June 19, 2019, 05:00:52 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Outer banks Beach access closed to Off Road vehicles  (Read 1839 times)
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: May 01, 2008, 01:17:17 PM »

Not sure if you all heard about them closing the beach access for ORV for the entire OBX.  supposedly the EPA and Dept of the interior were suppose to write a policy reagarding off road vehicles use of the beach.  Well for 30 plus years it never got written and then the tree huggers filed suit in court stating that since the ORV policy has not been written the pushed for an injunction to block any more ORV on the beach until a policy is written outlining the use and areas allowed by ORV.  well the judge agreed and enforced the enjunction and now no one can drive on the beach until such polucy has been written, submitted an dapproved by the poers to be and approved by the courts.  This is all due to protecting the nesting area of some bird that has a nesting area on the beach in some areas.  So now a lot of floks lifestyle and way of life will be greatly impacted.  Charter capts, tackle shops, restuarants, ahotels etc as 90 % of visitors fish at lest one day during their stay in OBX.  I am all for conservation, but some of this stuff goes way out of bounds.  so a few tree huggers have basically shut down the beach from any access to surf fish, ride the dunes, sun bath, boogie board or surf or whatever.  all for some stupid bird.  Meanwhile the local are going to suffer economically.  How many of us may look to vacation somewehre esle since we have now lost beach access.  No more driving out to Oregon Inlet, Salvo, Waves, Rodanthe, Buxton, Cape Point, Hatteras or Ocracoke.... period.. until this policy is written and approved and in place.  that will take the gov't years to get done.  By then they will have a stronghold to allowing any access or limited at best.

Check out WWW.CHAPPA.COM

Maybe some of you North Carolinians can fill me in on the latest. 

..Cdog

MD / PA Line
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 01:43:41 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Effective immediately nighttime driving is banned on Cape Hatteras National Seashore beaches.

That because of a consent decree signed yesterday by U.S. District Court Judge Terrence Boyle, settling a lawsuit over the beach driving issue.

Park Service Superintendent Mike Murray says beginning today all of their beaches will be closed to off-road vehicles from 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.

The nighttime ban was enacted to increase the chances of successful turtle nesting. The ban lasts until November 15th. After that the consent decree says the park service may issue permits for driving at night.

Rangers will enforce the ban. Violators face up to six months imprisonment and up to a $5,000 fine.

Wednesday's Story

A federal judge has signed off on a proposed settlement of a lawsuit over protecting endangered wildlife along parts of the Outer Banks while still allowing driving along the beach.

At a hearing this afternoon in Raleigh, District Court Judge Terrence Boyle approved the plan to continue allowing vehicle access along the Cape Hatteras National Seashore.

Environmental groups sued the park service over concerns that the beach driving plan didn't do enough to protect wildlife on the beach.

“Today's decision is evidence that we can protect our native wildlife without sacrificing traditions like beach driving, fishing and surfing that are so important on Cape Hatteras National Seashore,” said Jason Rylander, an attorney with Defenders of Wildlife.

Both Dare & Hyde counties voiced a concern about lost tourist revenue and gained a voice in the settlement process.

“The long standing position of our Board is to support free and open access to all users of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. The efforts of Defenders of Wildlife and National Audubon to restrict or deny access to America’s beaches by the public are shameful," Warren Judge, chairman of the Dare County Board of Commissioners said in a news release.

Find this article at:
http://www.witntv.com/home/headlines/18425119.html 

« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 01:47:27 PM by horsefly » Logged

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 02:25:36 PM »

HF,

thanks.  I just heard they were trying to bann all ORV period.  I heard something went thorugh, did not know it was night time driving though.  not as bad as first thought, but it is a foot  hold into banning it all.  I hear dit was also for some kind of semi endangered bird nesting also.  i know they ahave areas for the turtles, as I have seen them fence off also bird nesting.  Better than first thought.  thanks for hte update.  the CHAPA website has not had any updates for over a week and was unclear where things stood.  I figured you would know being a transplant tar heel!

MD / PA Line
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 02:53:57 PM »

Thx HF,  glad to see someone had some sense down there.  I had heard the injunction was trying to shut down the beaches for good period.  no access....

MD / PA Line
madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 04:25:29 PM »

That is public land correct?  Undecided

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 04:36:38 PM »

That is public land correct?  Undecided
Well yes and no, it's Federally owned or kept for the people, who soon will only be able to see the beach from Google Earth Satelite pics. The ban is from the Cape Hatteras Seashore (starts below Whalebone Junction)to Ocracoke Island

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
madcrabber1113

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 04:39:22 PM »

Probably the same people who keep us from drilling for our own oil  Angry It will be a total ban at some point.It is the swing of the pendulum and we know which way it is swinging currently  Cry
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 04:44:59 PM »

I can see it now, the back up at South Point on Ocracoke. I'll have to spend the night, to get up and get in line at the access road about 3am. I hope the keep the path maintained. With all of those vehicles hauling butt at once, it will probably do more damage to the beach. Probably set up a traffic lights and let 5 trucks thru at a time. I don't understand why they didn't just mark off(rope off) the nesting areas like they do for the terns??? Or at least limit access to those areas. Ya would think you can run over turtles and baby turtles just as well in daylight too, ya think???

madcrabber1113

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 04:52:04 PM »

I can see it now, the back up at South Point on Ocracoke. I'll have to spend the night, to get up and get in line at the access road about 3am. I hope the keep the path maintained. With all of those vehicles hauling butt at once, it will probably do more damage to the beach. Probably set up a traffic lights and let 5 trucks thru at a time. I don't understand why they didn't just mark off(rope off) the nesting areas like they do for the terns??? Or at least limit access to those areas. Ya would think you can run over turtles and baby turtles just as well in daylight too, ya think???
Well that would make sense and these groups don't have much of that!I won't be going there like I used to  Cry  That is a real shame imo.
Sunpal

Pickin' n' grinnin'

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 09:06:47 AM »

So, if you live in Md or VA, and you scream that pollution and overdevelopment are ruining the blue crab population, you're doing the right thing as an intellegent person, but if you live in NC and want to protect nesting birds and turtles, you're a "tree-hugger"; did I get that right? Huh

If it weren't for going in circles, I'd get nowhere

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 09:24:44 AM »

So, if you live in Md or VA, and you scream that pollution and overdevelopment are ruining the blue crab population, you're doing the right thing as an intellegent person, but if you live in NC and want to protect nesting birds and turtles, you're a "tree-hugger"; did I get that right? Huh
Turtle/tern hugger.....and no I don't fit their extremist views on how to handle that. Read the above way I thought it should have been done. I am with MC on this, I wonder what snowball shiz they gonna throw next.....my bad it's election year Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Sunpal

Pickin' n' grinnin'

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 10:14:41 AM »

Turtle/tern hugger.....and no I don't fit their extremist views on how to handle that. Read the above way I thought it should have been done. I am with MC on this, I wonder what snowball shiz they gonna throw next.....my bad it's election year 

Gee, that would make me a "crab-hugger"; OUCH That's gonna hurt. Cheesy

I do see your point, there are useally less extreme methods to reach the same goal.  Right or wrong, it seems whomever screams the loudest first gets heard.  Modifying this law is going to take a lot more effort than it took to create it.

If it weren't for going in circles, I'd get nowhere

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home