October 17, 2019, 09:18:26 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crabby lab looks to put pinch on declining crab population  (Read 2058 times)
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« on: April 25, 2008, 03:31:12 PM »

Crabby lab looks to put pinch on declining crab population
April 25, 2008 - 6:27am

This one from the crab lab only has last 5 more inches to grow to be an adult. (WTOP Photo/Kate Ryan) Kate Ryan, WTOP Radio

COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- They have more blue crabs in their basement than you could find in any Inner Harbor seafood restaurant. And what they're doing they hope will help the fate of the blue crab.

They are the researchers at the University of Maryland's Biotechnology Institute, who are working to boost the number of blue crabs in the Chesapeake Bay.

Dr. Yonathan Zohar is overseeing a project where crabs are being raised in tanks. In just a single tank, 230,000 crabs are being raised.

The aim is to raise a large number of crabs and study their biology.

The Chesapeake Bay has seen its crab population dip from 900 million 10 years ago to below 200 million now.

The researchers hope the knowledge they obtain by studying the crab will help the crabs avoid the fate of the oyster. Oyster populations have been devastated by disease, pollution and overfishing.

"We don't want to be in the same situation for the crab," Zohar says. "If we don't act now, reversing this decrease, it will be too late."

To protect the crustaceans, both Maryland and Virginia are cutting back their female crab harvests.

Zohar says the dual-state pledge is a good thing.

"The blue crab does not have state boundaries or political boundaries."

Zohar does not blame overfishing alone for the decline in the crab population.

"We work with the watermen," Zohar says. "The watermen are our best partners."

(Copyright 2008 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)

Kate Ryan, WTOP Radio

COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- They have more blue crabs in their basement than you could find in any Inner Harbor seafood restaurant. And what they're doing they hope will help the fate of the blue crab.

They are the researchers at the University of Maryland's Biotechnology Institute, who are working to boost the number of blue crabs in the Chesapeake Bay.

Dr. Yonathan Zohar is overseeing a project where crabs are being raised in tanks. In just a single tank, 230,000 crabs are being raised.

The aim is to raise a large number of crabs and study their biology.

The Chesapeake Bay has seen its crab population dip from 900 million 10 years ago to below 200 million now.

The researchers hope the knowledge they obtain by studying the crab will help the crabs avoid the fate of the oyster. Oyster populations have been devastated by disease, pollution and overfishing.

"We don't want to be in the same situation for the crab," Zohar says. "If we don't act now, reversing this decrease, it will be too late."

To protect the crustaceans, both Maryland and Virginia are cutting back their female crab harvests.

Zohar says the dual-state pledge is a good thing.

"The blue crab does not have state boundaries or political boundaries."

Zohar does not blame overfishing alone for the decline in the crab population.

"We work with the watermen," Zohar says. "The watermen are our best partners."

(Copyright 2008 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)

Last year I think it was, they had discussed having the comms actually help with raising them and releasing them back into the wild, around 3" big. Sounds like a good plan, IMHO Smiley

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 03:34:35 PM »

I hope it has a positive impact.I wonder who is funding this?
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 03:38:09 PM »

I hope it has a positive impact.I wonder who is funding this?
That is the million dollar question because I thought funding/ or grant money was cut off. Maybe his own pocket money along with special intrest groups, or people just like you and me. Would be good to find out though Huh

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
Pinchy

Instructions: Hunt, fish, crab - rinse and repeat.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 12:39:48 PM »

Crabby lab looks to put pinch on declining crab population

I am flattered to have received such a prestigious assignment. My plans include:

1. An immediate moratorium on waterfront development on the entire Chesapeake seaboard
2. Government training programs and financial assistence to any and all licensed comms injured by the new regulations - in order to transition to new careers
3. Multi-state plan to find practical alternatives to residential use of garden fertilizers and pesticides.

~Lord Pinchy~

Please pack your trash out, pick up others', and leave your fishing spot cleaner than when you found it.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 12:43:15 PM »

I am flattered to have received such a prestigious assignment. My plans include:

1. An immediate moratorium on waterfront development on the entire Chesapeake seaboard
2. Government training programs and financial assistence to any and all licensed comms injured by the new regulations - in order to transition to new careers
3. Multi-state plan to find practical alternatives to residential use of garden fertilizers and pesticides.

~Lord Pinchy~
does the chesapeake have a seaboard  Huh Grin

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

crabbygramps
In Memoriam (1/2013)
Lifetime Member

awww geeeez....another one

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 01:12:05 PM »

does the chesapeake have a seaboard  Huh Grin

Absatively..."they" make all the all the decsions reguarding the sea...nyuk nyuk nyuk.

"CHESAPEAKE FEVER" catch it and you'll know "WYE"
madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 03:26:05 PM »

~Lord Pinchy~
Good luck my lord.  Roll Eyes
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 03:28:49 PM »

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab

Pages: [1]   Go Up