April 14, 2021, 06:10:09 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MD/VA Crab Report  (Read 11494 times)
Ducky1929

« on: May 23, 2003, 04:33:09 PM »

I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea how the crabbing in MD/VA has started out this year.  Also wondering if anyone knows of a good spot right now for trot lining.
Crabpop

Home Sweet Home

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2003, 09:30:08 PM »

Ducky1929, successful crabbing depends on where you'll be crabbing.  Northern/middle bay crabbing really hasn't kicked in yet.  Rain and cool temperatures (both air and water) haven't helped.  I've seen reports of some success in the southern-most bay and VA areas.  I believe we're in for some warmer temps next week, which should help to get the crabs moving in the middle/north bay areas, especially in the shallower creeks.  Man, I hope so!!

Crabpop  

Severn, Md USA
Ducky1929

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2003, 04:13:19 PM »

Thanks for the info, I'm gonna probably check out Benedict or the Patuxent next weekend.  I'll let you know how it goes.

-Ducky
Howard

Be Safe Out There

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2003, 09:44:17 AM »

Thanks for the update.  Man I was looking forward to getting my gear ready and heading out for the first time this year.  However the rain and the cool temps put a stop to that.  Sad Man we need some warm air and soon or these crabs will stay down south this year.

Looking forward to dipping my first big blue this year. Grin

Take care and be safe out there.

R/Howard
Steve
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2003, 09:51:29 AM »

The weekend before last (May 17/18) I was able to buy two dozen #1's live from Captain Red's seafood in Kilmarnock, VA. Crabs were only $12/dozen. All were fat and heavy... and boy were they good! My first steamed crabs of the season! Crabs were caught locally (Chesapeake Bay/Rappahannock River).

I had a very hard time finding #1 Jimmies... everyone had plenty of #3's (females)... I had to call Capt. Red's and tell him to hold the jimmies for me.

Doesn't look good! All this rain and cold weather has prevented me from dropping my pots... hopefully in a week or two.

Scott_NRA

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2003, 11:00:00 AM »

I put out a pot in the york Sunday for about 6 hours...one little shecrab.  She went back. Sad

Monday for about 5 hours in a different spot...nothing.  I had chicken, a cut herring and craoker carcase in it.

I guess they wern't interested. Angry

We tried hand lining and trapping too in a shallow spot out in the main river a few miles south of west point.  more nothing. Embarassed

I need a hand linning lesson I guess.  I keep reading that that is the way to go, but i got nothing.  I think I'll start a post on it. Undecided
Kodi

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2003, 07:15:10 AM »

Steve,

Do you have an address for Captain Red's?  How far is Kilmarnock from DC?  I did a map it thing through Yahoo and it looks to be to the west of Richmond.....a little far for a Baltimore boy.

Kodi
Steve
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2003, 07:24:01 AM »

Cap'n Reds Seafood Market Inc
130 Christopher Drive, Kilmarnock, VA 22482
(804) 435-9070

Kilmarnock is about 90 miles due east of Richmond near the Chesapeake Bay. It's about 150 miles from Washington, DC (about a 3 hour drive)... that's a long drive for crabs!!
Kodi

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2003, 07:09:08 AM »

Thanks man.  You're right though that's pretty far to get some crabs.  I gotta find a reasonable place closer to Baltimore.  If ya know of one let me know.  Most of the places I know are charging $150 and over for a bushel.......too rich for me.

Kodi
Dsopata

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2003, 08:37:10 AM »

Try Casey's seafood market in Laurel along rt. 198 or go to the all-u-can eats at Bottom of the bay in Laurel along rt.1 or at Cantlers Riverside in annapolis(my favorite Grin).

Kodi

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2003, 03:02:55 PM »

Mucho gracias dsopata..........

Kodi

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home