December 05, 2021, 09:53:20 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pamlico sound-obx crabbing  (Read 19151 times)
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: April 06, 2008, 11:09:31 PM »

I am heading to Avon,nc for my 10th year and will have a 14 foot boat i take out in the sound. Is it woth taking crab traps this year? Are there crabs in the sound, will launch from Hatteras. how for is the lake mattamusket?

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 01:22:24 PM »

When are you going?? There has been some crabs caught over that way so far(obx), but sponge crabs are increasing and on their northward  trek. I don't know about Lake Mattamuskeet, but I will have a report this coming weekend, unless someone reports before that. If you are familiar with the lake and canals, after this 4 to 5" of rain, I wouldn't travel on Waupoppin Canal, unless you use 4x4 and/or have a tow vehicle ready. I plan on going to Lake Landing, and the Lodge (maybe couple other secret places) on Sat or Sun(which ever is warmest and not raining). GOOD LUCK!!! Grin
BTW........WELCOME TO THE SITE Smiley

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 03:20:29 PM »

I am heading to Avon,nc for my 10th year and will have a 14 foot boat i take out in the sound. Is it woth taking crab traps this year? Are there crabs in the sound, will launch from Hatteras. how for is the lake mattamusket?

FP,

listen to Horsefly and Genecrabman... they are the experts in those areas... Wink

.......Cdog

MD / PA Line
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 03:23:34 PM »

FP,

listen to Horsefly and Genecrabman... they are the experts in those areas... Wink

.......Cdog
experts Huh Huh Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes laugh laugh laugh Dog I hope you're using that term loosely Cheesy

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 03:25:10 PM »

experts Huh Huh Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes laugh laugh laugh Dog I hope you're using that term loosely Cheesy

I'm a  Crabber retard Roll Eyes

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 03:28:14 PM »

I'm a  Crabber retard Roll Eyes
ya got the words in reverse order Roll Eyes laugh laugh laugh Just JOKING GENE Grin
Hey, you better send the guy a email, you can give him better info from that area.
Have you seen sponges yet??? (other than the kitchen sink) Roll Eyes

genecrabman

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 03:31:30 PM »

I didn't go to Hatteras this year, I'm as far south as Wanchese. and I haven't seen any yet...
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 03:31:37 PM »

Well yeah I was.. didn't want to flame or hurt anyone's feelings.. Gosh, try to be nice to someone and pay y'all a compliment and get laughed at... Besides you two are the only resident knuckleheads in the area....   Roll Eyes Grin laugh laugh

.............Cdog

MD / PA Line
genecrabman

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 03:36:35 PM »

Flounderpounder didn't say when he was coming here. Timing can make a difference in crabbing down there. The warmer the water the nastier the crabs taste in the Pamlico Sound..
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 03:37:01 PM »

Well yeah I was.. didn't want to flame or hurt anyone's feelings.. Gosh, try to be nice to someone and pay y'all a compliment and get laughed at... Besides you two are the only resident knuckleheads in the area....   Roll Eyes Grin laugh laugh

.............Cdog
DOGGY, We do appreciate the plug Brother Grin Actually there is a few others on here from NC, but rarely see them post. I wish there was a way to show members listed geographically.

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 03:41:49 PM »

Flounderpounder didn't say when he was coming here. Timing can make a difference in crabbing down there. The warmer the water the nastier the crabs taste in the Pamlico Sound..
You're right, he didn't mention date, as that would make a difference in crabbing. If he was to be say on the mainland side in June/July I would try from Stumpy Point back to Long Shoal for crabs (up in Long Shoal too) depends on if and when the temp warms and amount of rain. I would love to see crabs on the beachs onces again, being able to scoop them up by the 5 gallon bucket (yes they were 98% sooks) but crabs and really tasty.

madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 04:59:31 PM »

Aren't the crabs smaller in the southern outer banks?
madcrabber1113

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 05:30:02 PM »

http://www.thecoastalexplorer.com/GrandpaCharters/?scid=223&intAdID=4183
madcrabber1113

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 06:48:14 PM »

http://www.crabs2go.com/
genecrabman

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 06:49:01 PM »

Aren't the crabs smaller in the southern outer banks?

Around the shoals and inside the reefs the crabs are smaller,At Times. But out in the Sound the crabs are usally pretty nice...Just when the water gets warm, they smell and tast totally different..

PS  I know Russell he's a pretty good Guy!!  Compared to the off-shore Charters at $2,000, he is pretty cheap..

madcrabber1113

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 07:00:06 PM »

Around the shoals and inside the reefs the crabs are smaller,At Times. But out in the Sound the crabs are usally pretty nice...Just when the water gets warm, they smell and tast totally different..

PS  I know Russell he's a pretty good Guy!!  Compared to the off-shore Charters at $2,000, he is pretty cheap..
Yea looks like a fun trip.We may go to Monteo this Summer,might try some crabbing to go along with the fishing.
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 09:05:29 PM »

i will be there first week of june sun to sun. staying in avon, what about ocracoke crabbing?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 09:07:43 PM by flounderpounder » Logged

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
genecrabman

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 09:23:14 PM »

You'll be able to catch "ALL" you want.. More than likely females though. If you want to catch some Jimmies you might want to come up to the Currituck Sound... Give me a Call when you come down and I'll try to let you know where the best crabbing is going on.   Cell # is 252-202-6469
NickG

Nom-nom-nom

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 12:11:54 PM »

Actually there is a few others on here from NC, but rarely see them post.

I am one of those "NC Others" but the best I could do is write stories about how I wish I could drive out to the lake to go crabbing. I will wait for ole' horsefly to let me know they are there then pack up my kids and head over.

If it goes well, please let us know. Good luck.

http://www.witntv.com/cams/880226.html (Mattamuskeet Lake Cam)

-Nick
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 02:02:02 PM »

they need a windshield wiper on that cam today  laugh

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home