May 22, 2018, 03:55:58 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel Tangent from RULES FOR RECS  (Read 17583 times)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2008, 07:21:25 PM »

We looked at all the energy sources available.  Geothermal was the best, for us, but at our age we would not live long enough to recoup the installation cost.. Wind was good.  Down here it blows almost all the time, but the storage of the energy wasn't there yet. 

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
kcullip2006

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2008, 10:02:43 PM »

i used to build a ton of decks and many tear downs in the process. most deck surfaces are 2 by 6`s  straight as a arrow and treated as a bonus. these i used to build my place. can`t beat free. 6 inch insulation is about 33 percent better.   Smiley   lgc
33%?  That's incredible!

"May all your peach, orange, laundry baskets and coolers, be filled." Tongue
kcullip2006

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2008, 10:07:50 PM »

The house we built is 2x6 outter walls and 2x12 for floors and attic.  Everything is insulated even between floors.  Cost, in a 30 year mortgage to build with the bigger lumber, a couple dollars a month more. 
That's what both of the other gentlemen I spoke of said also.  My question is how long ago did you build this?  And what made you think to do it?  Did you know you were going to save a lot on heating and cooling?  I ask this because you are only the third person I have ever known to build with 2x6s.  I would kill for 12 inches of attic insulation! laugh

kcullip2006

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2008, 10:13:32 PM »

By the way, I just finished watching another fantastic special on the Chesapeake Bay that focused on the Anne Arundel county building boom along the waterfront.  I wish I would have taped it.

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2008, 10:13:43 PM »

That's what both of the other gentlemen I spoke of said also.  My question is how long ago did you build this?  And what made you think to do it?  Did you know you were going to save a lot on heating and cooling?  I ask this because you are only the third person I have ever known to build with 2x6s.  I would kill for 12 inches of attic insulation! laugh
To even top that, maybe new home builders should go to insulated concrete, not only for heating and cooling savings but longevity of it as well.

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!

kcullip2006

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2008, 10:15:18 PM »

To even top that, maybe new home builders should go to insulated concrete, not only for heating and cooling savings but longevity of it as well.
I've never heard of that.  Is that something new?  The insulated part?

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2008, 10:23:11 PM »

I've never heard of that.  Is that something new?  The insulated part?
You'd have to google it, I lost the info that was in my favorites. Some guys down my way did some homes I think after hurricane Isabel, they say these home withstand 180 mph winds. Some how the material has some sort of insulation in it(particles) and is laid out(poured) with molds.

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2008, 10:25:34 PM »

I left off, the one guy who had a 2800 sq/f house built says that he only used corn fed furnance, only a small bit too. (I forget the amount), but he said he didn't take much to keep it 68 inside.

kcullip2006

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2008, 10:34:24 PM »

I left off, the one guy who had a 2800 sq/f house built says that he only used corn fed furnance, only a small bit too. (I forget the amount), but he said he didn't take much to keep it 68 inside.
The Univ. of Md. has a facility on the Wye that burns "switchgrass" in a special type of furnace/boiler to heat the whole operation.  They grow all the switchgrass there making them for all intents and purposes, self-sufficient.  Wouldn't that be nice?  To just call up the oil or gas company and say, "No thanks.  I'm good.  Take me off your list." laugh laugh

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2008, 10:45:36 PM »

The Univ. of Md. has a facility on the Wye that burns "switchgrass" in a special type of furnace/boiler to heat the whole operation.  They grow all the switchgrass there making them for all intents and purposes, self-sufficient.  Wouldn't that be nice?  To just call up the oil or gas company and say, "No thanks.  I'm good.  Take me off your list." laugh laugh
Not to be a smart [arse], but grow a renewable resource such as hemp,(not the smoking type) maybe there is a burnable heat or energy source not tapped yet. If worse comes to worse the farmer just grew so groovey materials for clothes and shoes. or better bamboo???

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2008, 10:49:00 PM »

Kcullip, here is some links about the concrete

http://www.insulatingconcretehomes.com/what_are_ICFs.html-or-

ThermaEZE
19548 Gunpowder Rd.
Millers, MD 21101
(800) 266-9963
www.thermaeze.com
-or-
Super Block Systems
16365 Falls Rd.
Monkton, MD 21111
(800) 830-8867 or (410) 771-4093 / Fax: 410-771-4203
www.superblocks.com
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 10:55:09 PM by horsefly » Logged

kcullip2006

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2008, 11:08:31 PM »

Kcullip, here is some links about the concrete

http://www.insulatingconcretehomes.com/what_are_ICFs.html-or-

ThermaEZE
19548 Gunpowder Rd.
Millers, MD 21101
(800) 266-9963
www.thermaeze.com
-or-
Super Block Systems
16365 Falls Rd.
Monkton, MD 21111
(800) 830-8867 or (410) 771-4093 / Fax: 410-771-4203
www.superblocks.com
Both those places are within 30 minutes of me.  Thanks!

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2008, 11:39:28 PM »

I read ove the info again it says 200 mph winds and fire rated to 2 or 3 hours. Wish I could show you the house the guy built down here in either Camdem or Chowan counties. Finger the geo thermal heat cool source,and then solar/wind for the power. All grey/rain water can trickle thru used oyster shells and pebble into a sistern, and use that for irragation etc. To me that's moving forward in a eco friendly way. Did any of you guys see the morning news about hot springs in Alasko and how he turned that resource into energy to supply the resort??? Other area tribal towns and thinking/doing the same.

Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BITE ME

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2008, 12:13:31 AM »

Not to be a smart [arse], but grow a renewable resource such as hemp,(not the smoking type) maybe there is a burnable heat or energy source not tapped yet. If worse comes to worse the farmer just grew so groovey materials for clothes and shoes. or better bamboo???

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
kcullip2006

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2008, 12:47:30 AM »

I read ove the info again it says 200 mph winds and fire rated to 2 or 3 hours. Wish I could show you the house the guy built down here in either Camdem or Chowan counties. Finger the geo thermal heat cool source,and then solar/wind for the power. All grey/rain water can trickle thru used oyster shells and pebble into a sistern, and use that for irragation etc. To me that's moving forward in a eco friendly way. Did any of you guys see the morning news about hot springs in Alasko and how he turned that resource into energy to supply the resort??? Other area tribal towns and thinking/doing the same.
I've thought about a lot of those kinds of things long before these ridiculous prices hit us.  I live in a prefab residential development right now where the homeowner's assoc.. sues you if you forget to close your mailbox.  I'd love to get a small piece of land, maybe 5 acres, where I could implement some of these ideas.  For now, I just have to caulk and insulate the best I can to save energy.
I didn't know geothermal energy was viable in this area.  I know it supplies about 80% of the power in Iceland, virtually elimanating the mercury and other carcinogens produced from burning coal.

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2008, 03:11:40 PM »

I've thought about a lot of those kinds of things long before these ridiculous prices hit us.  I live in a prefab residential development right now where the homeowner's assoc.. sues you if you forget to close your mailbox.  I'd love to get a small piece of land, maybe 5 acres, where I could implement some of these ideas.  For now, I just have to caulk and insulate the best I can to save energy.
I didn't know geothermal energy was viable in this area.  I know it supplies about 80% of the power in Iceland, virtually elimanating the mercury and other carcinogens produced from burning coal.
Oh heck yeah! I read maybe the Balitmore sun or something, home owners along the bay etc, have installed geothermal heat/cool systems in their homes. Something about the ground water (deep) that maitains a constant temp pretty much year round. During summer months, the cooler water gets heated, and returned to ground,cools back off and comes back. I guess I super cold nights, solar panel heated water warms the house or wood heater. I have friends that live around Cumberland, Md that use as much green/eco friendly methods possible. The house uses solar and a outside wood burning boiler. I have a friend down here that does the same thing, but takes used fish bait boxes, old crab boxes and baskets and burns them instead of just firewood itself.

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2008, 05:54:04 PM »

The house was completed in Feb. 2007.  It was at the recommendation of the builder that we went with the 2x6 walls.  In addition to the insulation, every opening was foam covered.  In most homes, insulation is not even put in spaces less than 3 inches between studs.  Those spaces in this house are all foam filled, even down to 1/4 spaces between studs, etc. I know cause I re-insulated it after the insulation contractor was all done. All windows are foamed in place. There are 2x12's between each floor (filled with insulation) and each floor has its own heat system.  All interior walls are insulated.   The Greatest thing is not the savings on heat and cooling (don't get me wrong thats great too) but how quiet the house is.  We can have a [Sam Hill] raise party going but you can still go to bed and have piece and quiet.  Wink

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
kcullip2006

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2008, 09:30:58 PM »

The house was completed in Feb. 2007.  It was at the recommendation of the builder that we went with the 2x6 walls.  In addition to the insulation, every opening was foam covered.  In most homes, insulation is not even put in spaces less than 3 inches between studs.  Those spaces in this house are all foam filled, even down to 1/4 spaces between studs, etc. I know cause I re-insulated it after the insulation contractor was all done. All windows are foamed in place. There are 2x12's between each floor (filled with insulation) and each floor has its own heat system.  All interior walls are insulated.   The Greatest thing is not the savings on heat and cooling (don't get me wrong thats great too) but how quiet the house is.  We can have a [Sam Hill] raise party going but you can still go to bed and have piece and quiet.  Wink
That's awesome!  Need a border? laugh laugh laugh

Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2008, 12:39:58 AM »

So the rules for Recs are spend a little money to insulate your house properly to save costs so you have money to go crabbing. rolleyes4 So who said we were off topic. laugh laugh

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
kcullip2006

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2008, 01:48:42 PM »

So the rules for Recs are spend a little money to insulate your house properly to save costs so you have money to go crabbing. rolleyes4 So who said we were off topic. laugh laugh
EXACTLY!!!
 laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home