 2 strokers to show a better comparison. Would have me sold, just because of the weight difference, but far as environmental aspect I prefer the 4

saltysenior

ex-wye rat---who now C B C

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2008, 07:18:08 PM »

google up.....iboats.com          then go to merc....     there are some good mech. on that website willing to help....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home