February 19, 2018, 11:12:13 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2008 Could be worst since 1945  (Read 16580 times)
southswell

Ignore
« on: March 30, 2008, 05:13:47 PM »

Mar 30, 2008 5:40 pm

| Print Watermen Expect Worst Crab Harvest For 2008
 Reporting
Tim Williams ROCK HALL, Md. (WJZ) ― The days are starting to get longer, signaling the start of crab season, but the outlook for this year's harvest is blue.

Tim Williams reports, watermen are concerned as they go into the 2008 season.

Crabbers say this could be the worst season for blue crabs since 1945.

"Crab season starts April first. According to the state, we should be able to go out here and catch bushels and bushels of crabs. But if you set your pots out here, you won't see a crab until about the 20th," said Waterman Don Pierce.

For 30-year waterman Pierce, the challenges are many. The catch this year is projected to reach numbers caught last year which is well below historic highs.

Researchers point to the fact that the crab population is nearing dangerously low levels.

Regulators are looking to step in and help. They're expected to announce serious cuts to keep from reducing the harvest even further, but with the season literally hours away, watermen like Pierce still don't know what the regulations might be.

"Don't know yet; we know what some of the Virginia ones are. We ain't heard a peep," said Pierce.

As it stands, Maryland crabbers can't work more than eight hours a day, and they're limited to  harvesting 900 crab pots at any one time.

Watermen are proposing bushel limits to restrict how many crabs are actually collected.

Aside from regulations, Pierce has another major concern going into this 2008 crab season...the price of fuel.

Diesel for his boat is going up to nearly $4 a gallon and for the consumer... will they fill up on crabs or fill their tanks? Another concern is water quality.

"If we could make our water qualities better, they could take 25 pages of that law book and throw it away cause they wouldn't need it. Crabs will take care of themselves," said Pierce.

The crab season runs from April 1 to December 15.

The crab season runs from April 1 to December 15.
(© MMVIII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 05:18:17 PM »

Did he say something about "WATER QUALITY"?
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BITE ME

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 05:24:14 PM »

Looks like 2008 might be the year of Dividing Creek and the greenheads....Sad

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 05:34:58 PM »

Thats OK with me , i do well there.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
southswell

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 05:36:08 PM »

They will never improve the water quality again! It is ashame, but too many people, too many homes, too much run-off and pollutants. Not to mention, many businesses don't give a shi- that are out of state, sending there [curd] right into the streams heading into the bay.

crabbygramps
In Memoriam (1/2013)
Lifetime Member

awww geeeez....another one

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 05:37:19 PM »

At least 20 days of crabbing NJ last year....2 days of greenheads.... Undecided Not all that bad Wink

"CHESAPEAKE FEVER" catch it and you'll know "WYE"
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 05:37:31 PM »

Thats the problem , not enough people care .  Embarassed Cry

southswell

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 05:42:53 PM »

Especially the politicians running our country today. They are ALL a f-ing joke in my opinion. Angry L8ER
Pinchy

Instructions: Hunt, fish, crab - rinse and repeat.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 06:20:41 PM »

Thats the problem , not enough people care .  Embarassed Cry

What are you talking about? "Caring"? There are multiple layers of environmental protection laws in force, dozens of regulatory agencies in the several surrounding states and DC, literally hundreds of private environmental groups collecting millions of dollars in donations to "save the environment," and millions of people who are concerned about the state of the Chesapeake and the entire watershed. All the "caring" in the world can't stop the fact of civilization and development; do you propose that PA, MD, DE, VA, DC, NC and surrounding states shut down their economies and go back to 17th-Century subsistence farming in order to "save" the Chesapeake? Angry

Cuiusvis hominis est errare; nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare.

Please pack your trash out, pick up others', and leave your fishing spot cleaner than when you found it.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 06:28:55 PM »

Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Undecided

BOTTOM FEEDER
Lifetime Member

GUNPOWDER PIRATE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 06:54:01 PM »

Did he say something about "WATER QUALITY"?
                                                                                                                                                           BINGO WE HAVE A WINNER  Lips Sealed

Many good seamen go down the drain....I happen to be a lucky one
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 06:56:10 PM »

do you propose that PA, MD, DE, VA, DC, NC and surrounding states shut down their economies and go back to 17th-Century subsistence farming in order to "save" the Chesapeake? Angry

Cuiusvis hominis est errare; nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare.
dont no what this Cuiusvis stuff is and dont care... what does DE, PA, and NY (u didnt mention them) have to do with the "Bay" except maybe polution and over fishing.. NC, whats that about? 

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
genecrabman

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 07:41:16 PM »

dont no what this Cuiusvis stuff is and dont care... what does DE, PA, and NY (u didnt mention them) have to do with the "Bay" except maybe polution and over fishing.. NC, whats that about? 

YEAH,  WHAT JACK SAID Roll Eyes  Leave NC out of it...Our Politics are Kill us down here just fine
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 09:09:50 PM by genecrabman » Logged
Pinchy

Instructions: Hunt, fish, crab - rinse and repeat.

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 08:35:30 PM »

YEAH,  WHAT JACK SAID Roll Eyes 

All I'm saying is, although we all care about the Chessie, it would take a radical and impossible alteration of life as it currently operates in all the states surrounding it. You can't end gas/oil street runoff overnight, fertilizers in the watershed, sewage overflows, and all the cr*p that comes out of the big cities like Baltimore & DC. "Caring" is simply not enough to address this intractable problem. Undecided

Please pack your trash out, pick up others', and leave your fishing spot cleaner than when you found it.
Summertop
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 08:40:05 PM »

All I'm saying is, although we all care about the Chessie, it would take a radical and impossible alteration of life as it currently operates in all the states surrounding it. You can't end gas/oil street runoff overnight, fertilizers in the watershed, sewage overflows, and all the cr*p that comes out of the big cities like Baltimore & DC. "Caring" is simply not enough to address this intractable problem. Undecided

Pinchy, who is the biggest polluter of the bay, here is a hint it is the biggest supplier of water to the bay...   You know the one who is currently turning it into chocolate milk as we speak.... Roll Eyes  Here is another hint, YOU LIVE THERE...

Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BITE ME

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 08:56:48 PM »

Dictionary
Find definitions for:

in•trac•ta•ble

Pronunciation: (in-trak'tu-bul), [key]
—adj.
1. not easily controlled or directed; not docile or manageable; stubborn; obstinate: an intractable disposition.
2. (of things) hard to shape or work with: an intractable metal.
3. hard to treat, relieve, or cure: the intractable pain in his leg.

Grin

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 10:51:45 PM »

Newguy, whats a safe number of gear??? How would you control it? Being that, some folks have multi licenses and either let someone run their boat (that has a pocket lic) and or leases them out for season. The limit of pots is a big issue lets tackle that. 500 (hard crab) pots per license owner only, no renting/leasing. Hours on water, crab time should be from 1/2 before sunrise to 2pm, crabbers should have one day off. Exceptions moving pots or setting or evasive storm actions, (storm actions you can bring in mkt crabs) no other times crabs should be allowed on boat unless for personal consumption. 150 peeler crab pots max with 2" cull rings (certain times of season only)
Trotline, I am not super familiar with comm ruling on this method, but could state, shorter lines should be made. Thus equalling the total length already mandated. If you want to target controls in the comm world, one has to look at those methods that damage the bottom (dredge, scrapping) and think of methods of ways to reduce by-catch of other species. Culling crabs on the boat is a good practice and should be done all over (I happen to live in a area the crabbers bring boxes in to be culled), the only problem with cull on the boat is, inexperienced strikers(deck hand) pokes his/her thumb into the white belly and that crab eventually dies, in the same token whites culled on land as I stated before go to AYCE places, picking house or mixed into those $30 doz crabs ya buy in Baltimore.
What would be great would be someone from the Va, Md  DMF to explain to all of us what is going on, actually it would be a bonus feature on this website IMHO Grin

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
dredgecrab

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 03:17:24 AM »

saturday the boats started getting limits. thats 51 bu. to the boat. the price is awesome. 65 for a bu. of females. 100 for a bu. of males. one boat  had 91 bu. crabs are scarce. that is what we want. supply and demand. when you have a lot of crabs there is no where to sell them. no picking houses left. i can't say what things might be like, crabs are very hard to figure out. i know what i see. hundreds of small males in the creeks and rivers. juveniles are demolishing our bait and the water temp just got to 50 degrees. sooks offshore. moving to the north fast. sounds like a good year for us. well it is nearly 4:30 am. time to head to the boat. hope crabs get up north soon.
genecrabman

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 04:54:19 AM »

Newguy, whats a safe number of gear??? How would you control it? Being that, some folks have multi licenses and either let someone run their boat (that has a pocket lic) and or leases them out for season. The limit of pots is a big issue lets tackle that. 500 (hard crab) pots per license owner only, no renting/leasing. Hours on water, crab time should be from 1/2 before sunrise to 2pm, crabbers should have one day off. Exceptions moving pots or setting or evasive storm actions, (storm actions you can bring in mkt crabs) no other times crabs should be allowed on boat unless for personal consumption. 150 peeler crab pots max with 2" cull rings (certain times of season only)
Trotline, I am not super familiar with comm ruling on this method, but could state, shorter lines should be made. Thus equalling the total length already mandated. If you want to target controls in the comm world, one has to look at those methods that damage the bottom (dredge, scrapping) and think of methods of ways to reduce by-catch of other species. Culling crabs on the boat is a good practice and should be done all over (I happen to live in a area the crabbers bring boxes in to be culled), the only problem with cull on the boat is, inexperienced strikers(deck hand) pokes his/her thumb into the white belly and that crab eventually dies, in the same token whites culled on land as I stated before go to AYCE places, picking house or mixed into those $30 doz crabs ya buy in Baltimore.
What would be great would be someone from the Va, Md  DMF to explain to all of us what is going on, actually it would be a bonus feature on this website IMHO Grin

OK Brian, Time to cut back on your Meds, your talking crazy again! Grin   (LIMITS) is nuts.. I hope your not talking that craziness for NC. I get $60 and up for my white bellies too.. Limits are not FAIR to the FULL-TIME "BIG" crabbers,who have a 3 person crew. If your talking about NC going to limits, How bout we shut the Rivers down to Pots? Like Md does?   Makes you start thinking now,doesn't it?  Those little boats that crab the rivers will have a tuff time in the Pamlico Sound...  LOL Gene

PS     A turd stinks more when messed with, Leave the Regulations to the Retards that work for the Government..

R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 05:38:45 AM »

OK Brian, Time to cut back on your Meds, your talking crazy again! Grin   (LIMITS) is nuts.. I hope your not talking that craziness for NC. I get $60 and up for my white bellies too.. Limits are not FAIR to the FULL-TIME "BIG" crabbers,who have a 3 person crew. If your talking about NC going to limits, How bout we shut the Rivers down to Pots? Like Md does?   Makes you start thinking now,doesn't it?  Those little boats that crab the rivers will have a tuff time in the Pamlico Sound...  LOL Gene

PS     A turd stinks more when messed with, Leave the Regulations to the Retards that work for the Government..

Brian has all the answers,he's starting to sound like a spokesperson for the CCA

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home