November 11, 2019, 11:41:02 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Lunar Delusion - a final analysis  (Read 15275 times)
Pinchy

Instructions: Hunt, fish, crab - rinse and repeat.

Ignore
« on: February 05, 2008, 01:36:01 PM »

I do not mean to single out Jack - he is a fine person, writer, and waterman. But this post is a continuing example of confusion on this topic and it needs to be cleared up and disposed of.

The fish didn't get her when she [shed] on the last full moon...

Kindly indulge my continuing effort to disabuse you of this fantastical connection between a moon and a shed. Let's examine this step-by-logical step:

1. Crabs do not shed in winter. To those of you who will claim something like, "oh they can't see the moon..." there is a simple reply:
a) How do you know they cannot see winter moonlight? Crabs burrow into the mud in the winter months but their antennae, eyes and mouthparts remain slightly above the surface bottom to maintain gill circulation. In the clear, cold, winter water some light would penetrate. Do you seriously imagine that a wintering crab "sees" a full moon, jumps up, and sheds her shell?
b) As noted below, molting begins two full weeks before the shell is shed. Do you seriously imagine that a wintering crab is sitting on the bay floor, observing the lunar cycle, and anticipating the full moon?
Of course not, crabs do not shed in winter because they are in a hibernation state and their growth rate is slowed or stopped. Therefore the moon can have no effect.

2. From a reproductive standpoint, it would be impossible for all or even most crabs to be shedding simultaneously. Since the female must be in a post-molt soft state to mate, the male by definition must be...er...in a hard state. Jokes aside, the male must possess a hard shell as he mates and protects the soft sook while fertilization takes place. If at every full moon every crab were molting, mating would never take place and the species would soon go extinct. Therefore the moon can have no effect.

3. Crabs do not suddenly molt; there are several physiological steps that take place before the final molt. For example, the preparatory "white sign" appears two weeks prior to molt. There are at least three possibilities for this development:
a) there is a biological imperative (i.e. the crab is growing) and a hormonal/mechanical process intitiates.
b) the crab "knows" that a full moon will appear in two weeks, and the crab begins her undressing process 14 days before the ball.
c) assuming the moon has anything to do with molting, since we have learned that molting begins 14 days prior, perhaps it is the waxing moon to blame for the molt, and not the full moon.
Which of these three, a), b), or c), do you seriously believe is actually the cause of molting?

4. It is an indisputable fact that even during the full moon, you can catch crabs in all states of shell hardness. Therefore, the moon cannot be the sole influence (if at all) on crab molting.

5. It is an indisputable fact that crabs shed at different rates depending on age and size. [Jack and others with fish tanks can easily test this: place one, two, three, four, five and six-inch crabs together and observe rates of molting. Of course, there is the risk of cannibalistic crustaceicide with this arrangement, so try the experiment in separate tanks if possible.] Of course, this homemade observation is unnecessary as the literature is clear on this point: the molting rate is an energy-dependent process which is only begun as a physiological imperative, i.e. the crab would not survive unless he grows into a new shell. This happens weekly when young, and bi or tri-monthly when older. Therefore, the moon can have no effect.

6. Even assuming the lunar theory, what can the cause possibly be? What evolutionary process could have caused the blue crab to gain an advantage by shedding on the full moon? If you believe the reflected light is the answer, why would a crab wish to expose his soft shell to predators, including other crabs, when the night light is brightest? Crabs try to hide when molting, maximum exposure would be fatal rather than protective. Well, maybe you imagine there is some gravitational cause...but you forget that the moon is always there regardless of how much light is reflected and whether you can see it or not. The gravitational attraction between a 4 oz. crab and the lunar body approx. 239,000 miles away is effectively a constant zero. Therefore, there can be no lunar gravitational effect on crab molting.

7. You have neglected to consider the most likely answer to this delusion: the anthropocentric fallacy which causes all of us to mistake our biased observations for causality. We see the small proportion of crabs in our traps, pots, pilings which are shedding; we do not see the millions of others which are not shedding. Like primitive peoples who thought that their dances brought rain and didn't realize that their propitious storm formed many days prior and many miles away, we forget that crabs begin molting two weeks before the full moon peeks out (there is an example of anthropomorphism - the moon doesn't "peek" even if we like to imagine it does). We see more or fewer crabs in the traps, and imagine all sorts of reasons why this is so: rain or no rain, luck or lack of it, wind or no wind, a moon with more or less sunlight bouncing off it. All of these old wives' tales can be fun to bandy about, but there comes a time when grown men have to accept reproducible scientific tests, facts, and observations - and to bequeath the fables to the simple, the gullible, and Tattoo. Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 05:56:58 PM by Pinchy » Logged

Please pack your trash out, pick up others', and leave your fishing spot cleaner than when you found it.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 01:41:37 PM »

Thank you professor. we all have just got our crabbing lesson for today.  Wink book2 laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
long green crabber
In Memoriam 12/2011
Lifetime Member

crabbin` cruiser

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 03:53:27 PM »

so when is the next full moon?  Grin   lgc
BOTTOM FEEDER
Lifetime Member

GUNPOWDER PIRATE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 04:00:02 PM »

Pinchy ,your to smart for me , I just like to catchem and eat em ,,,DUMB  RED NECK   Though very interresting thanks for the imput....... laugh laugh

Many good seamen go down the drain....I happen to be a lucky one
wildturkey101
Lifetime Member

My Crabbing Buddies

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 04:19:42 PM »

Pinchy, crabs can't see the full moon in winter, they're buried in the mud, hence no shedding.  laugh laugh laugh

However I do enjoy reading your posts, I can't wait to take you and Tattoo out crabbing together this year.  Shocked Shocked Shocked

madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 04:38:06 PM »

idea3 idea2 argue singer sunny stars gossip Makes sense to me. Grin
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 04:40:21 PM »

Pinchy ,your to smart for me , I just like to catchem and eat em ,,,DUMB  RED NECK   Though very interresting thanks for the imput....... laugh laugh

BF,
Well wait til Jack see this as he is a "d_ _ b red neck too....    laugh laugh laugh laugh
I do think WT101 is on to something though.  as crabs mud up in winter / hibernate the moon does not affect them.  Much like a bear or groundhog.. unless his name is Phil and they wake him up to see his shadow.  Animals hibernating do not feel the affect of the lunar cycles / phase. once stirring however they will react to the lunar phases.  So I think the lunar phase thing might be out the window here....No offense Pinchy, just wanted to stir the pot...  I bet Crabby D or Seaweed would know.  Where is Crabologist when you need him......  Bueller   ... Bueller.. anyone.....

..........Cdog

MD / PA Line
wildturkey101
Lifetime Member

My Crabbing Buddies

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 05:25:39 PM »

1. Crabs do not shed in winter. Therefore the moon can have no effect.

Another one of my stoopid questions.
Do the crabs down in the Gulf coast region shed during the winter months?  Huh

Pinchy

Instructions: Hunt, fish, crab - rinse and repeat.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 05:51:23 PM »

Pinchy, crabs can't see the full moon in winter, they're buried in the mud, hence no shedding.  laugh laugh laugh

See addendum to point 1. in original thesis. Shocked

However I do enjoy reading your posts, I can't wait to take you and Tattoo out crabbing together this year.  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Gladly accepted. If Rich tries to hit me with his cane, I'll just bore him to death with an impromptu lecture. laugh

Please pack your trash out, pick up others', and leave your fishing spot cleaner than when you found it.
crabbygramps
In Memoriam (1/2013)
Lifetime Member

awww geeeez....another one

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 05:54:05 PM »

See addendum to point 1. in original thesis. Shocked

Gladly accepted. If Rich tries to hit me with his cane, I'll just bore him to death with an impromptu lecture. laugh
Loan you my earmuffs Rich laugh laugh

"CHESAPEAKE FEVER" catch it and you'll know "WYE"

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 05:58:03 PM »

laugh laugh laugh laugh don't forget i have a cane with a 30 inch soard in the handle.  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 06:19:11 PM »

I did not read your post.  Been out rebuilding a pier all day.  To tired to think. To many words to read. I know what you think anyway.  Maybe I will read it tomorrow, maybe not.  All I will say is come on down and peeler pot with me two weeks each month.  One week during the full or new moon cycle.  One in the middle of it. I pot everyday but you will understand if you do one day each cycle.  May 20th will be the first peeler run here in the sound. 

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
CrabManJoe

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 06:32:22 PM »

So what are your thoughts on global warming?

You know what they say about a bad day on the water...
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 06:47:52 PM »

don't even go there . Pinchy will most likley write you a book on that.  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BITE ME

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 07:17:36 PM »

Smiley

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 07:32:04 PM »

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh Shack does it again.  laugh laugh

anchor
Lifetime Member

stop being a lurker and make a donation

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 09:52:19 PM »

pinchy is a legend in his own mind just ask him, it doesn't matter if people have been doing this for a living for 30-40 years he knows what his mr. wizard books tell him to believe laugh
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 10:06:33 PM »

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh :laugh:a crabbing EXBERT, he is or thinks so,  Wink laugh laugh laugh laugh

PHILLY JOE
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 10:38:35 PM »

I do not mean to single out Jack - he is a fine person, writer, and waterman. But this post is a continuing example of confusion on this topic and it needs to be cleared up and disposed of.

Kindly indulge my continuing effort to disabuse you of this fantastical connection between a moon and a shed. Let's examine this step-by-logical step:

Examine this:   deal2

http://www.bluecrab.info/fullmoon.htm

R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 08:46:43 AM »

Another one of my stoopid questions.
Do the crabs down in the Gulf coast region shed during the winter months?  Huh

Yes they do but at a slow rate,I shed one or two a day in my vats during the winter with water temps as low as 46.Our males shed year round and are going through a big shed right now so they will be hard and fattened up for the spring peeler run that should start in 3 weeks but we also have a few females shed all winter too.

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home