November 19, 2019, 04:43:30 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rec's take on proposed regs  (Read 4982 times)
madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 03:03:35 PM »

Comparing an arthropod with a mammal, and using terms like "alpha male" to describe what is essentially a bug with a short reproduction cycle is an error in conception. Anyone with the slightest understanding of genetics and natural selection would understand that variation and advantageous traits could occur in either sex. Actually, just like bugs, a high harvest pressure would tend to lead to more "alpha" individuals (if you want to persist in using this model - think pesticide resistance in insects). The report from the state is correct: crabs are an extremely resiliant species...the population can recover in a couple years (within the current carrying capacity of the bay).
stupid
rogerb

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 05:26:43 PM »

No problem for me - I never take females. Again the starting time does bother me! What difference does that make?
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2008, 08:30:35 PM »

No problem, don't take them period. Wink

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2008, 08:40:10 PM »

No problem, don't take them period. Wink
I think IMHO it's just a personal thing. It takes males to make females and vice versa, it just seems that females take up most of the catch......and at times they do. We'll (you'll) have to wait until they set the new rules in stone, until their butts are fair game. As I say this, the whole comm world is gonna be upside down this year, and probably for years to come. Combination of bad years (in catch) rising fuel costs, which has prompted higher gear costs, then along with the poor ecomony, most will suffer lack of sales. IMHO, I still don't know why no major protests about doing something about water quality first instead of the latter, reduction of catch or means of gear. Like I said IMHO

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home