June 17, 2018, 08:06:20 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New VA regulations April 22  (Read 15198 times)
Tom Powers

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 01:26:22 PM »

Yep so if you have a 300 hard pot license it is 255 on May 1st and 200 on Jan 1st 2009

The Jan 2009 reduction is just a place holder.  The intent is to have a new effort control system in place by then.  Hopefully that gets worked out by November.

Tom
crabberjon
Lifetime Member

Location: Eastern side of western and western side of eastern

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 04:32:06 PM »

Should be a bunch of cheap workboats for sale real soon, especially down south Sad

They have all year to figure out what they can do in those months. They'll be ok.

You don't know if ya don't go....
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2008, 08:42:52 PM »

anyone want some bunker, cheap  Grin
YEP!!
BUT JACK .......................YOU GOT 2 AND THE BOSS HAS 2 TOU ONLY LOST 1 POT AND YOU CAN FISH THEM ON SUNDAY!!!
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2008, 09:34:14 AM »

YEP!!
BUT JACK .......................YOU GOT 2 AND THE BOSS HAS 2 TOU ONLY LOST 1 POT AND YOU CAN FISH THEM ON SUNDAY!!!
I forgot about the "It's Sunday Stupid".  laugh  Trouble is, there aint no way the boss is gona get on a crab boat.  Wink Grin

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008, 10:13:48 AM »

I forgot about the "It's Sunday Stupid".  laugh  Trouble is, there aint no way the boss is gona get on a crab boat.  Wink Grin

Rent yourself some kids for a boat ride.... Grin Grin Grin Grin

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2008, 08:05:57 PM »

They have all year to figure out what they can do in those months. They'll be ok.
Sure they will,after some of them lose boats,trucks,homes and everything else they worked all their life for just maybe the state will retrain them to be outboard mechanics.

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2008, 09:46:21 PM »

Sure they will,after some of them lose boats,trucks,homes and everything else they worked all their life for just maybe the state will retrain them to be outboard mechanics.
Won't be able to run them(outboards) once that price of gas gets way too high. Maybe put them to work picking crabs, crabs that are caught from other states. Or how about planting trees? Or raising the crabs like State of Md had planned a few years back???

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2008, 10:03:18 PM »

Won't be able to run them(outboards) once that price of gas gets way too high. Maybe put them to work picking crabs, crabs that are caught from other states. Or how about planting trees? Or raising the crabs like State of Md had planned a few years back???

I have 4 extra NC licenses, maybe 4 of them can move to Bath and go crabbing, If I can get a Percentage.. Grin
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 10:05:39 PM by genecrabman » Logged
kcullip2006

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2008, 10:26:04 PM »

As I've said elsewhere, pain brings about change.  It can be positive if you let it.  I know; I ruptured 3 disks in my back and two in my neck with a plate and screws.  I thought it was the end of my way of life.  Then, at 39, I had my first daughter.  Because I could no longer be a workaholic, I got to spend precious time with my daughter that I wouldn't have had otherwise.  Even with all the pain, the surgery, all of it, I wouldn't change a thing if it meant giving back that time I had with her.
"nobody on their death bed has ever said, 'I sure wish I had spent more time at the office."

"May all your peach, orange, laundry baskets and coolers, be filled." Tongue
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2008, 10:27:05 PM »

I have 4 extra NC licenses, maybe 4 of them can move to Bath and go crabbing, If I can get a Percentage.. Grin
Plenty of room right now, at least until mid May. Grin

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!

R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2008, 10:44:56 PM »

Son,it beats all I have ever seen,if the price of gas goes to $6 this summer a waterman wont even be able to get on the water as all the space will be taken up by recreational fishermen and boaters.They will have the water too wore out to run in.More boats out today than a nice Saturday last year,Price goes up .15 or .20 and the boat traffic increases 20 percent burning it up like there's no tomorrow

- John Wayne
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2008, 07:49:47 AM »

Son,it beats all I have ever seen,if the price of gas goes to $6 this summer a waterman wont even be able to get on the water as all the space will be taken up by recreational fishermen and boaters.They will have the water too wore out to run in.More boats out today than a nice Saturday last year,Price goes up .15 or .20 and the boat traffic increases 20 percent burning it up like there's no tomorrow

Ronnie

There is a lot of truth to that.  Being so close to Solomons, it is hard to imagine how many boats I pass every morning heading down to the island.  And most of them are big boats with twins on the back.  On any given day, drive through that lot and half of the tags are from out of state ( the closest state is over an hour away).  They not only spend the money to run the boat but the long drive in the full size trucks to get there.  All this for one trophy rock per person per day......  High price gas will not stop this.  Last weekend I couldn't find a spot in the lot and if anyone knows the lot size, it's no "wye" lot.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2008, 09:06:56 AM »

I noticed that the boats seem to be getting bigger here too,lots of big HP twins.

- John Wayne
jdhendrick

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2008, 09:08:56 AM »

I read about the new regulations.  It's hard to tell if they will make a "big" change for the future.  It seems that the pollution and diseases have a strong impact on our problem.

I was worried about the jobs, incomes, families/children that will lose out.  I was glad to see that it was taken into consideration this time.  Having crabbers doing something else to "help" the situation and getting paid with hopes the crab population returns in a few years.

The national economy is supposedly headed toward a recession, so a lot of people will be in financial straits.  Getting on the government payroll seems pretty good since the money would keep rolling in.

Gas prices:  I haven't noticed anybody slowing down due to gas prices.  The roads are packed with cars and SUV's.  I don't know how high it will have to go to get people to conserve or cut back.  And, it seems that the price slowly increases so it doesn't shock people like a big jump would.

J.D.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2008, 09:18:32 AM »

I noticed that the boats seem to be getting bigger here too,lots of big HP twins.

Ronnie

I went into a yamaha dealer last weekend and couldn't believe my eyes.  They had a 350hp.  It was huge and taller then me (I know I'm not tall but [dang]).  The salesman told me it was basically a small block Chevy.  I asked him how much that thing guzzled.  He told me on the right boat, it sips 12-13 gallons an hour.  I don't use 12-13 gallons in two days and hope to use less with this new motor.

crabberjon
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2008, 09:24:06 AM »

Well the state should definately help them. Just like they help the farmers when theres a drout. It may not be the best help but at least its something. I would hate for anyone to lose all they've worked for. But unfortunately the way crabbing keeps going they could find themselves out of work regardless.

madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2008, 03:19:47 PM »

Well the state should definately help them. Just like they help the farmers when theres a drout. It may not be the best help but at least its something. I would hate for anyone to lose all they've worked for. But unfortunately the way crabbing keeps going they could find themselves out of work regardless.
What about all of the other people who are out of work?At what point do we need to say this aint working anymore maybe I'd better find something else to do.The government is me and you paying for all of this stuff and since it goes through the government that means most of our hard earned money gets wasted.
crabberjon
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2008, 04:00:09 PM »

Well I agree with you on that. There are many people out there that lose their jobs and they try to do whatever they need to to find work. If they are lucky enough to know its coming then they cant complain when they don't plan ahead.

madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2008, 04:10:06 PM »

Well I agree with you on that. There are many people out there that lose their jobs and they try to do whatever they need to to find work. If they are lucky enough to know its coming then they cant complain when they don't plan ahead.
That happened to my wife and her mother.They both work at Avon but Avon has decided to move their plant to Ohio because it's cheaper which they have every right to do in  a free market.My wifes mom has worked there for 40+ years and my wife for 15 years.They went and found other ways to earn a living.I did have to listen to how it wasn't fair and all of that [curd].I had to explain to my wife that life has no guarantees and nothing is fair.It is what you make out of it.She finally listened to me,stopped crying in her milk and started her own business and is doing what she loves to do.The only problem is she is not a good business person and cuts people too many breaks.I'm working on that next.  laugh whip
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2008, 05:16:34 PM »

Thats the real pisser,these guys have plenty of sooks to catch,it's the big males all y'all want to catch that are in short supply and all these new regs are just smoke n mirrors,when the rains come in the right amounts and at the right times or a hurricane stirs the bay up there will be crabs
That happened to my wife and her mother.They both work at Avon but Avon has decided to move their plant to Ohio because it's cheaper which they have every right to do in  a free market.My wifes mom has worked there for 40+ years and my wife for 15 years.They went and found other ways to earn a living.I did have to listen to how it wasn't fair and all of that [curd].I had to explain to my wife that life has no guarantees and nothing is fair.It is what you make out of it.She finally listened to me,stopped crying in her milk and started her own business and is doing what she loves to do.The only problem is she is not a good business person and cuts people too many breaks.I'm working on that next.  laugh whip
Differance is I bet your wife had the option to go to Ohio and keep her job.What should be done is give all the effected crabbers gill net licenses and let them net rockfish that time of year and keep them working.

- John Wayne

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home