February 19, 2019, 07:50:20 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Could'nt wait  (Read 13589 times)
rdbeard

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2008, 09:38:51 AM »

welli could'nt wait any longer, split a bu. females with my brother sun. $70. bu fat heavy females mixed sizes mostly small and med. great tasting with lots of orange eggs inside.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 12:12:55 PM »

it's nice to have some crabs to eat . glad you enjoued em. hope soon you will be catching your own.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
ILLSWIMHOME
Lifetime Member

Shake N Bake

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 01:22:38 PM »

welli could'nt wait any longer, split a bu. females with my brother sun. $70. bu fat heavy females mixed sizes mostly small and med. great tasting with lots of orange eggs inside.

Gee, wonder why there's a decline on em.

Crab on!
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 01:25:50 PM »

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

21seacat

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 01:32:16 PM »

Couldn't have said it better!!

lreops
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 02:08:29 PM »

Who should we be the most disgusted with,  furious the person that sold them or the  veryangry person that bought them Huh

Ron

Always looking to learn
Always looking to share
Always looking for fun
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 02:13:16 PM »

The person who caught them.  Shocked Embarassed

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 02:17:11 PM »

Why should there be any disgust?  As of today, It's not against the law to buy, sell or catch females.  This is a personal choice and the commercial fisherman chose to feed his family today and so did the person buying them.  What you or I feel has nothing to do with the legality of the issue.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 03:38:15 PM »

I second.  Wink
lreops
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 05:35:46 PM »

Legality is not the issue here, although it can create a good point. The issue is more of a conservation or what can "I do" to help preserve a well known and talked about problem the crab industry is now and has been experiencing for some time. It's all about being able to see the "Big Picture"  and about changing attitudes that start with one person at a time. We are long past due to get rid of the "Me" attitude and realize that we must all start thinking with an "Us" attitude and what is best for all of us. I could elaborate more but will not because I think and hope that we as a civilization are beginning to realize that our individual actions affect more than just us as individuals.

That, in it self, is the reason for my comment of disgust. Disgust that the "personal choice" (again the "Me" attitude) of catching egg bearing females now so that, as it is going now, there won't be any for future generations and endangering his own livelihood and disgust that someone is not ashamed to broadcast that they are enjoying the fact that they are helping to diminish a threaten resource.

Now, I'll probably get flamed and ridiculed by some and so be it. This is just my opinion and belief and will always be my opinion and belief.

Ron

Always looking to learn
Always looking to share
Always looking for fun

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 05:48:56 PM »

I for one, do not keep sooks.  It is my personal decision.  That said, I agree 100% that as long as it is legal, and there is a market for them, sooks will be caught and bought.  This has been beat to death here on the forum.  AND we have made great moves forward in educating folks that sooks are not worthless cause they only spawn once.  More and more folks have learned that sooks spawn multi times.  But the sooks are the crabbing industry.  The canned crab you buy are almost all sooks.  Once they have been harvested, they are dead anyway.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
sighanson

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 06:19:50 PM »

Why would you even buy small or mediun crabs?  Sounds like a lot of work to get a little meat, and to boot, why would you buy spawning females?  Stupid decision...I'm sorry. $70...you got taken to the cleaners and also hurt our fishery at the same time....way to go Cry
Seaweed
Supporting Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 06:56:11 PM »

A bushel of small sooks has more meat than a bushel of larger crabs.  More crabs in the bushel, more meat.  rdbeard bought crabs that were already caught, and going to die, so how did he hurt the fishery?

Git 'r dun!
procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 08:40:42 PM »

Who should we be the most disgusted with,  furious the person that sold them or the  veryangry person that bought them Huh

are you talking about people who eat male crabs?  yes they are potentially doing more damage to the population than those who eat females.  But what can I say, if published scientific evidence cant convince them, nothing will. 

Reproductive potential of individual male blue crabs, Callinectes sapidus, in a fished population: depletion and recovery of sperm number and seminal fluid

Matthew S. Kendall, Donna L. Wolcott, Thomas G. Wolcott, and Anson H. Hines

Abstract: We evaluated the depletion and recovery rates of sperm number and vas deferens weight following mating for male Callinectes sapidus both below (<127 mm carapace width) and well above (>140 mm) the fishery size limit for hard crabs in Chesapeake Bay (127 mm). Large males had low sperm count and vas deferens weight immediately after mating and required approximately 920 days to fully recover. After mating, small males had significant reduction in sperm number despite no significant change in vas deferens weight. Furthermore, small males with completely recovered seminal stores had significantly lower vas deferens weight than fully recovered large males but did not differ significantly from large males in number of sperm. The changes in vas deferens weight and sperm count following experimental mating suggest that large males delivered 21 times as much seminal fluid and 2.25 times as much sperm as small males. Field collections in a subestuary of Chesapeake Bay revealed that the majority (5090%) of males had extremely low vas deferens weight relative to males with fully recovered sperm volume. Since the fishery targets males primarily, reducing both the number and average size of males in the population, many females may be mated with small or recently mated males that transfer less seminal material.

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 08:41:03 PM »

Why should there be any disgust?  As of today, It's not against the law to buy, sell or catch females.  This is a personal choice and the commercial fisherman chose to feed his family today and so did the person buying them.  What you or I feel has nothing to do with the legality of the issue.

Remember what he said above. Besides sooks may have not came from bay waters.

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!

procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 08:55:55 PM »

Legality is not the issue here, although it can create a good point. The issue is more of a conservation or what can "I do" to help preserve a well known and talked about problem the crab industry is now and has been experiencing for some time. It's all about being able to see the "Big Picture"  and about changing attitudes that start with one person at a time. We are long past due to get rid of the "Me" attitude and realize that we must all start thinking with an "Us" attitude and what is best for all of us. I could elaborate more but will not because I think and hope that we as a civilization are beginning to realize that our individual actions affect more than just us as individuals.

That, in it self, is the reason for my comment of disgust. Disgust that the "personal choice" (again the "Me" attitude) of catching egg bearing females now so that, as it is going now, there won't be any for future generations and endangering his own livelihood and disgust that someone is not ashamed to broadcast that they are enjoying the fact that they are helping to diminish a threaten resource.

Now, I'll probably get flamed and ridiculed by some and so be it. This is just my opinion and belief and will always be my opinion and belief.

But this is the most idiocentric of the "ME" attitudes.... that because "you" believe something to be right or true, that everyone else is therefore wrong, not only in their actions, but in their morality behind them.

I say this not to be inflammatory, but it belies the the true problem of bay restoration.  the modern tragedy of the commons comes in the "coastal conservation association (CCA)" format, where a minor population of fishermen and crabbers chooses to look at all other's behavior and say "that is tragic".

While in actuality, since these individuals think they do no harm, they do not modify their own behavior... they keep as many male crabs as they catch for instance, since hey, it is only the females that matter, but then science shows that keeping males hurts the population also... then that fact gets ignored.. I also call this the "tidalfish" effect

another case is that recreational catch and release-related death of rockfish equaled the entire commercial take for the last few years.  catching and releasing fish cant be bad right?  right?

ILLSWIMHOME
Lifetime Member

Shake N Bake

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 12:03:03 AM »

Rdbeard, sorry if I turned this into something it wasn't set to be.  I wasn't pointing a finger at you in any way it was more towards the lawmakers but I don't think that was apparent.  As it was already mentioned, if it's legal and there is a market, the females with eggs will be harvested.  I'd hope that someday they will be made illegal if they are bearing eggs but that's just me.  Like alot of people here I throw the girls back but I wouldn't be pissed if someone else didn't especially if you're allowed to.  In NJ if she's orange she goes back, to me it just makes sense.  I wouldn't expect anyone to take em back to where you bought them from because you know as well as I do that they won't be set free, I just wish they were released from the get go. 

Glad you got a little taste ahead of the season! 

Crab on!
sighanson

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 06:49:57 AM »

Seaweed,
A bushel of crabs is a bushel of crabs.  More crabs means more meat?  Doesn't make sense.  It all evens out whether you have a bushel of #1 or smalls.  And he didn't have to buy the females did he?  It would have been better if he had not bought them and they did die.  And I never heard that a sook is heavier than a male.  Possibly if your talking about a light crab right after the shed compaired to a full female.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 06:53:07 AM »

I'd hope that someday they will be made illegal ......

Sponge crabs are illegal to keep in Maryland.  But other then that, how would one know if a female had eggs inside?  Point is, if the crabs are in such demise, it will take more then just banning females.  If you continue to harvest all the males (esp the big alpha males that we all target), what will be left to spawn the females that you are trying to protect?   This has always been a personal opinion of each of us and I also have my personal feelings on keeping females but it's not my objective to blast a person for making the choice to keep something that is legal.  We should not blast a person for making the choice to support a commercial fisherman doing a job that is as of today a legal profession.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
dredgecrab

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 07:01:28 AM »

tomorrow i expect about 25 bushels of cushions. as long as it is legal i will sell them. right now it is either peelers or cushions. i don't have any peeler pots so the cushions will have to be sold. maybe next week i will work on shedded males. they don't weigh as much so i am undecided. i personally believe all the rules and regs are just a bunch of scientists scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas to keep getting funding for their paychecks. most of us working watermen support a limit. 20 to 25 bu a day year round. that would make things so much easier. crabbing has been good this year so far. plenty of peelers and hard crabs.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home