October 16, 2018, 11:56:04 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2008 Could be worst since 1945  (Read 17969 times)
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2008, 08:25:23 AM »

author=NewguyIntown link=topic=23906.msg208202#msg208202 date=1207284731]
well said rd .........now all we need is a remedy......by the way i hear the crabbing is totally bad over there this year?......how about all these rocket scientists that went and cried about thier being no crabs and got his trap tagging shoved down our throats......then everyone got extra licenses and the same ones that wanted trap reduction and limited entry are now selling off these extra licenses and putting more crabber out there and cutting thier own throats......we will all be hating life come june forking out the extra money to the state for those tags

Just so you know,I got one license from them,all I wanted and all I needed.I just bought another and had it transfered on Friday from a friend just to keep it out of compititions hands,I got it cheap enough that I may just let it lapse and retire it.
You can't have a trap reduction without having tags on the traps.We have a Senator who is still talking about closed season or closing inshore waterways to traps and he can get it done and if the ball gets rolling we will be very hard pressed to keep it from happening and anytime you don't think it could just remember the net ban.

Crabbing is bad over here with just a few hot spots,we have been in a prolonged draught for over 4 years and it caught up with us last summer.Had a good shot of rain in early Feb, and the crabbing picked up for a while.

By the way my bill to the FWC WILL BE OVER $2500 THIS jUNE
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 08:26:57 AM by R D » Logged

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2008, 09:50:11 AM »

I just have on question 21 years as a crabber and 27 years old and your location is Baltimore.. Doesnt add up.. Unless you lie in your profile.
U caught that too..  Cool

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2008, 09:51:45 AM »

This whole com. vs rec. is pretty much played out and really is pretty stupid.Everyone shares culpability here even people who don't crab.The problem is so much bigger than all of this grade school bickering.
I agree. 

madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2008, 12:45:40 PM »

To late for that.. Ive declared war.  Angry Angry
Are you kidding?War on what?For what?Let me know how that works out .
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2008, 01:10:01 PM »

Are you kidding?War on what?For what?Let me know how that works out .

RiverCrab, just loves to fight. Grin

madcrabber1113

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2008, 01:14:24 PM »

I know maybe it will get posted on Youtube so we can all be entertained  laugh
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2008, 02:28:02 PM »

Something doesn't add up is right with the time age thing.......leave the wine bottle or crack pipe alone. I do have to admit, this is the mildest I have seen Rivercrab............Newguy suck up and be quiet. I am not sure who's side you are on, but either way, WE ALL SHARE THE SAME WATER. We all are to blame in some way or another. Your pots got fished or stolen??? Maybe it's a warning, here most guys pick out or new pots stomp them or cut them or bundle them up in one spot Sad That's what happens to the new guy or someone crabbing to close etc.
But anyway, behave yourself. Grin

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
KALknowsRAE

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2008, 06:21:45 PM »

You comm. guys have had about about 20 or so years to find another line of work. The job market is constantly morphing. 100 years ago, alot of us were farmers. We left the farms and moved to the cities where the work is. You probably crab because you love it. Me, I live in the city. I don't really like my job, but it will always be there. If it disappears, I'll just find somthing else. You know the bay is dying!

Crabbing: A game of pinches.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2008, 06:46:49 PM »

You comm. guys have had about about 20 or so years to find another line of work. The job market is constantly morphing. 100 years ago, alot of us were farmers. We left the farms and moved to the cities where the work is. You probably crab because you love it. Me, I live in the city. I don't really like my job, but it will always be there. If it disappears, I'll just find somthing else. You know the bay is dying!
The bay is not dying.  But it is sick of all the stuff we do to her.  The good thing is, years ago, when the BCA started nobody hardly gave a [dang] about it.  Maybe its the internet or maybe people are waking up.  2010 was the goal for cleaner water.  Now everyone is hearing, "We ain't gona make it..."  It is not a Commercial vs. Rec thing..

southswell

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2008, 08:07:13 PM »

Definitely entertaining board here, keep it up. Grin My opinion, we recs and comms BOTH contributed to the crab population decline. Yes, pollution plays a BIG part, as does the fact that there are MANY rock out there today with not much grasses left. But, over the last 15 years, crabs were and still are being caught and shipped all around this country. HUGE demand! It is all about the money, the fun for just about all the comms is gone compared to the old days. Very hard making a living on the water and WILL get even harder to support their love. It is ahsame. We have all  played a part in destroying the crab population! From Md, Del, Va, NC, and will do the same to the Gulf Coast areas. Too much demand!!
I have said, as a rec, more than willing to keep a bushel instead of 2. All about the fun on the h20! I say no sponge crabs allowed would be a big plus for the industry. Yes, it will hurt the US picking houses. So? So much is comming in from Indonesia, Venezula, ect... Oh, it is cheaper as well.  People in the picking houses today still get paid squat, majority are from Mexico doing the picking. So much demand around the country today!!! Everyone loves them blues!

To the comms, wish you the best in the future. To the other recs, it is all about having fun, not greed. If we get a bushel limit and or less gear use, so... We really don't need to keep 2, or the paper shells, or the females, or the 5 1/4, 5 1/2" crabs. Throw them back to help out. I always do this, my preference. Ready for them new laws!!
L8ER

flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2008, 11:19:54 PM »

i thought it was a good year. i would love to see when it is bad

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2008, 09:18:09 AM »

you must of crabbed the north bay..  welcome to the BCA  Grin

madcrabber1113

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2008, 01:52:04 PM »

Why?
BOTTOM FEEDER
Lifetime Member

GUNPOWDER PIRATE

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2008, 10:33:17 PM »

For the " very " upper bay it was a great year .......... no rain,= salty water  so they came way up to find fresher water ......the wye ,and more southern  areas sucked compaired to other years . most of your commercal crabbers  are based in the southern  areas bacause they  come in sooner and go out later...they did'nt do very good ....hence a bad year , hope its mostly that anyway , but what do I know  Roll Eyes  Tongue I'm not saying that there is'nt other problems though Undecided Undecided

Many good seamen go down the drain....I happen to be a lucky one
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2008, 10:38:09 PM »

Just go and have FUN, don't what kind of year it will be.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab

BOTTOM FEEDER
Lifetime Member