September 24, 2018, 03:48:57 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This just in from Virginia.... 1/23  (Read 12988 times)
dumpling5670

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 08:43:38 PM »

it's no good to go to the governor, senate or mayor or any of the big wigs out there. i already did all that!!!! but ya'll are right about it being more then just one or two problems. it's a chain of events creating the crab decline, but i still stick to my original quote, rock fish and peeler potters are the main reason for the decline. think about it, if we catch and kill all puppies under and set traps for the adult dogs so they can be sold, what are ya gonna have? eventually there won't be any dogs!!!!hello  cut out peeler potting for several peeler runs a year will make a big difference. generally there are at least 3 if not 4 peeler runs a year. cut out at least 2. cut out the 2nd and 3rd run of peelers. as far as crabbers setting more pots then they are allowed, it's easy to catch the ones doing it. but then again all the ones setting over the limit in pots are friends of marine police and marine police just look the other way. then you have the ones abusing the system by having 2 to 4 sets of crab gear licenses they use for 1 boat. for an example one waterman has 2 licenses in his name one in his wifes name, 2 hired hands have licenses being used under the same boat and captain. big loop holes in the system i suppose! as an insider (in other words a waterman myself) i see waterman evading the rules and regulations everyday.

Sally and Dennis Ray
crabbygramps
In Memoriam (1/2013)
Lifetime Member

awww geeeez....another one

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2008, 06:55:16 AM »

One voice...no good. Four thousand voices can be heard a little better!!! We need a electronic, four or five state petition. Any and all who can relate to or sympathize to the plight of the bay or bays. The people in charge..( if you can call it that ) do not realize the true depth of the problem. If they do, it seems it means little to them. If enough people raise a stink..hopefully someone will hear. This is beyond Marylands' problem. It truly needs to be addressed on a federal level or at minimum the 3 or 4 states surrounding Md. Someone with the computer skills could come up with something that we could all sign somehow... then get it in the hands of  someone who would make these meetings and let our voice and opinions be heard. Make copies and send them to all our local legislators. Ask them to make sure it ends up in the hands of senators and congressmen. Maybe 3 or 4 or more of our forum sages could get together and come up with something. (er'.. Seanile ...Jack.. "PINCHY"... Weed.. Domino......are ya listening..)

"CHESAPEAKE FEVER" catch it and you'll know "WYE"
crabbygramps
In Memoriam (1/2013)
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2008, 07:03:03 AM »

it's no good to go to the governor, senate or mayor or any of the big wigs out there. i already did all that!!!! but ya'll are right about it being more then just one or two problems. it's a chain of events creating the crab decline, but i still stick to my original quote, rock fish and peeler potters are the main reason for the decline. think about it, if we catch and kill all puppies under and set traps for the adult dogs so they can be sold, what are ya gonna have? eventually there won't be any dogs!!!!hello  cut out peeler potting for several peeler runs a year will make a big difference. generally there are at least 3 if not 4 peeler runs a year. cut out at least 2. cut out the 2nd and 3rd run of peelers. as far as crabbers setting more pots then they are allowed, it's easy to catch the ones doing it. but then again all the ones setting over the limit in pots are friends of marine police and marine police just look the other way. then you have the ones abusing the system by having 2 to 4 sets of crab gear licenses they use for 1 boat. for an example one waterman has 2 licenses in his name one in his wifes name, 2 hired hands have licenses being used under the same boat and captain. big loop holes in the system i suppose! as an insider (in other words a waterman myself) i see waterman evading the rules and regulations everyday.

Very valid complaint!!  But it's still picking out one or two issues that piss you off.. (and they should ) But thats just a little of whats going on...( and should be added to the list of many, many other things happening ) "Numbers" of complainers and complaints will do more to get a sympathetic ear... (jmo )

dumpling5670

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2008, 07:38:49 AM »

getting a petition started here is good and i can see what i can do to start this if ya'll would like. as well as i can have these papers put into convenient stores where waterman are always at for their signatures. actually i have finally found a reporter that is interested in the cause as well. i have been working on this for a long time by myself and have found that plenty of waterman have a lot to say about this and other issues but few are willing to stand firm when it comes to solutions. it's dog eat dog world when it comes to waterman, nobody wants to stick together. i have sent around 100 letters to congress, senate,governors, mayors, news reporters, including the president and vice president and the response is always the same, i understand your concern but i can't do anything about it.  i need more people to help me, like it was stated here signatures may help. we need to stick together! no i am not pissed of at the one or two issues i stand for, i am pissed off that waterman won't stick together, and actually allow the stuffed suits and so called scientist make all the decisions,most who have never stepped foot aboard a boat to work in their lives. all their reports are based on computer print outs. thats what pisses me of!!! hello it's still a free country, stand up, help do something. if we don't stand up and take notice to help ourselves, nobody else is going to do it for us!

Sally and Dennis Ray
crabbygramps
In Memoriam (1/2013)
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2008, 09:49:56 AM »

getting a petition started here is good and i can see what i can do to start this if ya'll would like. as well as i can have these papers put into convenient stores where waterman are always at for their signatures. actually i have finally found a reporter that is interested in the cause as well. i have been working on this for a long time by myself and have found that plenty of waterman have a lot to say about this and other issues but few are willing to stand firm when it comes to solutions. it's dog eat dog world when it comes to waterman, nobody wants to stick together. i have sent around 100 letters to congress, senate,governors, mayors, news reporters, including the president and vice president and the response is always the same, i understand your concern but i can't do anything about it.  i need more people to help me, like it was stated here signatures may help. we need to stick together! no i am not pissed of at the one or two issues i stand for, i am pissed off that waterman won't stick together, and actually allow the stuffed suits and so called scientist make all the decisions,most who have never stepped foot aboard a boat to work in their lives. all their reports are based on computer print outs. thats what pisses me of!!! hello it's still a free country, stand up, help do something. if we don't stand up and take notice to help ourselves, nobody else is going to do it for us!

Dumpling...
 May have just enlisted a little help.. Forgot..( happens to old folks ) that I have an acquaintance  who is a free lance writer for sporting magazines. Explained briefly our problem, dilemma...what ever to him. Also e-mailed my State rep again this a.m. We must get and keep the ball rolling or it's back under the rug for all of us!!

CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2008, 11:21:14 AM »

yep..it's just the comms fault.  not the environment, weather, pollution, increased pressure by all including rec's and etc......nope couldn't be any of the other factors being put on the ecosystem.

Yes CrabbyD it is ALL your fault......   Grin Grin Grin laugh laugh laugh

I agree, it is a multitude of problems, pollution, lack of grass , to much run off ,fertilizer, over fishing by all recs and comm, and toomany rockfish now eating em up.  it will take them two more years to get through all the bureaucratic redtape etc to even enact anything..... stay tuned.. in the meantime we can always blame CrabbyD...    I have seen how packed your bushels are brother!!!  thanks for the last Bmail too..  laugh
Wink laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

....Cdog

MD / PA Line
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2008, 04:57:19 PM »

it will take them two more years to get through all the bureaucratic redtape etc to even enact anything.....
....Cdog
I don't think so.  Not this time.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
Seanile
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

WHEN THE CHICKEN NECK DROPS, THE BS STOPS

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2008, 07:09:56 PM »

I don't think so.  Not this time.

After listening to the tape, I tend to agree with you, Jack.

~ Bruce ~

If a man speaks at sea, where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?
dumpling5670

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2008, 09:10:44 PM »

that would be good just let me know what and when,if any help is needed. the daily press has an interest in our situation too. the reporter is going to contact me before the meeting in feb. he wants our views on these issues.he did an issue on the 23rd of jan.this will be a follow up story.so i will let ya'll know what goes on with that.

Sally and Dennis Ray
crabbygramps
In Memoriam (1/2013)
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2008, 07:35:28 AM »

After listening to the tape, I tend to agree with you, Jack.

Hopefully you are both right..but a little or alot of stomping and bitching should help!! Grin

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2008, 05:41:42 PM »

The report is 35 pages long so I took the liberty to snip out some stuff so ya'll didnt have to read the whole thing.  Jack

Members of the Blue Crab Regulatory Review Committee

Dr. Elizabeth Wenner, South Carolina Department of Natural Resources
Dr. Thomas Wolcott, North Carolina State University
Mr. Lynn Henry, North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries
Dr. John Hoenig, Virginia Institute of Marine Science
Dr. Romuald Lipcius, Virginia Institute of Marine Science
Dr. Thomas Miller, Chesapeake Biological Laboratory, University of Maryland
Ms. Lynn Fegley, Maryland Department of Natural Resources
Dr. John McConaugha, Old Dominion University and Associate Commission Member, Virginia Marine Resources Commission
Mr. Rick Robins, Associate Commission Member, Virginia Marine Resources Commission
Mr. Jack G. Travelstead, Deputy Commissioner, Virginia Marine Resources Commission

Statement of the Problem:

The Virginia Marine Resources Commission recently convened a Blue Crab Regulatory Review Committee (BCRRC) to investigate the potential of existing regulations to reverse current resource conditions of low overall abundance and low spawning potential.  In addition the BCRRC, composed of eight scientists from South Carolina, North Carolina, Maryland and Virginia, was asked to assess current regulations, in terms of their ability to promote optimum yield and effectively control effort in the fisheries and promote increases in abundance of the stock.

The bay-wide abundance estimates of age-1+ crabs estimated from the 2005-2006 winter dredge survey was 122 million crabs (the value from the 2006-2007 survey was 143 million crabs was similar to the estimated abundance of 2005 (see Figure 1).  This abundance estimate is as much as 70% less than abundance estimates for the early 1990s.  The 2006 bay-wide harvest of blue crab was 48.9 million pounds and is among the lowest recorded, since 1945, and well below the long-term (1945 -2006) average harvest of 73 million pounds.

Especially troubling is that the spawning potential has remained at low levels, since 1992, despite implementation of measures such as several expansions of the summertime spawning sanctuary.

The threshold level of fishing is 53%. Removing this fraction of animals each year would be sustainable, but consistently removing a higher fraction would threaten sustainability, and overfishing would be occurring. To provide a margin of safety, a ‘target’ level of exploitation has been set at 46%.

An underlying cause, for low stock abundance and poor harvests, is that between 1998 and 2006 exploitation rates have exceeded the overfishing threshold 6 times.

The exploitation rate has been above the target level of u=0.46 for 11 of last the 17 years.

The current management plan may have staved off even lower levels of abundance or landings, but more aggressive, direct methods that prevent overfishing and promote an increase in stock size are warranted.

Success of management efforts can be complicated by variability in environmental conditions. Ongoing losses in submerged aquatic vegetation (SAV) that serves as primary nursery areas for juvenile crabs and reduction of oyster reefs that provide food and refuge for age 1+ crabs evidently impede the growth of this stock.  VIMS indicates there is evidence of high mortality rates of juvenile crabs tied to the loss of SAV, and this loss has a direct impact on recruitment to age 1+ .  The extent of predation on blue crabs by predators such as striped bass, red drum, and Atlantic croaker is unknown. Another form of natural mortality, cannibalism, is well documented for blue crab, but like predation, it is not known whether the removal of crabs by cannibalism is enhanced or diminished, under low crab stock conditions.

Changes in sea surface temperatures, recent hurricane and tropical storm events, as well as a continuation of marginal water quality conditions negatively impact the biological stability of the blue crab stock.  It is also plausible that the carrying capacity of the ecosystem, for blue crab, has changed over time.

However, implementation of effort-control measures may take time and require social and political adjustments to adapt to a new management regime.  Management measures were adopted by the VMRC in 1994 and may have prevented an even more reduced stock condition than currently exists, and this committee supports continuation or improvements of these measures until an effort-control strategy and pot-tagging or marking system are in place.

Industry members have told the VMRC that regulations regarding the 8-hour workday and different pot limits in the tributaries and mainstem bay areas can be circumvented by setting additional (illegal) pots.  Based on information from VMRC staff, conservation gains associated with the 8-hour limit or pot limits are undermined, simply through setting additional crab pots.  Such illegal effort is extremely difficult for the Commission to enforce in the absence of a pot-marking system.

The Virginia crab pot (and peeler pot) season extends from March 17 through November 30.  Prior to 2007, the fishery opened on April 1.  The committee discussed the benefits of reducing the November fishery, even by two weeks.  Given the high exploitation rate on female crabs and low abundance of the spawning stock, a shorter late-fall season could benefit the stock.  The best approach would involve a shorter season in all three bay jurisdictions.  However, Maryland ends its season on December 15, so it would be difficult to close the last two weeks of November throughout the bay.  Shortening a season may not be a beneficial approach because of the potential for recoupment.  Harvesters would have advance knowledge of any closure and would react by either setting more pots during the open season or a number of inactive harvesters may become active during that time of the season.

Recommendation:

The VMRC should take corrective action to end overfishing in the blue crab fishery and constrain mortality towards the exploitation target. The VMRC should develop an effort control strategy that will enable the Commission to directly control and monitor effort as part of a comprehensive management plan, and in response to changing biological conditions.  The VMRC should consider any measures that would reduce effort in this fishery, until such time that exploitation rates remain at or near the target, for several years. Any effort reductions in this fishery will also improve the exploitation rate on female crabs, as this fishery harvests the majority of female crabs.  Since an effort control system will take time to develop and implement, as a precautionary action, the VMRC should consider requiring use of a 2 ¼-inch, unobstructed cull ring in the mainstem Bay and Pocomoke and Tangier Sounds.  This size cull ring will allow additional escapement and reduce waste.  Implementation of a pot-marking system would allow effective enforcement of the cull-ring regulation, in addition to other benefits discussed above.

The Report of the Task Force on The Virginia Blue Crab Winter Dredge Fishery (2000) to the Governor and General Assembly of Virginia characterized several impacts from this fishery: 

1)   Over the last 13 years, the winter dredge fishery accounted for 7.3% of Bay-wide harvest annually, and since 1993 has accounted for 8.7% of the female crabs harvested annually. 

2)   Since 1991, the winter dredge fishery has harvested on average 32% of the female crabs at least one year of age that reside in the Bay at the beginning of the winter dredge fishery, and 21% of the total number of crabs 1 year of age or older at the start of the dredge season.

The task force comprised of VIMS and ODU scientists provided the following recommendations:

1)   The Task Force does not recommend that the winter dredge fishery be singled out for additional restrictions.  However, the Task Force would not be opposed to future restrictions on the dredge fishery, if those restrictions were deemed necessary as part of an overall blue crab management plan that considered additional restrictions in all fisheries.

2)   Because the winter dredge fishery has the potential to significantly impact the number of over-wintering crabs, the Task Force does not recommend that any expansion of the winter dredge fishery be allowed.
Recommendation:  The VMRC should develop an effort control system for the peeler fishery in order to prevent overfishing and constrain mortality at the target level.  Recognizing that an effort control system will take some time to develop, and as an additional precautionary action to reduce exploitation, the VMRC should consider raising the minimum size limit on peelers.  A higher minimum size limit would provide some benefits to the spawning potential and would reduce waste associated with green crabs.  It may be beneficial, for all three Chesapeake Bay jurisdictions, to have similar minimum peeler size limits. The VMRC could also consider prohibiting the sale of white-line peelers, but allow harvesters to retain white-line peelers for use in their own (permitted or licensed) shedding system.  Prohibiting the sale of white-line peelers would provide some benefits to the spawning potential and would reduce waste associated with attempting to shed green crabs and white-line peelers.  It would be beneficial, for all the mid-Atlantic jurisdictions, to have similar rules on white-line peeler harvest.

Recommendation:  The sanctuary does afford protection to female crabs.  Currently, harvest within the sanctuary is prohibited from June 1 through September 15.  As there is spawning activity in May, the harvest prohibition should extend from May 15 through September 15.  Alternatively, since there is a high percentage of mature, legal females harvested from the Hampton Roads area, female mortality rates could be reduced by other conservation measures aimed at females prior to or during their migration to the spawning sanctuary, including sanctuary modifications.

crabbygramps
In Memoriam (1/2013)
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2008, 08:51:18 PM »

JMO... they are just scratching the surface. Right now what they suggest is too little too late. Comms...Get together. Some one in the crabbing industry or some one on this forum must know at least "one" person of influence or horsepower to get the opinions that have been expressed here to the attention of this committee..They started the rock moratorium, how can that not know that it has exceeded what was needed. Jack, any way that we could "FLOOD" these committee members with e-mail??? Each one individually...

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2008, 09:03:23 PM »

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php/topic,23448.msg201585.html#new

I encourage all of you that feel strongly about the subject write to this guy,

Jack Travelstead <[email protected]>

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2008, 09:15:11 PM »

Or is it all about jokes and BS?  How about it  RCA?  I know many of you feel strongly about Callinectes sapidus.  What about the watermen? On your site… It is time to pull together..

crabbygramps
In Memoriam (1/2013)
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2008, 09:18:52 PM »

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php/topic,23448.msg201585.html#new

I encourage all of you that feel strongly about the subject write to this guy,

Jack Travelstead <[email protected]>

Thanks Jack..Will take the rest of the evening to really sort out how I feel and want to say..e-mail will be on it's way tomorrow morning at 5:30 a.m. Suggest as many as possible to do the same.. Nows is not the time to talk "snow shovels"..now is the time to get our [shiz] together and act as one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's go brother crabbers

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2008, 09:27:09 PM »

anyone wants the whole document.. send me a email [email protected]

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2008, 09:41:07 PM »

Or is it all about jokes and BS?  How about it  RCA?  I know many of you feel strongly about Callinectes sapidus.  What about the watermen? On your site… It is time to pull together..

and u guys on TF too..

rivercrab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2008, 01:17:39 PM »

Ive been going to the meetings in MD for a while now..Ive tried to let people know..But guess what no one cared then..I care but now it seems everyone else does because there are reg changes coming down the line..Little late now. Lets see how many reply to this post that really will donate the time to help..Also Jack if VA would stop winter dredging the population would go up..Its a known fact..But Va wants to crab all year long which in MDs eyes is BS..We cant crab all year long why is it fair for them?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 01:21:37 PM by rivercrab » Logged
crabbygramps
In Memoriam (1/2013)
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2008, 01:27:38 PM »

Ive been going to the meetings in MD for a while now..Ive tried to let people know..But guess what no one cared then..I care but now it seems everyone else does because there are reg changes coming down the line..Little late now. Lets see how many reply to this post that really will donate the time to help..Also Jack if VA would stop winter dredging the population would go up..Its a known fact..But Va wants to crab all year long which in MDs eyes is BS..We cant crab all year long why is it fair for them?
Right you are RC.. but you only hit one nail on the head.. Cry So many targets, so little time!! Tongue

Billycrab

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2008, 02:48:12 PM »

Rivercrab, you hit one very important nail squarely on the head...the winter dredging!!   which, I believe, harvests almost exclusively female crabs??  I'm not positive on this one but i remember seeing a dredging boat come in at Lewes,DE once while striper fishing the DE bay in late fall. He had ~ 40 bu. on board and almost all crabs caught were females...that has to have a significant negative effect on the breeding population. Does anyone else have any credible data or statistics on this topic? This seems like a bad practice at first glance but I'd like to hear some more details on the dynamics if anyone has them.

thanks,

BC

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home