May 19, 2022, 08:36:16 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Commercial crabbers in Charleston, SC???  (Read 13475 times)
crabbingsc

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2008, 10:59:02 PM »

Hello, I'm new to the forum and I'm trying to see if there's any local commercial crabbers closeby that needs a deckhand. I plan on getting my own commercial license later this year, but I love the work...
If you could use a hand, please call.

Bobby Bentz
Charleston, SC
843-534-3670

Grin
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 12:00:15 AM »

Hey check over at Bryans Seafood, Jimme Crab over on the other side of Beaufort. If Suds and Fish is still in business ask them if they know anyone. Was located on/OFF Dorchester Ave next to the strip club. Good luck Grin

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
got crab

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 04:48:05 PM »

you said the wrong words, you are gonna get a license, everytime i get help like this they work a month or two then quit and show up the next month with pots all over me.  so good luck finding work.   most people will not give free lessons.
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 05:51:31 PM »

you said the wrong words, you are gonna get a license, everytime i get help like this they work a month or two then quit and show up the next month with pots all over me.  so good luck finding work.   most people will not give free lessons.
You are right about that, happens every place too. I can say this much, my two kids, work for/or run boats for reliable crabbers. Often they have thought of running their own gear exclusively, but the risks out weigh all of that, especially after 3 bad years here in a row. Don't get me wrong, they make good money, but they have over 8 years experience(well one does)(the other is 6 years).
Got Crabs, I would give the guy a chance, last time I was down there, good help was scarce and Mexicans were running boats.

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
got crab

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 06:15:33 PM »

i ve had a mexican on my boat for the last year "he is legal" and i hate to say it but he will outwork anybody i have ever had on the boat and believe me i have had plenty.   i had a so called friend that wanted to work so i put him on the boat about 2 months go by and he says he is getting a license so last year he pops up with 2 lines on either side of me. 

madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 08:51:48 PM »

That happens in any business.I have trained many and now I have to compete with them it's free enterprise.It sucks but people naturally want to better themselves if they are ambitious.In a perfect world they would move far away and do whatever it is that they learned from us but that usually isn't the case.  Undecided
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 11:46:24 PM »

That happens in any business.I have trained many and now I have to compete with them it's free enterprise.It sucks but people naturally want to better themselves if they are ambitious.In a perfect world they would move far away and do whatever it is that they learned from us but that usually isn't the case.  Undecided
Many Mexicans? But far as crabbing goes, I don't care if they work on the boat with ya, it's letting them run a boat I have a problem with, no matter of their illegal/legal status. The problem with most people, either they don't want to do a commercial fishing job, or they do it, it idn't work to good for them, or you have some who try to tell you how to do it(after you'd been doing it for twenty vs. their one day) or like Got Crabs said, work and learn from ya, buy someones gear and boat and license(no law against) but turn around and ambush you, by slinging gear on top of you.....here we have a solution for those.

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 11:48:07 PM »

CRABBINSC, I know your intentions are probably good, but hear the advice from the above and prove us wrong. Good Luck on your crabbing adventures, may your baskets be full and your hands smell like bait. Grin

crabbingsc

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 12:05:39 PM »

When I posted this message I had no intention in learning someone's secrets and stealing the spots where they put their crab pots or trotlines. I have more respect then that, I was honestly just looking for some work on a blue crab boat. And yes, that person could one day be my competition, I guess, but it's always good to know as many people in the industry as possible, right? So in saying that, I quess I will say "I'm sorry" for asking. I will just wait till my boat is finished and go out on my own, I'm sure that's best.
Thanks for the reply's.
got crab

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 08:35:41 PM »

trotline in sc?    must not be from around here.

crabbingsc

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 11:04:19 PM »

trotline in sc?    must not be from around here.

yes, it's doable in SC...
madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 07:48:01 PM »

Good luck,a friend of mine is going out in MD this year.It will be his first year officially a commercial crabber.I will be going with him and am thinking of getting a license too I like you will not steal his spots.As with anything you do in life there are s-head people that want what you have just have to deal with it and move on. And yes Horsefly I have trained a few legal Mexicans they have not tried to compete with me.I don't care what race a person is myself just how good they produce and they are legal.We all can trace our ancestors to another country,unless you are an American Indian and I think they can trace back to Asia if I'm not mistaken.
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 09:54:13 PM »

Good luck,a friend of mine is going out in MD this year.It will be his first year officially a commercial crabber.I will be going with him and am thinking of getting a license too I like you will not steal his spots.As with anything you do in life there are s-head people that want what you have just have to deal with it and move on. And yes Horsefly I have trained a few legal Mexicans they have not tried to compete with me.I don't care what race a person is myself just how good they produce and they are legal.We all can trace our ancestors to another country,unless you are an American Indian and I think they can trace back to Asia if I'm not mistaken.
In your original message it said trained many, I didn't know it was Hispanics. I too have trained many and worked around 100 in the picking house etc. Sorry if we got wires crossed or something. So we know, I am for "LEGAL" immigration, because the word immigrant pertains to a wide majority of ethnic backgrounds. But, I am against "ILLEGAL" immigration. There is many flaws in the system of the visa program. If ya want to know how    you could Bail me so this sticks more to crabbing and doesn't get way outta of hand Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home