November 18, 2019, 04:26:26 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wooden Crab float for shedding crabs  (Read 16816 times)
mdbrowndog

Ignore
« on: April 28, 2008, 01:50:19 PM »

Does anyone have directions to build a floating wooden shedding tank? I saw one with small wire on the bottom and wood on the sides and on the top, but I can not find pictures on the Internet to copy it. I was planning to tie it to a dock and has 2 compartments to seperate the green crabs from the rank crabs.

Thanks for your help.
Mike
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 04:01:22 PM »

this might help Mike: http://nsgl.gso.uri.edu/vims/vimsh84001.pdf but you might have more sucess with a float tank..  The eels down here tear up the soft crabs. they suck them right thru the wire or wood slats.  and little eels are really good at getting into the floats too

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 04:03:13 PM »

for a small operation, couple doz peelers, two stock water tanks from the feed store and a small pump work great

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
mdbrowndog

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 01:47:38 PM »

Jack1747

Thanks for the help. Where can i buy the water tanks? I saw the fiberglass tanks in the link you sent me but I can seem to locate a place that sells them.

Thanks

Mike
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 03:00:07 PM »

Jack1747

Thanks for the help. Where can i buy the water tanks? I saw the fiberglass tanks in the link you sent me but I can seem to locate a place that sells them.

Thanks

Mike

If your talking about "stock watering tanks" like I use, I get them at any feed store that handles things for horses.  I use the low ones. I think they are 50 gallons.  The tanks have threaded drain plugs in the side.  A trip to the hardware store for some fittings to make a overflow and you are all set.  They last forever. They look like this http://www.tank-depot.com/productdetails.aspx?part=A-ARM-10115 sides are 12" high.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 03:02:25 PM by jack1747 » Logged

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 03:20:46 PM »

better yet they look just like this  Wink Grin

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 03:56:55 PM »

We have used those plastic kiddie pools before as a back-up. We put drains in the niddle etc. If you had to build one out of wood, make sure you use untreeated lumber. But use 3/4" plywood, not OSB. Make sure you caulk everything before nailing, then caulk the inside edges, use Marine Type Caulk 5200. Sides need to be at least 8" high.

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 07:13:39 PM »

...I use the feed bins above, but as filters. My tanks are made 4x8 with ply wood and 8" sides, with pool liners.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
mdbrowndog

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 09:57:46 AM »

OK

I think I might use the bins for shedding the crabs. I am looking to shed about a dozen or so at a time. If I use the bin for shedding the crabs do I need to have another tank to filter the water? If I need another bin what type of pump do I need to push the water between the 2 tanks?

Thanks for your help.

Mike
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 10:15:45 AM »

if you are going to use them on your pier, like I do, I just pump the water outta the creek and the over flow goes back into the creek.. i have 2 tanks. one for busters, etc....  I have been using the cheapest submergable pump i could get from lowes but they only last a season and a half.  this year i am going to try a spa pump..

mdbrowndog

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 10:19:22 AM »

I think I will use a closed system. I would like to use a 50 gallon plastic container and fill it with oyster shells for the filter. I could use another tank for the filter tank.

Mike
DipNSip

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 10:35:10 AM »

I used to do this decades ago. You can keep the peelers and bustners in the same tank. The trick however is to break the top part of the two piece claw by bending it upwards. Do this by holding the crab by it's claws and letting it grab onto a sturdy object (Wood) then slowly bend backwards until it snaps.They can no longer squeeze anything until they shed and become hard again.
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 10:47:50 AM »

First off, you want to check local law for keeping green peelers, as they may be illegal and considered undersize. But, if ya build a tank outta a 4x8 sheet plywood as I stated above, we use small mesh bait well wire or short pieces of peeler pot wire inside the width of the tray to seperate the reds from yellow, or males from females. Also, we use the same material to make small circle pens for those crabs that pop. The less you handle peelers and busters the better chance of survival of tasty softies. Wink Grin

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
mdbrowndog

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 12:35:09 PM »

Well it looks like i need to go with a closed shedding system. Let me know if this diagram that i modified will work.
I was planning on using 2 50 gallon plastic barrels and one 4x8x1 shedding tank. I plan on using oyster shells in the first barrel.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Mike
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 05:18:58 PM »

....make sure you read up thoroughly on running a closed system. They can be tough. I'm on my third year running closed systems and I haven't profected it yet.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty

mdbrowndog

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 09:44:49 PM »

Chris

What do you recommend I read? I looked at some of the articles from the main page but let me know if there is something that explains everything in plain English.

Thanks for your help.

Mike
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 06:48:47 AM »

There is a lot of info on closed systems,google it. This is my 11th year and I have almost got it finaly,just have to add a protien skimmer this summer.best advice I can give you is anytime something  is wrong,change the water.

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home